Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RMS
Supporter

Re: Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Post by RMS »

lots of cool places in the harrison area Image

how many cars can you count ? Image

this is the back side of the Breckenridge glacier in 2009 Image

the last climb before nahatlatch Image
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I could tell you about a huge mining scam that involved the property at the end of Harrison, North end of course, back in the early 70's.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

my buddy is the caretaker @ port douglas...... behind the podium in the old cook shack, where investment meeting were held, hangs a poster of a guy standing beside a big hole in the ground with a quot from Mark Twain "the definition of a gold mine: A hole in the ground with a liar on top."

its sad they bulldozed the town of port douglas to make the mining camp.... some remnants still remain hidden in the undergrowth
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I wonder if it is the same gang that I was very loosely involved with in the beginning of my career in this industry? I did a LOT of work on material that came from the end of the lake.
In my archives ( still looking) was a promotional brochure I had from 1970'ish time.. I spent the last year writing about some of the scams I have seen or had tried to warn people of what was going to happen if they followed through. I will post some up in a bit.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Hey there Keith, Byron, Robyn, and all other orators.

Thanks all for sharing. I'm still making my way through the retelling of your great memories and experiences. It's discussion threads like this that set this site apart from others. Yes, we love our cars. But they are only one chapter in our novel-sized life. I'm hoping I can contribute to this thread a bit more in the coming years.

Clint
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We have been very fortunate to end up with such an eclectic group of fine minds and experience on this site.

While I do not partake in other sites, the odd time I drop into the G35 site points out how good this site is. The amount of misinformation on there almost makes me want to scream at times.

This site is peopled with 49 years worth of Datsun experience, with TRUE hands-on and technical skills.

I like to think that this thread and others lets us see who we really are as a collective group of people, with other life experiences that make who we are.

I can honestly say, as does my son, who is now in his 30's, that the group that we took, hiking, partying and other adventures, were/are great roles models, that let him see the best side of people!

Most of the core group of Vancouver people I have now known for well on 30+ years.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Been awhile since I added to this thread.

Soon I will have my "science fiction" story on here and it DOES involve 510's.

These pictures are 510 related and go back to my opening story in this thread..GARAGES.

In 1970 I was teaching my future wife how to drive, in my new 1969 Wagon. We were not far from my parents Fort Langley home and had stopped in a gravel area next to a hydro sub station, one with those huge wire fences. Somehow Betty got reverse instead of first and I did not notice. When she let the clutch out the car just lurched back in reverse with some throttle and went right into that fence, wrecking the drivers door, rocker, and scratching the back door..YIKES.

I decided to repair it myself, changing out the door after getting it painted. Did not worry about the rocker, but, my nice new car was not so new anymore. We changed it out in my friend Evan's driveway in Richmond.

The one picture in bad shape was also done during my dark room photo days, so it was a test print, hence the finger shapes on there.

That is my 58' Chevy Delray, 3 on the tree, straight 6 and my brother's car which was only ever used in the fields in Fort Langley back in a time when you could get away with that. Again that story is in the GARAGES tale.
Attachments
1969 Wagon_000030 (Large).jpg
1969 Wagon_000030 (Large).jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
1969 Wagon_000029 (Large).jpg
1969 Wagon_000029 (Large).jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
1969 Wagon_000027 (Large).jpg
1969 Wagon_000027 (Large).jpg (402.91 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
1958 Chevy_000033 (Large).jpg
1958 Chevy_000033 (Large).jpg (248.57 KiB) Viewed 4965 times

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Blue flame six!
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WOW...not heard that term for 50 years!!!!

I did not of course have the Blue Flame motor, I had the lowly 136 HP one, the Blue flame I believe was 150 for the Corvette.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

In digging through my collectible boxes I came upon a 1984 Edition of AUTOWEEK, where it profiles the restoration of the BRE 510 and had some cool old car ads. Not sure if you can read it but it is an interesting bit of history.
Attachments
Sharp (Large).jpeg
Sharp (Large).jpeg (426.64 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
Nissan ad (Large).jpeg
Nissan ad (Large).jpeg (343.88 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
Bre Car2 (Large).jpeg
Bre Car2 (Large).jpeg (420.89 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
BRE Car (Large).jpeg
BRE Car (Large).jpeg (441.72 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

I wrote this little “story” some 25 years ago now, but, at the time I had no back story to it. Some thought I was on drugs.

Maybe…

Bear with me as you will see it does involve our cars.

I have always been a science fiction fan, growing up in the late 50’s and 60’s, reading all the classic science fiction works, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, etc. New authors came onto the scene as the 70’s and 80’s rolled on. One author in particular and a movie also influenced me. Post Apocalyptic worlds have always fascinated me, wondering if my outdoor survival skills would do me well.

