Brad's '69 project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
defdes
Supporter

Re: Brad's '69 project

Post by defdes »

Wow is all I have to say. I just gave those pics a cursory glance, but very impressive. Very nice build, project looks great, congrats.
timm510

Post by timm510 »

AHHHHHmazing :D

You can never go wrong with white on a 510

Looking good!

More photos :!:
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Very nice build - gallery looks great. I'm jealous of your tools and what you're able to do! That SR looks fresh! Is that how you bought it?

Could you detail those rear QA1's? I know top motoring sells a QA1 setup, but I've been looking for other options. I guess my main questions are where? how much? length details? and what is the diameter of the lower body mount hole?
I'm your huckleberry.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

WOW. Just looked through the pictures and I LOVE it. Super clean, kinda sleeperish, with really well thought out mods. Just simply stunning. I'm jelous, I wish I had the attention to detail that you have.

One question. Did you do anything to support the steering shaft where it passes thought the firewall? I do like how you did it, makes the rack and pinion install much cleaner without having to use 2 or even 3 joints in the steering shaft.

Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see it completed!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Brad,

Fantastic project. I can't wait to see it in person at the East Coast 510 meet so get off the computer and back out to the garage.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
72ka510

Post by 72ka510 »

The 510 is looking fresh.

Where did you purchase your QA1 rear coilovers?
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Thanks a lot guys for the nice comments, I really appreciate it.

I bought the QA1 rear coilovers from a guy on this forum, I think. They are the kit that Troy Ermish sells, here' s a link.
http://www.ermish-racing.com/510/coilovers.html

The steering shaft is supported at the bottom of the stock tube by a delrin bushing and a pair of needle roller thrust bearings, so it's located in all directions, with basically no added drag. The rack locates the bottom half of the 2nd joint, so with this arrangement there's no need for a support at the firewall. The tricky part of this was getting the top U-jount positioned so that therre was no contact with the pedals. It's all very tight around there with the pedals, steering shaft, and master cylinders (and fluid lines) all in a tiny space.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Big weekend! I started the motor for the first time on Sunday with about seven friends over for support in case something had gone wrong. First we disabled the injectors and turned the motor over with the starter to build oil pressure. This took about 15-20 seconds of nervous cranking. Then the CAS was connected, I turned the key, and it immediately awoke to a low and smooth idle. It was so smooth and quiet that I couldn’t believe it. The exhaust note was not loud, but had a very low tone to it, perfect. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then turned it off and drained the oil. I’ll post a link to a video soon.
I’m going to try to have the car drivable by next weekend, but I still have a lot to do. It’s starting to look like I just might be able to make it up to the East coast 510 meet.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

S15DET wrote:Big weekend! I started the motor for the first time on Sunday with about seven friends over for support in case something had gone wrong. First we disabled the injectors and turned the motor over with the starter to build oil pressure. This took about 15-20 seconds of nervous cranking. Then the CAS was connected, I turned the key, and it immediately awoke to a low and smooth idle. It was so smooth and quiet that I couldn’t believe it. The exhaust note was not loud, but had a very low tone to it, perfect. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then turned it off and drained the oil. I’ll post a link to a video soon.
I’m going to try to have the car drivable by next weekend, but I still have a lot to do. It’s starting to look like I just might be able to make it up to the East coast 510 meet.

Fantastic. I can't wait to see that beauty at Summit Point.

Only 26 more days until Summit Point!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures of it on the road.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

congrats on getting it running! thats a great sound to hear huh?? I started mine without exhaust on, it was loud but not too bad....I need to change my oil too, I checked the dipstick and it still looks good.....but probably would not hurt to change it before i drive it to Canada this weekend.
72ka510

Post by 72ka510 »

Good job Brad, Post up some new pics and videos

Im almost to the point of firing mine up, hopefully ill be able to roll with you to the east cost meet
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I drove it for the first time today! It was a slow trip around the neighbornood at first. Then, after thinking about it for a while, and after the boys were in bed and the wife wasn't looking, I took a longer trip onto the main road to get up to speed. What a rush, I thought it would never happen.

I'll post up a video somewhere soon. Looks like I might be able to drive it up to the East coast meet weekend after next.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Congrats!!! it's truly a great feeling huh?? any issues on your first drive? just curious....mine is running really nice....I just can't get over how reliable and easy to drive it is now....if I ever get another one....it will definitely get a swap...i'll bet you are still smiling!!! I am and it's been two weeks or so.... 8)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Those smiles never go away, even after years of owning the car - getting into my 510 is something I always look forward to!
Brad - good job on following your build through, but the fun has just begun. The day after I got the Bronze together, I took it on a 400 mile plus round trip with a group of club members – what a way to break in a new car! Got my first rock chips in the paint, then it was all OK! It's a driver, and I love it. I'm sure you will as well. Yours, like goichi’s car, was thoroughly gone through. There’ll be the odd teething issue, but you'll love it all.
Congratulations.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.