My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi

Post by goichi »

...nice comment.....typing too fast!
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

I may be interested in them for my Datsun Roadster project. How much? ofset etc? thanks
goichi

Post by goichi »

I haven't really gave it a good thought as to how much, and I can't remember the offset, I am in Afghanistan right now and won't be home until mid January.....I think the front are about +15?? and rear about +24?? but i am only guessing. they are staggered. they are in really great condition. So if you can wait till I get home, I'll let you know. Don't worry, I can't sell them until I get home! thanks for asking.
goichi

Post by goichi »

Here was the mod to the trans tunnel, I really didn't plan much here, just look at a few ways others did it and just went to it. This it the outcome.....I think it will be ok.
Attachments
trans tunnel mod
trans tunnel mod
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

The car is very cool. Someone should try a left hand swap. Install the NA 510 dash etc. I am in no rush for the wheels so when you get back is fine.
goichi

Post by goichi »

Hey, thanks, yea, that would be cool, I never really thought about converting it to LHD, I am sure that's something that hasn't been done. I'll leave it for the next guy! or maybe my next project. Coupes are hard to come by so it could be difficult to make that happen!
goichi

Post by goichi »

fresh paint!
Attachments
finsihed with the paint!!
finsihed with the paint!!
inline4

Post by inline4 »

goichi wrote:Hey, thanks, yea, that would be cool, I never really thought about converting it to LHD, I am sure that's something that hasn't been done. I'll leave it for the next guy! or maybe my next project. Coupes are hard to come by so it could be difficult to make that happen!
how much do they run?
goichi

Post by goichi »

well, first you need to buy a plane ticket to Japan, then find one that is in good shape, ie, not rusted out, most are rusted out over there. then pay to ship it back to the states, I have no idea what that costs but there are people that offer that service, they can find you a car and ship it to you, for a hefty price I am sure. Or you could join the navy, get orders to japan and buy you one and ship it back under your PCS Orders, free of charge.....with the added benefit of learning a cool job and serving your country! hahaha, I sound like a recruiter,,....scary.... thats what I did anyway and here it is 15 years later....but that's another story, back to the cost....... So if you find a nice one....expect to pay anywhere from 7000 us and up, when I say up, I mean UP!! most will be about 10 or 12 thousand US Dollars, depending on the Yen to Dollar (exchange) rate.. Now you can find a rust bucket for 3000 and up. Now, this is the cost to buy the car, then you have to ship it, I would imagine about another 1200 to 2000? but that's just a guess. I lived in Japan for over 10 years, I started looking for a nice one for the right price for a few years....I looked at probably 40 or 50 cars over the years, most were rusted out so I had actually settled for a 4 door 1800SSS, then a few weeks later a japanese friend called me and told me to "go get this car" so I did (it was nice).....then i had to bring two back to the states! The Climate and location over there just kills them....salt air, so very hard to find a nice one. There is another option......wait for someone to sell one on ebay, there have been a few sold there but expensive.....very expensive! Good luck!
goichi

Post by goichi »

Here's the front coilover mock-up, this is the Troy Ermish set-up.....I have since completely installed them. They work in the driveway at pushing speed!
Attachments
IMG_3369.JPG
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Did your car have a engine in it when you bought it? It sure is sitting high, in the pics of it in Japan.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Wow, nice project! And good choice sticking with the original color.....or at least a similar shade!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
goichi

Post by goichi »

yes, it had a motor, 1600SSS, ran really nice, one carb would flood, but no big deal, the front looks high because i had to change the springs to pass JN inspection, then changed them back after it was done......strict rules in Japan. here is a pic of the motor just before coming out.
Attachments
IMG_1396.JPG
goichi

Post by goichi »

Yenpit, yea, I really wanted to stay with the original color but someone had already changed the shade, I like this color too, so I went with a 70 something Chevy luv yellow.....looks smooth, I like it! like a cream yellow....i also almost chose a VW metallic yellow....really cool color but just thought I would get tired of it,.....maybe to Bling-bling......???
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Yup, the car I just bought is the factory orange (mostly original paint!), and I am going back~n~forth over the factory "solid" color or a "semi-metallic" like the 350Z etc etc. In that last pic of you pulling the engine, I now see that it was repainted a different shade at one point. No matter, again, great color choice for your repaint!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!