My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi

My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Post by goichi »

Hello, I'm new here and have been kicking around the idea to post my project here for some time now, I have done most of the work myself and have had a few people give me advice on numerous problems.....I am open to suggestions or advice, as long as they are within reason......thanks for having a great Forum! I will post a few pics at a time, this one is from about 1 1/2 years ago.....it's moving along since then.....more to come....

***UPDATE!!***
Here it is back in it's homeland!!!
Attachments
IMG_6485.JPG
IMG_1397A.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
Last edited by goichi on 29 Oct 2014 00:33, edited 6 times in total.
goichi

Post by goichi »

more work.......
Attachments
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG
goichi

Post by goichi »

fast forward to sometime around may of this year.......
Attachments
IMG_2895.JPG
pimp1911

Post by pimp1911 »

Looking good and welcome to the site.
Last edited by pimp1911 on 20 Dec 2007 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
1972 Datsun 240Z
2003 Nissan 350Z
goichi

Post by goichi »

then a few weeks later.......
Attachments
IMG_3001.JPG
goichi

Post by goichi »

Thanks, I'm glad to finally find a place that has a lot of knowledge of the great Datsun! Happy to be here...
goichi

Post by goichi »

....Just before it headed to paint and body.....thats the only thing I didn't do so far....mainly because I had to leave in July for Afghanistan........
Attachments
IMG_3970.JPG
goichi

Post by goichi »

during body work.....I only wish I could have done this part....but if I wanted it finished (at least the paint work) this year then I had to have one of my close friends do it for me....he is a professional, very good and I trust that it will be nice; however I won't see it until mid January.....that's when I return from this shit hole called Afghanistan.....anyone ever been here??
Attachments
the finish 028.jpg
goichi

Post by goichi »

here are a few pics while I was in japan, just bought it and was in the process of registering it to drive.....what a process! you think the DMV in Cali is bad....go to Japan!....be sure to have about $800.00 USD ready to hand over!
Attachments
cellphone pics 014.jpg
cellphone pics 015.jpg
goichi

Post by goichi »

Here's the radiator/intercooler set up, high quality stuff, wasn't cheap either....but as I have found out so far....an SR is not cheap.....
Attachments
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG
goichi

Post by goichi »

Here's the gas tank mod, it's a Z31 in-tank fuel pump and flange, now, this project is the first time I have ever welded anything.....so no laughing at my welding job, I am getting better. I started leaning by welding the holes up in the engine bay, then moved to the trans tunnel, then the front struts (shortened them and coilover install) then the fuel tank. I leak checked it and only had to spot weld a few places.......also, I cut off and filled the big vent hole on the tank, I was thinking I could just use the big vent line on the pump?? not sure but I am gonna try it....
Attachments
IMG_3968.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

nice bluebird!! I bet that FMIC and rad weren't cheep..its TSR's lol. are u gonna bring that new coupe over?>
goichi

Post by goichi »

its already here, those pics were while I was stationed in japan, I have had it here about 2 years,.....but been to Afghanistan twice since so it's moving kinda slow. yep, that is TSR, and it's expensive, but it's good stuff and proven. So I sucked it up and paid the money. Your project is nice very nice.....great work!
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Afghanistan.....anyone ever been here??[/quote]

I never been to Afghanistan, but I did do a tour in Saudi/Iraq 90/91 for almost a year. Hell Hole is a under statement for South West Asia. I did like the sunrises, sunsets and all the stars you can see at night. Especially with your NVG's on.. The rest they can keep....except the oil. LOL. You got any pics of Camels riding in the back of Nissan or Toyota trucks ?

Based out of Whidbey IS. I would assume your Navy Aviation or a EOD tech. Just a guess , there are plenty of other MOS's up there also.

Your car looks very nice....I like what you have done. I wish mine was a real Bluebird coupe. I noticed you have the Hayashi Steet's on it. I'm thinking that your car is the only 510 in the states with them on , at the moment.

I was going with a SR in my car but decided with a FJ instead. If I had a RHD car it would of been a no brainer of a decision to move fwd with the SR swap.

Link to my little project

http://www.the510realm.com/PNphpBB2-vie ... -7203.html

Take care short timer and thanks for your service.......maybe we will meet some day at a Datsun Event.
goichi

Post by goichi »

thanks for the mice comment, yea, up in Whidbey Island, Navy Aviation here....our squadron is here, only a few more weeks and we will be back home. yea, they are hayashi Streets, but they had to come off, they won't fit over the wilwood disc set up i am using, so I have some old Chromadora wheels on it now, just to move it around the garage. I am going with a set of Volk Racing wheels just don't have them yet. So if you know anyone interested in the hayashi's let me know. they are really nice, no rash at all.....not that I can remember. 13inch. not sure of the offset. they are a staggered set. The FJ is a nice motor, if it weren't for the SR, that would be my choice too. I sourced my motor while I was in Japan, so I got it way cheaper than in the states.