The author was our very own Vancouver writer, WILLIAM GIBSON, who wrote BURNING CHROME in 1982 and NEUROMANCER in 1984, is the person who is credited with initiating the term “Cyberspace” and solidified the cyberpunk genre!

The movie was TRON, also released in 1982, which was the first use of computer animation, which I totally “got”, even though I was nowhere a computer geek at the time. From that movie I have used the term “End of Line” in my story. The Master Control Program from the movie I also loosely use as the data base.

For you non locals the Stave Lake mentioned in the story is a hydro electric dam not far from Vancouver, I just put it into the future. I was indirectly exposed to “Cold Fusion” via my work in the late 80’s, when Fleischmann-Pons did their so called experiment.

The car I mention is owned by Gary Koehn. His two sons, Noel and Jason were racing too and it was Noel who started the 510 Club of B.C. in 1991. It was Gary who helped keep the BERT VORGON joke rolling for many years, which was a standing joke really only known by local 510 people, long before the 510REALM came along. Their racing endeavor's I just moved to the future, as I saw a natural progression. The Vorgon Decelerator just moved into the future too.

The Hyper-Dyne I mention was from an arcade game from the mid 80’s..Hyper Dyne Side Arms, from CapCom. I was never any good at all with arcade games and they would eat my quarters like no tomorrow, to the point I acknowledged I was terrible. I never went back to video games till the 1st Gen Xbox came out with DOOM, after playing it on the computer in 1993. It was the first of first person shooter games that defined gaming.

The two workers mentioned were Club members at the time.

Now, for my part, that triggers the story. I’m sure psychologists could have a lifelong study with me, such an attachment to an inanimate object, being my 510. I have many reoccurring dreams of something happening to my car, wrecks (I have had 2 in a 510), theft, (many break ins to my cars here in White Rock) and stuff just being messed up on the car, after all my work has been done. In my defence, this year is 50 years with Datsun’s, of which 30 years was spent racing with total commitment to being competitive.

I like to think that maybe what I wrote was a bit prophetic now, with our 510s becoming valuable, the move away from fossil fuels, performance really becoming something society frowns on now, at least here in the lower mainland. It almost in some ways address’s the move to self driving cars. I think it is funny also that a BIG track was finally built, not in Princeton, but in Oliver!

So, I risk again posting this story, and,

Journey again………

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Into The Wastelands

Morgan slammed the canopy closed, half listening for the click and hiss as the Sled armed itself. Morgan knew the hacker-jackers sometimes came into this area and could get through most computer alarm systems in fifteen seconds. They would have a hell of a surprise if they got through his alarm. Morgan was still pissed at getting this call so late in the day. It had taken him an hour and a half just to get clearance to shunt over from the White Rock/Seattle Expressway, then, onto the old Langley/Mission Mag-Lev. From there it was a short run out on the abandoned Dewdney Freeway, never repaired after the earthquake of 2070. Morgan's instructions had been clear though.

"Anything with wheels," Morgan had said.

"Anything with wheels!"

Morgan was in charge of Com-Nets entire Salvage and Re-cycle operations. The area from Coquitlam to Mission had been totally evacuated and abandoned when Hydro's Stave Lake Cold Fusion plant melted thirty years ago. Only in the last two years had salvage crews been able to go in and start to remove the tons of copper Power-Grid cables and other recyclable materials. He had sent two of his youngest City-Techs, Scott and Roy, into an old area in Mission to checkout some of the old towers and buildings. They had moved into an even older section near the Fraser River, when they found it. Morgan had vaguely remembered from reading old books, that there used to be a small race track close by. The City-Techs had been chiseling some Power-Grid cable off a wall when a section had collapsed. Behind this wall they found some sort of wheeled vehicle in a small room. "It had better be good!" thought Morgan, when he had gotten the call.

He loved his job. With his security clearance he could get out on some of the better sections of the abandoned freeways and throttle his aging MazFord up to ninety percent. He still remembered his first ride in a friends Sled. It had one of the then new Hyper-Dyne Hydrogen Engines. The fellow had modified the hydrogen pumps and ran some Micro-Dense fuel, highly illegal, but un-Godly fast. His nose bled for an hour after, but he never forgot that ride. Occasionally kids would get onto these sections, restricted to only Police and the salvage crews, and race. The only things left sometimes after the ensuing orange fireballs would be the Titanium/Ceramic engine cases.

Over the years nothing of any real value had ever been found. Occasionally an early Mag-Lev would turn up, rusted and crumbling. Morgan always dreamt of finding something of interest.

As Morgan walked down towards the four story building, one of the City-Techs stepped from the shadows, his bright orange U. V. suit clashing with the dull gray of concrete and aluminum. The U. V. index was high today, seven minutes 'till full burn.

"What have you got?" said Morgan.

"It’s in the back of the parking grid!" Said the City-tech, Scott.

