The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Rob, that RCMP guy was Shane Acquin. I remember he had a 70-72 4dr, white, with flares. Was this the year he pulled us over on the approch to Squeemish? He was driving the marked Suburban.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510Freak
Supporter

69er project

Post by 510Freak »

man the hood is cool,heres a positive feedback Byron old school is always cool Lou :D
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

manoman, I can't make up my mind if I like it or not. Da hoooood,it is soo loooouvered. If it were aluminium and you could leave it unpainted that'd be so hotrod, maybe flat black, then I'd like it on my car.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
ThRob

Post by ThRob »

Just a couple of points from 510rob photo link, is that hood on Jamie M. car the one you have now Byron? if thats true does that mean that orange 510 is know my blue one with the backwards louvred (sp?) hood? I guess you were serious about not sellin' that hood to me :D

later,

Rob

Summer Car 1972 Datsun 510
Winter Car 1981 Honda Accord hatchback
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Rob, I would guess that Jamie removed the hood in the photo to use on his Red car - and it never happened. He had two hoods made, each with louvers in different directions. I got the one that Jamie kept for possible use on his red car, and I guess you ended up with the other hood; the louver direction being the only difference. I'll finish the hood, and then make up my mind on what I'll do with it. Lets see how it looks.
ThRob

Post by ThRob »

I think it'll look great, but I'll buy it if you don't want it anymore :wink: what colour are you gonna paint the '69?

later,

Rob

Summer Car 1972 Datsun 510
Winter Car 1981 Honda Accord hatchback
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That'll be the suprise. It'll be the traditional Nissan White, Red Blue I think. We'll see.....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Got the front half of the cage done today, and trial fitted the dash. To bad it wasn't going together to stay! Nest week I'll engineer the pedal box and steering column mounts. More pics in the gallery under 69 Resto Project.
Attachments
IMG_2543 (Small).JPG
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

have a pic of how it goes through the dash?
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

byron, are you putting in a headliner once it's done? That'll be hard won't it? Have you ever installed a cage with the headliner still in, I'm assuming you will say yes, cause who want's to remove windows and headliner if they dindn't have to, but with the welding and grinding and painting would have your interior a mess right?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

As you guessed, the headliner will not be installed on my car. I've done a few 510's keeping the headliner in place, but it's really tricky not to hurt it. It can be done though, it just takes time, and the cage will not be as close to the roof, as the headliner hangs down quite a bit. I wanted my cage as out of sight as possible. And the stock headliner really doesn't do much for sound deadening. It would be very possible to glue something to the roof around even this cage if sound were a issue. You'd get the best of both worlds that way.
Cam, I don't have a close up of the cage going through the dash, if your interested, I'll get one next weekend when I go back to work on it some more. I have to work today, so I won't be out there.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So I went down to Specialty Engineering today to pick up the brake goodies. Aside from the restoration, this will definitely be the biggest chunk of change spent on this project. Listed here is pretty much a G-note, but it will be worth it. A fully adjustable brake system is something I've never toyed with. I can't wait!
Attachments
IMG_2643 (Small).JPG
IMG_2643 (Small).JPG (43.63 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

More progress this weekend on the car. It was time to finish the cage, and get the dash bar figured out, steering column mounted and position and mount the pedal box. This was way harder than it looks in the photos. It took a full day (12 hours) to get the steering column and pedal box just right.
Attachments
the steering column in place. nice clean brackets were made to mount it.
the steering column in place. nice clean brackets were made to mount it.
the pedal box mounted.
the pedal box mounted.
This is what the final product will look like with the dash in place. The dash bar can't be easily seen in it's location, and the glove box and ash tray will be able to remain. I'm working hard to keep it clean looking.
This is what the final product will look like with the dash in place. The dash bar can't be easily seen in it's location, and the glove box and ash tray will be able to remain. I'm working hard to keep it clean looking.
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

Nice work Byron! Super clean, and very well thought out!
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

are you changing the steering tilt?I want to tilt mine down a bit.