The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

so what's the current situation?

I need to know...I hate being out here, out of the loop.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Baz

Post by Baz »

caesarDX wrote:No kidding... I have double the chance of being a shishkabob.
Maybe have to wear steel chest plate like in knights in medieval
times.. So what about it Byron... are we in danger of being
threaded like a button and a needle?
I can tell you from experience about this.
Put my 510 speedway rig into the wall. Full cage & reinforced.
Split my sternum from top to bottom. Took the ambulance about 15mins to drive 1.5 miles. Felt like there was a sumo jumping on my chest the pain was nearly blacking me out. Spent weeks on my back & my mates visiting me told me jokes to try & make me laugh. bloody sadists!!!
Seriously the docs told me that usually an impact like that tears the heart.
I was lucky to survive.
I will NOT do SR conversions unless we fit a collapsible column.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Guys,

The current situation is.... well I haven't gone near the thing since April, with the exception of putting a dolly under it so I could move it around. After the ANM this month, I do look forward to getting going on it again. I have a pile of collected parts and new tools that just need to be used! Time, time, time.....I'll keep you posted. I have to get the 69 done so I can start thinking about the ice racer again!! Wahoo!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Ice racing sounds fun ... I should be able to do by next week at the current rate. It snowed here tonight...

It shoulb be fun the winter for you guys if you all make it out. It's dad's last winter, so I want to make it for atleast one weekend.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Byron510

Back to it.....

Post by Byron510 »

So, I've been back at work these last couple weekends. I started by plumbing the interior brake and fuel lines. I finally put that $2K worth of pedals, fittings, new tools and stainless tubing to use. It felt good actually. I then removed the lines and finished stripping the interior of all the old speckle paint. The last few days have been spent on bodywork. These front fenders have over 10 hours each in them. This is nuts, has any one else taken for ever to do body work?? Anyways, it feels good to make some progress, enjoy the pics.
Byron

PS Having technical difficulties, can't post the photo's......
Last edited by Byron510 on 27 Oct 2004 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
caesarDX

Post by caesarDX »

Byron,

Good to see you working on your project again. Think it will be finished
by next summer? As for body work... I've inhaled my share of duraglass
and bodyfiller.. never again... pay to play... save the time. Farm out
what you don't want to do... or not efficient at doing.

pics pics pics
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 BMW E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
2001 Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 1
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

yea, I spent for-ev-er stripping my car to metal and doing the bodywork on my car mostly because I was learning as I went Put too much filler on sand too much off, repeat.. I think it has been long enough though that I have forgotten how much fun it was because I have actually been thinking of doing another car
Byron510

Let's try this again......

Post by Byron510 »

So today I finished the inside of both doors and the trunk lid. All I have left in the body work department is (are) the hood(s) and the front valence panel. Man do I look forward to seeing it in paint. I guess I need to pick a colour! It's still up in the air, but I would like to paint the interior the same colour as the exterior, unless that colour turns out to be a light colour, in which case I'll choose a darker colour for the floor area so the reflection on the glass will be cut down. (note: I do not intend for there to be any carpet, it's all go, no show here - I'm sticking to that!
Byron
Attachments
A shot of the brake lines around the column, a bit trick to package neatly.
A shot of the brake lines around the column, a bit trick to package neatly.
IMG_3928, resize.JPG (112.55 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
The under dash plumbing....fuel lines can be seen on the pass side.
The under dash plumbing....fuel lines can be seen on the pass side.
IMG_3932 (Small) (Small).jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
A photo of all the finished lines that will be in the cabin area, I'll finish the rest of the brake lines after paint is done. I plumbed in a fuel reture line for future considerations,,,,
A photo of all the finished lines that will be in the cabin area, I'll finish the rest of the brake lines after paint is done. I plumbed in a fuel reture line for future considerations,,,,
IMG_3942 (Small).jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
rnorrish

RE: Let

Post by rnorrish »

Still haven't decided on a color?!
Is there any you're leaning towards?
Still thinking BRE scheme?
And I'm guessing no more spackle in the interior then...

In the first photo, what is the line on the furthest left? the one with the tee.
richard norrish
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The "T" is off the front master cylinder, the line headed to the left will route to the front, left brake; the other side of the "T" obviously headed to the right, front brake. The two loops that are visible on either side of the column are (left) from the clutch master and the rear brake master cylinders. (Its a triple cylinder set up, which I guess isn't too clear in this photo) I will keep all lines out of the engine compartment to keep it a little cleaner.
Byron
Attachments
Here's a better photo from above the pedal box.
Here's a better photo from above the pedal box.
IMG_3931 (Small).jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

didn't notice that one...the one I was looking at I think is for fuel. I'm now guessing it's the split for the carbs?...
richard norrish
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yep, that one is for the fuel. I spit the line on the inside of the cowl area, just two fittings will protrude through into the engine compartment. I also plumbed in a currently redundant return line for the fuel, just in case something else happens in the future, kinda like EFI....not happening anytime soon!
Byron
Attachments
IMG_3938 (Small).jpg
Byron510

more progress....

Post by Byron510 »

So, I’ve got some more progress to report. Got both hoods stripped - amazingly there was no panel work to do, nice change anyway. The louvered hood looks great all polished up. The roof took a bit of work to straiten out, there is none of the sound deadening material left on the underside, so it's pretty flimsy and had to do body work on. An the last thing I got done this weekend was get al the old lacquer based paint off the fenders, I still have a lot of work to do on those. Typical fiberglass, wavy as hell! Some updated photos.
Byron
Attachments
Paint off of fenders..
Paint off of fenders..
the last of the work on the roof...
the last of the work on the roof...
The louvered hood looks great all polished up....
The louvered hood looks great all polished up....
Byron510

body work finished, door bar done on cage

Post by Byron510 »

So I'm finally out of the body work stage... for now. Next I plan to do the priming stages and paint the interior. Man I look forward to this!

But most of the weekend was spent on the door bars on the cage, I wanted them removable, so a lot of time was spent here - 20 hours on the door bars and their related brackets! No wonder this project is taking forever!

Now I just have to finish the welding on this part and we're ready to paint.

Posted a few pics.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_4195 (Small).JPG
Detail of the FIA approved bracket.
Detail of the FIA approved bracket.
IMG_4171 (Small).JPG
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

One last photo of the door bars in relation the the seat mounted.
Attachments
IMG_4163 (Small).JPG