"Better wear a dust mask!" said Roy, the other City-Tech, "The pigeon shit and dust is fairly thick."

As they walked down the sloping ramp, through the fading sunlight, Morgan could see where they had been chiseling the Power-Grid cable off the wall with the Hydro-Sled. What had collapsed was not a wall but a sealed hydraulic door. Morgan stepped over the dried out door seal. In the glare of the Hydro-Sled's lights he could make out the shape of some sort of wheeled vehicle under a cover of sorts. Protruding from under that were four flat rubber tires. On the walls all around the room were fading racing posters from the late nineteen nineties.

'We didn't touch anything!" said Scott.

"Can we go now?" whined Roy. "Our shift ended ten minutes ago and we'll miss the shuttle!"

The shuttle would pick-up the workers and take them out to the Chilliwack Rendering and Re-cycle site at the end of each day. Behind that would come the #5 Salvager with its huge hydraulic mandibles, dragging the copper and aluminum into it from the City-Techs work.

"Hang on a minute," said Morgan. "Scott, you take my key and go back to my sled and get my Com-Link. Roy, you get on the Hydro-Sled and call up the history of this building and property."

Morgan started to peel the cover back from the vehicle, a fine layer of dust rolling off. The level of preservation was amazing, no doubt due to the seal on the hydraulic door holding for so long. It looked to be some sort of old passenger vehicle converted for racing purposes and painted a brilliant yellow. The number seventy-seven adorned the door in large letters. Inside was a single form fitting seat similar to the G-Seat in the MazFord. As the cover came off the back end, Morgan could see on one side, in metal letters, Datsun, and on the other, 510. Morgan stepped around to the driver’s side and reached for the door handle, afraid to touch it lest it crumble like the old Mag-Levs had. Morgan held his breath, gently lifted the handle, and was greeted with a solid clunk as the door opened. He started to slide into the seat when Scott came back.

"What the hell is it?" said Scott.

"I do not know, pre turn of the century." Morgan said.

"I'll punch into Com-Nets library and get some information."

"I've got Mission grid on line here now, also." Roy said.

Morgan took the Com-Link from Scott, sliding back into the seat. He was really excited now, realizing this was quite the find. Good thing these two are so young, not understanding the potential value of their find.

"You can go now, I'll look after things here." Said Morgan.

Scott and Roy walked up the ramp, happy to let Morgan finish.

Seven keystrokes later Morgan had the Com-Net library on-line.

>>>>Search>>>History/Automobiles’ /pre-2000 A.D. . . . Datsun/510

>>>>Searching>>>Wait...

Datsun 510... Built by a Japanese car manufacturing co. 1968-1973. Changed name to Nissan by mid-1980's. Company made first in-roads to North American car market with this model. Known for reliability, simplicity, and availability of performance modifying parts. Won many races and championships with this model. Became somewhat of a cult car in the early 1990's. Many car clubs were formed around this marquee, but none so large as the 510 Club of B.C., founded by a Noel Koehn. Membership was thought to be 1,200 at the turn of the century. The Nissan Company was taken over by GM. and any vestiges of the company were lost when swallowed up by the Mazda/Ford conglomerate.

For further information, see the following:

510 Club of B.C.. (Canadian Headquarters)
KoehnTech MotorSports (1994)
Bert Vorgon (Braking Systems)
Specialty Engineering (Racing / Worldwide)
Hyper-Dyne Hydrogen Engines
MazFord

>>>>End of line>>>>

Morgan could not believe it, who would leave such a car as this. He set the Com-Link on the car floor and grasped the steering wheel. It had been years since he had last held a wheel, all MazFords and Mag-levs used joysticks now. A primitive type of shifter still moved freely as Morgan pushed and pulled it. He thought it was interesting that it had more instruments than his MazFord. Morgan was almost afraid to look under the hood to see if the power-plant was still there. Climbing out of the car he walked around to the front. Removing the restraining devices, he lifted the hood off. Eyes bulging, he stared at what appeared to be a simple fossil fuel burning engine. Amazingly, on the fire wall, was a component that Morgan recognized! It bore a resemblance to a similar device in the MazFord, albeit a crude or early model. It was a Vorgon Decelerator and Pressure transducer on the braking system. Stepping back in shock, Morgan had to find out who had owned this building. Running back to the Hydro-Sled, Morgan’s mind was racing. How was he going to get this car back to his garage and to safety?

The Government had paid out trillions in insurance claims after the meltdown. They had all salvage rights. They would never appreciate this car. Morgan climbed onto the Hydro-Sled, the glowing green of the Com-Net screen staring at him. Morgan punched the co-ordinates of the building into the computer.

