1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET Targa Rally Car

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

?????

Leeb, what you smokin'??
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

O K !! Whats ballas? How do I open my third eye? Also what does absolute power have to do with this website? Just thought I'd ask.
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Progress update. Got the guage panel completed and the intake ready to go on. I modified the fuel rail to adapt it to -6AN Aeroquip plumbing. Pic below shows the guages and the new bigger injectors installed (550 cc. Tomei/Nismo units).
Attachments
Guage Panel - Second View.JPG
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

This is how I adapted the SR20DET to take a temp. probe for the mechanical water temp. guage. I cut open the flange that holds the stock temp. senders and welded on an aluminum boss to take the adapter and probe. The small white tubes are for the oil & boost pressure guages.
Attachments
Temp. Sender Modification.JPG
entix

Post by entix »

history in the making i tell you.

keep up the good work.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

...just a few wires and hoses I see...

nice job by the way. I'm sitting in the background and completey enjoying the pictures of all the nice work you are doing - thank you for the chance to see the story unfold, and the project's progress...
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

510rob wrote:...just a few wires and hoses I see...

nice job by the way. I'm sitting in the background and completey enjoying the pictures of all the nice work you are doing - thank you for the chance to see the story unfold, and the project's progress...
Agreed! Awesome work!
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Thanks guys, I am almost to a point where I can fire it up. Got all the plumbing finished (fuel & water) and the intake manifold on yesterday (it holds coolant, no leaks so far). Working on the wiring today. I've decided to just rough it in first to get it running then make it "pretty" after I've got everything working right. I'm getting so excited I can hardly focus!!
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

You should video tape the initial start up! It is a great feeling when that thing fires up :)
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

I dig the gauge panel, did you build yours? I made one for my car out of aluminium, used a large saw frame and jewellery saw blades to peirce out the guage openings, It seems you have no shortage of DIY experience which I truly appreciate and strive towards, your work is so clean and well thought. On another note, do you think the targa rally would be a very good spectator experience? I could really plan a vacation around something like that.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

dynobones wrote:I dig the gauge panel, did you build yours? I made one for my car out of aluminium, used a large saw frame and jewellery saw blades to peirce out the guage openings, It seems you have no shortage of DIY experience which I truly appreciate and strive towards, your work is so clean and well thought. On another note, do you think the targa rally would be a very good spectator experience? I could really plan a vacation around something like that.
Yes, I made it from 1/8" aluminum and used a hole saw to drill the holes. To get the paint to stick, I glass beaded it, used some Tremclad semi-gloss black and then baked it in the oven at about 150 degrees F for a couple of hours.

I think a visit to spectate at the Targa Newfoundland would be a great experience. It would be an opportunity to see more than just the cars running, it is about all the extra events and getting to meet a bunch of enthusiasts - and the parties, fun, etc.
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

I've checked out the targa site and can't believe the calibre of cars. I think I need to get there and check off a good many " cars I've wanted too see in real life" off my list.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Where can I see some information about the event? Info, pics of the site or whatever... I've heard a few people talk about it, once on the TV, and now here... and I'm always interested in checking thigns out just 'case I get to see it on tV... now there's a 510 involved. I need a link! Thanks.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

http://www.targanewfoundland.com there's great pics of the cars that are entered
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Sounds really cool!
Hope it's a safe event, sounds interesting. I wonder if it'll be put up on tv?
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE