1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET Targa Rally Car

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

What kinda jack stands are those? they look to put the car super high
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

sspikey wrote:What kinda jack stands are those? they look to put the car super high
Don't really know - I think they are a truck stand or something. I bought them from a garage that was going out of business about 20 years ago. Yah, you are right - you can extend these baby's so that you can get the car nice and high. I always pull motor/tranny by sliding a (big box home improvement merchandise carrying device) underneath then dropping the works down onto it.
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Well, the weekend I have been working toward for the last half a year finally arrived. We worked on Friday night until 2:30AM (actually Saturday morning)to finish off fixing up the brake lines and getting the ride height and alignment set. Then up at 5:30AM to head for Mosport. Two of my sons were participating in the bike weekend track sessions so my idea was to drive the 510 there and back to break in the newly rebuilt motor. Everything went fine except for the diff - it was complaining loudly by the time we got there and was clearly overheating - need to haul it back out and see WTF is going on.

Anyway, got there about 7:30 or so and they were setting up still - so I got a chance to sneak out onto the track for a private hot lap. Does this thing haul ass or what - I have never been up the back straight that quickly - even in my old 240Z race car.

Sunday, up bright and early again for the Z-Car of Ontario's track day at Dunnville. Spent the day driving and sorting - getting it dialed in really well now (thanks for the suggestions Keith - I'm kinda liking it).
Last edited by RWD_NissanMan on 11 Jul 2005 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
5&dime

Post by 5&dime »

Have any pics of it finished?
I really want a 510 Coupe!!!
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

5&Dime wrote:Have any pics of it finished?
Yes, I have a bunch - but having a problem with the web site right now - it seems I have exceeded my allowable file space for uploading pics. I have sent an email to Spencer to see if the limits can be reset or increased or something.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I will try to post a picture of Bob's car...looking VERY nice!
Attachments
bob's car.jpg
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ride height looks good Bob, how much camber and rear toe did you set things at?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

bertvorgon wrote:Ride height looks good Bob, how much camber and rear toe did you set things at?
I set it up initially with about 1.5" spacers above the rear springs and 2.75" extenders on the rear shocks - good travel and droop. Ride height is about 7.5" from the rockers to the ground - good clearance IMHO. At the front, about .75" from full low on a 10" spring (GC coilover on a 280ZX strut with the collar flush with the top of the strut). The Koni yellows I used are from an E30. I had to add about 1.75" spacer at the bottom of the strut tube for the shock to sit on because they are shorter. Not enough droop though (due to the shorter travel of the shock) so I will need to make some spacers to sit under the pillow balls. For some reason the Koni's have a really long threaded shank at the top - not needed for this application. I initially set about 1.5 degrees of negative in the front and about 1 degree in the rear. Roll stiffness is to my liking with the Whiteline bar on the front at max setting - not as much as a true race car setting but should work great for the rougher Targa roads. You were also right - no rear bar needed. It is virtually neutral and can be throttle steered under full power. This thing might make a hella drift car if I felt so inclined to burn the rubber off the tires!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That sounds really good. Once the rear of a 510 is really stable, then you can just drive the wheels off them. Neutral steer is really good, usually gives you some good feel as either the front or rear starts to make it's move on a 510. Having driven lots of other "performance" cars, I have found that a properly set up 510 takes one of the best "sets" in a corner. Having just gone up through some windy mountain roads on the weekend, having my car bump steered correctly was just amazing. I could "toss" it in, the car would take the "set", and I would not have to move my hands through the corner, just using the throttle to balance things. That's handling!
Let us know what it is like when you maybe get a bit of air, that is of course foreign to us (except Byron). I would like to know how those spring/shocks feel as it comes down in respect to the feel of the steering.

Keith Law
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Hey Bob - I increased the limit...I want to see this baby!!
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

When I figure out how to get it somewhere where I can post it for all to see - we shot an "in-car" video of a hot lap at Dunville. It will give you a perspective of the sounds and "launch" that this thing has. I was running up to 18psi to test the bite under hard acceleration and it is now completely stable in the back - no more squatt issues. On the stock springs last fall, the springs may have been oscillating under load as they fought with the tires to hold things on the ground. I can't imagine what this thing would be like on slicks! It takes a lot of concentration to control it because things happen so fast (either that or my brain is slowing down?). If only we had something like this drivetrain in a 510 back in the "good ole days" of CASC B Sedan racing in the '70's.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

5teN wrote:Hey Bob - I increased the limit...I want to see this baby!!
Thanks Spencer, now sit back and enjoy!!
Attachments
DSCF0096.JPG
DSCF0095.JPG
DSCF0104.JPG
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not old, it really does happen fast, But it sure is fun, isn't it. Slicks are a blast, That's what I used to race my car with. The threshold limit is so high, it really does get scary fast.
That is very well done, Bob! What tires are you using for the Rally.

Keith Law
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

bertvorgon wrote: That is very well done, Bob! What tires are you using for the Rally.
Thanks Keith - it has been a lot of fun putting this little baby together. Now we can go and really play hard with the big boys!!

I am currently working with the Toyo T1-S. About 50% of the field last year were on RA-1's - but I am a bit concerned about wet weather. I'll probably get a set of the new Toyo T1-R's - a new tread pattern and compound that they have introduced this year.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It's fun to play with the "big Boys". Tracey at Specialty passed a Corvette at Mission Raceways this weekend, in a turbo charged Mazda Miata that they built and maintain for a customer. Tracey co-drives it. She is an excellent driver, and it is fun to watch her blow by some of the big guns. One year at Westwood, unbeknown to some of the other drivers, she was in her 510, just blowing them away. One fellow came over to the pits to compliment Andy on his driving, Andy just pointed to Tracey, and said "Hey, that's her who was driving!" You should have seen the look on their faces.
Yes, I guess rain is potentially an issue. Can you change tires to suit conditions, or do the rules say you have to stay with one tire?

Keith Law