>>>>City of Mission/Grid 4/Block 51N. E. sector>>> >>>>Searching>>>> wait
Building #5, Four story, Concrete and aluminum facia..
Land originally owned by a Mr. Ron Farmer, who operated a small racing track here in the late 1990's. Track was taken over by the Koehn Family who ran their racing endeavors from a small shop on this site, 1996-2018. Existing building constructed, in partnership with Bert Vorgon, to house KoehnTech MotorSports and the headquarters of the 510 Club of B.C..

Final research and development of the Vorgon Decelerator was done at this site. KoehnTech MotorSports moved the entire operation to 'MotorSport World' outside of Princeton, B. C.. Reasons given were noise and pollution. Official records show that the new Hyper-Dyne Hydrogen engines were even too fast for the talents of Bert Vorgon. Mission was too small of a track and the 10Km. straights at MotorSport World were a major attraction for teams from all over North America.

For further information see:

510 CLUB OF B.C. (CANADIAN HEADQUARTERS)
KOEHNTECH MOTORSPORTS (1994)
BERT VORGON (BRAKING SYSTEMS)
SPECIALTY ENGINEERING (RACING / WORLDWIDE)
HYPER-DYNE HYDROGEN ENGINES (CERAMICS IN RACING)
MAZFORD
RACING AND HYDROGEN FIRES (A PRACTICAL MANUAL)

>>>>End of Line>>>>

Morgan was beyond belief. On the side window of the car was a KoehnTech MotorSport decal! This car was potentially the original test vehicle for their racing endeavors, sealed in this room to hide it from the prying eyes of the competition back then. But, why in hell was it left here? Keying back into the Com-Link library, Morgan wanted to see if there was any sort of a listing for the value of this car.

Seconds later there it was;

KoehnTech Modified 510. . . 1.5 Million North American Dollars! Only 2 known to have been built.

Morgan wiped the screen, thinking the layer of dust was obscuring his vision. "Holy MazFord!!" Morgan screamed. There it was on the screen, 1.5 million N.A.D.'S. Morgan’s heart was racing now, the find of a life time at his feet.

Shutting down the Hydro-Sled, Morgan started back up the ramp towards his MazFord. After the #5 Salvager passed, which Morgan could hear about 1Km. away, he would have eight hours to spirit the Datsun away to his garage. First he would move the MazFord to the other side of the building, away from the prying eyes of the Police Sleds. Dis-arming his sled, Morgan climbed in, powered up and moved down and out of sight of the Dewdney Freeway. Morgan had some friends who could help him to move the old car that night. It took two slams to get the old canopy to latch again.

"I'll have to replace that sometime!" Morgan said to himself.

Walking back up along the side of the pollution, blast stained building, Morgan could hear the #5 Salvager, pulling in the day’s recovered copper and aluminum scrap, with its huge hydraulic mandibles.

"Cripes, sounds awful close!" Morgan thought.

Running now, he was almost at the corner of the building where the garage opening was. Almost at the corner, it sounded as though the Salvager was at the garage door. Rounding the corner, Morgan started to scream.

"God no! Stop! Stop!" Morgan yelled.

Around the corner now, Morgan saw the horror of all horrors, the tail end of the Yellow #77 Datsun 510 disappearing into the jaws of hell!

"N000! N000! N0000!" Morgan cried………

"What is it Honey?" Morgan’s wife said, sleepily.

Morgan sat up, bolted out of bed, and ran down the stairs, throwing open the garage door.

"Is everything O.K. ?" Morgan’s wife yelled from the bedroom.

Morgan stared down into his garage.

"Yeah, Yeah! Everything's O.K.. Just that damn nightmare again!"

Sitting in the garage, yellow, polished and ready for the next Vintage Event at MotorSport World, was Morgan's mint 1973 KoehnTech Datsun 510.

In the kitchen the computer clock clicked the radio on.

"To-days U. V. Index is very high, seven minutes to full burn!" The morning announcer said.
Outside, the sounds of MazFord’s powering up, and the Mag-Lev system running, greeted the start of a new days commute.

Keith Law, Feb.3 1994

P. S. Keep those 510s'... You never know!!!!

>>>>> END OF LINE >>>>>>
Attachments
Into the Wastelands_000026 (Large).jpg
Into the Wastelands_000026 (Large).jpg (450.36 KiB) Viewed 4780 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The "Real" Gary Koehn car and garage Circa 1994.
Attachments
At Knox Mountain
At Knox Mountain
scan0017 (3).jpg (286.48 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
KoehnTech.JPG
KoehnTech.JPG (130.86 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
#77 on the trailer
#77 on the trailer
028 (2).jpg (127.36 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
#177 on the trailer
#177 on the trailer
028 (2).jpg (127.36 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
scan0017 (3).jpg
scan0017 (3).jpg (286.48 KiB) Viewed 4778 times

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Wow, how different it is reading that in 2019...thanks for the memory jog Keith.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Keith,awesome science fiction story. I still say that you have to write a book.