Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Great story and pics Keith and Matt. It is really great to see a father and son enjoy so many memorable journeys together! It looks like it was another great trip.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Nice story & pics Keith! :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

8)

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Awesome read Keith! Thanks for sharing! I'd consider joining a future adventure on my motorbike if the route worked!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Always get right there with you while reading these Keith!

Josh & I are due for a backwoods trip this fall, please post if your heading back up.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We are off this Thursday for what will likely be our most dangerous trip of the summer!!!!

First, we will be running the gauntlet of the West Vancouver police, who diligently monitor the stupid 60 Km ( 40 MPH ) speed limit at Lions Bay, ready to haul an unsuspecting motorists car away, leaving them stranded on the side of the road.....

Then...upon getting to Whistler, we will have to avoid marauding hordes of cycling tourists, usually accompanied by a rogue 12 year old, who does not want to be there, and has no sense of where he is, nor what is around him.....coupled with the odd local mountain bike rider, all armored up for the A-LINE, riding what is basically a 55 lbs Husquavarna with the motor and fuel tank ripped out....going full blast....

Then.....as we head to the kayak rental business on Alta Lake, risk being run into and having hot Latte spilled on us by more tourists sipping Starbucks, wearing the latest, shiny MEC clothes and Tilley hats.

Then...after entering the water...we encounter people that have NEVER paddled a canoe or kayak, going in never ending circles...

Then...as we enter the "River of Dreams"...the specter of "T"-boning is ever present, let alone the one "sweep" on the River where the current washes the rookies into a pile of canoe/kayak mayhem, that we have to negotiate past.....

Then...there is the dreaded drive back in the clapped out 40 year old Bluebird school bus shuttle, driven by a Rastafarian Australian kid, with an expired work visa, as he tries to duke it out with the sport bike crowd coming back from their Duffy Lake run.....

Wish us luck...give me a grizzly on the trail any day.......I know how to deal with that....
Last edited by bertvorgon on 19 Aug 2014 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You knockin" the Tilly Hat? :lol:

Had mine 20 years, outlasted every other hat I've owned, and it still looks somewhat respectable. I've recently tested its ability to float even after all these years, and it still the best 100% UV blocker that's even been kept in the glove box. Mine however doesn’t look quite as presentable as those you’ll find in Whistler – mine has well-earned patina and a shade that only comes with time.

Good luck, wish you success and a few good rapids.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Your hat has earned it!

Hey, lets plan a 4 x 4 trip in the fall, back into this area, for a 510 camp out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm pretty sure you could count me in as a passenger - nothing I drive will clear more than a small stone!

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Matt and I are so going to plan this.

We have extra tent(s) should they be needed. We will maybe try for the end of September, before it gets too cold in the mountains.
Byron
Jason & Josh
Matt & Keith
James & ?
maybe Steve from Atomic

we would have to plan seating and room of course. Hopefully the campfire ban will be lifted by then.

Keith Law
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

bertvorgon wrote:We are off this Thursday for what will likely be our most dangerous trip of the summer!!!!

First, we will be running the gauntlet of the West Vancouver police, who diligently monitor the stupid 60 Km ( 40 MPH ) speed limit at Lions Bay, ready to haul an unsuspecting motorists car away, leaving them stranded on the side of the road.....

Then...upon getting to Whistler, we will have to avoid marauding hordes of cycling tourists, usually accompanied by a rogue 12 year old, who does not want to be there, and has no sense of where he is, nor what is around him.....coupled with the odd local mountain bike rider, all armored up for the A-LINE, riding what is basically a 55 lbs Husquavarna with the motor and fuel tank ripped out....going full blast....

Then.....as we head to the kayak rental business on Alta Lake, risk being run into and having hot Latte spilled on us by more tourists sipping Starbucks, wearing the latest, shiny MEC clothes and Tilley hats.

Then...after entering the water...we encounter people that have NEVER paddled a canoe or kayak, going in never ending circles...

Then...as we enter the "River of Dreams"...the specter of "T"-boning is ever present, let alone the one "sweep" on the River where the current washes the rookies into a pile of canoe/kayak mayhem, that we have to negotiate past.....

Then...there is the dreaded drive back in the clapped out 40 year old Bluebird school bus shuttle, driven by a Rastafarian Australian kid, with an expired work visa, as he tries to duke it out with the sport bike crowd coming back from their Duffy Lake run.....

Wish us luck...give me a grizzly on the trail any day.......I know how to deal with that....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LUV IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
gooned

Post by gooned »

When your back lets talk dates, I have an invite to Whipsaw on the 13/14...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Mr. Vorgon; You have graced us with many great stories, both on and off the black top.

Regarding the "Off the Blacktop" part, and in addition to rather cool Cruiser you posed last week. I caught this in the Lee Valley Tools parking lot in Coquitlam this week. My dad was with me - he loved it/ So, I reckon Matt's Suzuki needs these upgrades :D
This thing dwarfed my Xterra. I assume the Axles were mid 80's Toyota truck, and the rest was just cool.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_3779 (Large).JPG
IMG_3779 (Large).JPG (249.16 KiB) Viewed 4471 times
IMG_3778 (Large).JPG
IMG_3778 (Large).JPG (248.4 KiB) Viewed 4471 times
IMG_3777 (Large).JPG
IMG_3777 (Large).JPG (331.13 KiB) Viewed 4471 times
72squirrel

Post by 72squirrel »

iv been offloading with that tracker before the thing is pretty cool :P you were close to my 510 should have come by and looked at some sweet rust haha
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

72squirrel wrote:iv been offloading with that tracker before the thing is pretty cool :P you were close to my 510 should have come by and looked at some sweet rust haha
Had I known where you lived, I would have :D I never miss a chance to meet a 510 guy.

Byron