Brad's '69 project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
vrtsid

Post by vrtsid »

Im really impressed with the headliner and the dash is awesome!
goichi

Post by goichi »

Hello, I have a few questions if you don't mind...I will be doing this when i get home in a few weeks....What type adhesive did you use or recommend? how many and what type clips work best? Is it better to do the pillars first or last? Where did you get the headliner? I have done one headliner on a VW bug a few years ago....it turned out ok, any and all advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks, Rich
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

The USA-spec headliner is readily available from goliner.com and likely a few others. I've got my new one, just haven't gotten that far yet. I envy him for his patience and beautiful install in this thread, but I will farm out my headliner install. It is not for the faint of heart. I botched up a Mini headliner install a few years back, and almost ruined the new headliner. Luckily I knew when to quit, and ended up farming that out in the end. Your JDM-spec Coupe headliner will be different than the USA-spec! Do you still have the old headliner? Any really good upholstry shop can match the material (within reason), and "copy" your old headliner pattern. It is possible that the USA-spec and the JDM-spec are the same EXCEPT for perhaps the rear most "panel" (shorter/narrower??), but you would have to take some measurements etc etc to verify. It would ultimately depend on the spacing of ALL of the rods, where the stitching is.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Not much progress lately. Baby Ivey was born on the 19th of Dec. She was a beautiful 7lb 7oz, 19" long with long fingers, and a head full of dark hair. Mother is doing well!

I added a few more pictures to my gallery. Check it out. Modified fuel rail, water lines to modified heater core, painted manifold, rear bumpers, rear side lights, etc. I ordered the aluminum piping for the intake this weekend. Still trying to decide on what to do with the exhaust. Thanks for all of the nice comments. It really means a lot, since most people I talk to don't understand spending so much time on this boxy little econo car.

http://www.the510realm.com/index.php?se ... php&page=5
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Car looks great! Congrats on the baby as well!
I'm your huckleberry.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Car looks amazing. Defineatly one of the best thought out and executed 510's that I have seen.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Sorry Goichi, I forgot to answer your question. I use 3M weatherstripping adhesive. It's in a black tube, that comes in a red box. It's a very strong adhesive that I also used for the vinyl on the dash panel. This adhesive dries so quickly, that you might not even need clips, but I took a few boxes of small (3/8") binder clips home from work. I think they are sometimes called GEM clips, made from black flat spring steel, with silver with handles, you can see them in service in picture 76 of the gallery. They are very strong and flat on the pinch area. These helped hold the vinyl material in place where it was wrapped around the pinch seams.
I did the pillars last, after all of the straight edges were done.
I bought my headliner from goliners. I'm very happy with the look of the material, and they sent plenty of extra material for the pillars. There's even enough for the rear wheel wells and panel behind the rear package shelf it I decide to do it.
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

i really like the color u used for the intake mani. Looks killer!!

What color is that?
Drive a Datsun
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

It's actually rattle can paint. Rustoleum 7713830 - Dark Bronze, in the "bright coat" product line. I rattle canned it to see if I would like the color, and I do. I did all of the normal prep, glass bead blast, TSP wash (tri sodium phosphate), PRE paint prep, then several light coats with everything totally dissasembled, even the throttle body (what a pain.) I have a friend with a powder coating set-up at home. I'll let him powder coat it if I can find a good color, but until then, the rustoleum may hold up fine.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I think you'll be able to find powder of a similar color here:

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/cgi-b ... arent=AAPD
I'm your huckleberry.
duke
Supporter

Re: Brad's '69 project

Post by duke »

I remember seeing a picture of your engine bay back when the gallery was up and I have a question. I saw that the steering shaft exited the firewall at an angle and then met up with the rack. I'm guessing that you located a u-joint in that passenger compartment, but I was wondering if you had a picture. I want to see exactly how you did it, mainly how you reinforced the mounting. I have seen guys with 2 or even 3 u-joints in the steering shaft and the way you did it just looks soooo much cleaner.

ps-any progress updates?
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Duke, I do have some pictures at home. I wonder if we'll have a gallery again, if so I'll put it there.
There is a U-joint right behind the firewall. It was difficult to place it between the pedals because there's not a lot of space there.
We have sold our house, and will be moving to another In March, so things are pretty hectic and the car project isn't moving too much. I finished welding up the aluminum intake piping and have started thinking about a dry sump system for the SR. This would solve two real problems, the stock oil pan being too close to the road, and the positioning of the steering rack.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

So what did you do to reinforce the mounting for the steering column? Did you just use the stock dash mount, or did you make another one further down on the steering shaft, near the u-joint. I would think that this would be needed because with the stock setup, the steering box is like the second mounting point.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
72ka510

Post by 72ka510 »

Any new updates Brad? The car is looking good, hope to see it finished in a few months. please post more pics. Im also finishing up my resto sr20det 4 door project.

Maybe ill see you at a few track events at VIR or Carolina Motorsports Park
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

We just finished moving, what a pain!

Here's the new photo gallery that I just created. Please go check it out and tell me if you like it or not, and add comments if your so inclined. You can view it as a slideshow, or thumbnails too.

The car is really coming along and is ready for wiring. I hope that I'll be able to drive it to the East coast 510 get-together this May.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25186022@N ... 62/detail/