1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET Targa Rally Car

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET Targa Rally Car

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Preparing this 510 to enter the Targa Newfoundland Rally in September 2005. Following are the major specs.

1973 PL510 4-door (I've owned this as a street car since 1975)
Full 8-point 1.5" x .120" wall DOM race cage built by Ronny O'Brien (Brampton, ON)
SR20DET "Red-top" & tranny from 1993 JDM 180SX donor front clip
ARP head studs (102-4701), main studs (202-5402) and rod bolts (202-6005)
Garrett GT28RS (aka "Disco Potato") turbo
Kinetic Motorsports silicon couplers & T-gear clamps
Custom stainless steel cold & hot intercooler piping
Greddy Type-S BOV
Nismo (Tomei) 555 cc. injectors
Nismo SR20DET Rocker Arm Stoppers
Nismo S13 motor & tranny mounts
JWT 300ZX PopCharger intake with Z32 MAFS
Procharger Bar & plate top-mount intercooler (18" x 6" x 3" core)
2004 Subaru WRX hood scoop
Badbiki ECU programmable daughter board
Ron Davis Racing 3" aluminum cross-flow radiator with -20AN fittings
Flex-a-lite Trimline 16" 2000 cfm. electric fan with temp. controller
Exedy/Daikin Hyper Single Clutch kit (P/N NH01SD), 6 puck cerametallic disk, aluminum pressure plate cover, chrome-moly lightweight flywheel
3" custom fabricated mandrel-bent mild steel downpipe with 1.5" wastegate bypass tube, ceramic coated
3" custom fabricated mandrel-bent stainless steel exhaust with 3" flex coupling
Magnaflow 3" SS muffler (4" outlet) (P/N 14819)
280ZX front struts with Koni Sport Yellow (Ground Control P/N 1189spcg) shocks
Ground Control camber/caster adjustable upper mounts, coil over with Eibach 10" x 2.5"ID springs - 250lb/in
Modified steering rack from a RHD 1972 240Z
Modified 240SX steering linkage and 240Z column
300ZX vented 30mm. x 280 mm. front rotors
Aluminum 4-piston Z32 calipers (5-bolt)
EBC Red Stuff front brake pads (DP31200C)
Goodridge stainless steel braided brake & clutch lines
Whiteline 1" adjustable front swaybar (custom made by Whiteline for SR20DET oil pan clearance)
Custom fabricated front cross member and motor mounts (centre section)
Custom prop. shaft with Spicer slip-yolk and diff flange - Spicer 1310 solid U-joints
300ZX Z31 turbo R200 LSD (clutch-type) with Birfield type 4 bolt CV shafts
300ZX Z31 rear hubs/spindle and rotors (5 bolt)
280ZX rear calipers and parking brake cables
EBC Red Stuff rear pads (DP3528C)
Wilwood adjustable brake proportioning valve
Whiteline 3/4" rear adjustable sway-bar (P/N BDR1Z)
Specialty Engineering rear springs
KYB Gas-Adjust rear shocks with 2.75" extenders
ATL 15 gal. Sportsman aluminum fuel cell with integrated Walbro GSS-340 high pressure (255 ltr./hr.) EFI pump & 3-door surge tank
Aeromotive 13109 adjustable bypass fuel pressure regulator
Mallory 160 competition EFI fuel filter
15" x 7" Compomotive MO1570 wheels (+12 offset)
225/50 x 15" Toyo Proxes T1-R
Autometer SportComp 2 5/8" guages:
3421 mechanical oil pressure (0-100psi)
3432 mechanical water temperature (120-240 deg. F)
3404 mechanical boost pressure (0-35 psi)
3516 electric fuel level (240-33 ohms)
3593 electric voltmeter (8-18 volts)
3563 full-sweep electric fuel pressure (0-100 psi)
TechEdge wide-band O2 meter/datalogger with NTK L1H1 sensor
Corbeau FX-1 Seats, RCI 3" Cam-lock 5-point belts
Soda blasting to bare metal of complete shell
PPG Concept DCC acrylic urethane paint over PPG DPLF epoxy primer

I'll give an occasional update as it goes - posting pics in the Gallery.
Last edited by RWD_NissanMan on 11 Jul 2006 10:25, edited 16 times in total.
pokey

Post by pokey »

pics...?

Oh, and what is a "daughter board"?

-Paul
I'm not just a normal nerd. I've specialized.
I'm a "Car Nerd"
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

A "daughterboard" is an EEPROM carrier that can be plugged into a socket that exists inside the ECU (Engine Control Unit) that is used in the Nissan EFI cars. This allows you to program different fuel maps externally on a PC and then "download" your altered maps to an EEPROM using a commercially available PROM burner. You then plugged the altered EEPROM into the daughterboard and see how it works.

There is a guy in Australia called "Badbiki" who will sell you the parts to do this and sample fuel maps for the SR20DET (and other Nissan turbo engines) are available for free from various Japanese web sites. Much less expensive than having JWT program an ECU for you (about $550 US). Caveat - you need to know what your doing though.....
bigbadblum

Post by bigbadblum »

kinda like an apexi afc or what ever its called
Derek

Post by Derek »

Cool stuff -- I'm planning on doing the Targa this year with my brother and father AND we all happen to be from Georgetown (I now live in Vancouver). You probably know my dad Neil Young (of Young's Pharmacy).

The 510 sounds awesome -- although I would do away with the hood scoop and opt for a front mount IC myself. I'm guessing this would classify under the targa's very loose vintage rules -- I noticed Judd Buchanan's Acadian running last year, I imagine the only thing left that is original is the body. :)
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

That sounds like a very sweet 510! Good luck and keep us updated!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Do you have any photo's to share with us? It's good to see some more enthusiasm back east - and preparing for this event is quite cool.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Hey Derek,

Nice to hear from you - I know your Dad very well. We used to compete against each other in Ontario Regional auto slaloms (now called Solo II's) in the '70's. Glad to hear from you back here in the "Rally Capital" of Canada. Drop over some time when your back home and I show you the project. There are at least three 510's I know of here in this little town, one of them is being retored by the Sprongl's dad at his autobody shop behind Frank & Dan's rally shop. He's got ton's of spares still for 510's & 240Z's.

The 510 I am prepping is not eligible for the Targa Classic classes due to the engine swap. They have a new class that started this year as a "catch all" for old cars with modernized mechanicals - called the "Panamericana" class - named after the famous Mexican road rally. Targa Newfoundland has a booth at the Toronto International Car Show this week - they're attracting a lot of interest due to the recent airings on Global TV.

As far as the decision to uses a TMIC with a hood scoop, not my #1 choice either but there just is not enough room in front of the motor for a thick rad (3" core) AND a short tube high flow I/C (such as a Spearco type core) - without destroying the looks of the stock grill/bumper. A hood scoop & TMIC is about the only other way to do it - if you want to use an air-air setup. The other alternative would be to use an air-water setup (like the RX-7 Turbo) but your talking considerably more $$$ and complexity.

I have posted a few pics in the Member's Gallery if you'd like to see how it's coming along.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Some updates......
Attachments
Completed exhaust system.  Done in 3" stainless and a Magnaflow muffler with a flex coupling between the downpipe and the rear section.
Completed exhaust system. Done in 3" stainless and a Magnaflow muffler with a flex coupling between the downpipe and the rear section.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

The TMIC setup I'll be using
Attachments
This is an 18" x 6" x 3" bar & plate type IC, mounted on rubber isolators.  Just fits between the hood and cam cover.  I'm using a WRX hood scoop over it.
This is an 18" x 6" x 3" bar & plate type IC, mounted on rubber isolators. Just fits between the hood and cam cover. I'm using a WRX hood scoop over it.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

The tranny tunnel mods we needed to do to accommodate the longer length and wider width of the SR20 tranny.
Attachments
Cut out the old tunnel and made this out of new 21 ga. sheet metal, then used a MIG to weld it in.
Cut out the old tunnel and made this out of new 21 ga. sheet metal, then used a MIG to weld it in.
Tranny Tunnel Rough-in.JPG (43.56 KiB) Viewed 20206 times
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

Very nice man coming along nicely.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Wow that is some very nice work...That transmission tunnel looks so perfect!
pokey

Post by pokey »

Again RWD, I want to caution you about the top mount intercooler. The area underneath gets REAL hot. I've worked on a friend of mine's Celica AllTrac and RX7 TurboII, and the wiring harnesses under the top mount just crumbled to the touch. I dunno, maybe you'll want some ducting, or maybe just some sheet metal deflectors to keep sensitive parts out of the blast of hot air.

I just don't want your masterpiece to develop gremlins next season.
I'm not just a normal nerd. I've specialized.
I'm a "Car Nerd"
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Thanks for the input pokey, you make some good points. I'll make sure I route all the wiring well away from the area directly under the intercooler and see if I can add some air deflectors to direct the outflow down the sides of the motor, especially down over the turbo area. I was thinking of even trying some type of booster fan in there somewhere just above the exhaust manifold if things get too hot.