My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi

Post by goichi »

yea, I just could not wait to get the engine bay done, it was terrible, the rust was only surface, it all came off with a little sand blasting, but if i had to do it again, i would not sand blast myself, i would take it and have it all soda blasted or something...that was a mess. but I guess it worked out.
Attachments
IMG_1590.JPG
inline4

Post by inline4 »

goichi wrote:well, first you need to buy a plane ticket to Japan, then find one that is in good shape, ie, not rusted out, most are rusted out over there. then pay to ship it back to the states, I have no idea what that costs but there are people that offer that service, they can find you a car and ship it to you, for a hefty price I am sure. Or you could join the navy, get orders to japan and buy you one and ship it back under your PCS Orders, free of charge.....with the added benefit of learning a cool job and serving your country! hahaha, I sound like a recruiter,,....scary.... thats what I did anyway and here it is 15 years later....but that's another story, back to the cost....... So if you find a nice one....expect to pay anywhere from 7000 us and up, when I say up, I mean UP!! most will be about 10 or 12 thousand US Dollars, depending on the Yen to Dollar (exchange) rate.. Now you can find a rust bucket for 3000 and up. Now, this is the cost to buy the car, then you have to ship it, I would imagine about another 1200 to 2000? but that's just a guess. I lived in Japan for over 10 years, I started looking for a nice one for the right price for a few years....I looked at probably 40 or 50 cars over the years, most were rusted out so I had actually settled for a 4 door 1800SSS, then a few weeks later a japanese friend called me and told me to "go get this car" so I did (it was nice).....then i had to bring two back to the states! The Climate and location over there just kills them....salt air, so very hard to find a nice one. There is another option......wait for someone to sell one on ebay, there have been a few sold there but expensive.....very expensive! Good luck!
what about just shipping over a roof section and b pillar from a car and having a shop put it on and cage the car?
goichi

Post by goichi »

I would rather have the whole car.....too much trouble and would probably be expensive to have the work done??? I believe the doors are a little different size? and you would need the quarter glass, and back glass....and you just can't find that glass rubber anywhere, I had to be very careful just taking my front and back glass out as to not damage the rubber....very time consuming. I did nick up the rubber a little but i was happy not to crack the glass....the front and rear coupe glass is unlike any other....I would never attempt that. but someone like Baz could do it, just check his two door conversion out.....very nice work.
inline4

Post by inline4 »

what about the costs in shipping from korea?

I have a client who works in transport in korea.
goichi

Post by goichi »

i dont think Korea ever got the coupe, I have heard that Africa or somewhere like that got the coupe, but as far as I know the coupe was never exported to any country, Japan liked to keep certain cars to themselves.....not sure why?? at least not exported by Datsun/Nissan
Last edited by goichi on 01 Jan 2008 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
inline4

Post by inline4 »

but can military transport have something shipped from japan through korea then here. I might ask him to see if he can get me a car.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Just pay meticulus attention to paperwork detail if you get involved in something like that.......... :lol:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
goichi

Post by goichi »

not sure....but you can ship it directly from japan to the states, anything 25 years old or older is really easy to import to the states. I think you just have to arrange a shipping company, some companies will rent you the space in a container, but I have never done that, being in the military its easy for me, but when i go back to Japan I will look into shipping of parts and possibly cars.....not utilizing the military, only civilian transport. But that is just a thought, my next job is probably going to be busy, so maybe I won't have time to do that, I will try to get my wife involved with that, she is japanese so she can work out the details much easier than me. we will see....getting parts now from yahoo japan is getting crazy, I was just checking a wiper motor, NOS, and its like $250.00 with 2 days left on the auction....that is just crazy....if you use someone like Rinkya....then you would end up paying 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a stupid wiper motor, who can pay that??
goichi

Post by goichi »

Does anyone know the best place to get intercooler ducting? I need to source the materials to start fabbing that up. I think I can at least tack it together enough to have someone final weld it.....just need to find some decent aluminum tubing, thanks....
clean71

Post by clean71 »

contact RAY GARAGE AUTOHERO

425-931-3121
1971 PL510 4DOOR AUTO
1969 PL510 WAGON 4SPD
1969 PL510 2DR 4SPD
goichi

Post by goichi »

Thanks, I will call in a few weeks.....thanks again, Rich
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Well, just got back to the good old US of A. And I must say that it's great to be back, had to change my ID....just could not remember that crazy password.....Got the car in the garage and ready to start hitting it hard in the next few days.......lots of parts here waiting for me too! will post pics when I can find where I packed my camera......
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

welcome back:D pics pics pics
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

THanks meso....man that was a crazy trip back......flew for about 28 hours total stopped 4 times but picked up some really cool Russian Vodka!! If anyone wants to stop by and have a taste......there is work to do!! :)
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

welcome home :!: bet those arms are tired :lol:

na zdorovia :mrgreen:
enjoy that vodka!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.