1st project post :)

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
qwik510
Supporter

Re: 1st project post :)

Post by qwik510 »

Looks Nice. I kind of lke the hood. Was it done well? I may be interested.

The ignition switch may be worn out. I had one that did the same thing. Had to release the key to get it to fire. Ignition switch is cheap and easy to replace.

Get one of Paolos wiring diagrams. They are great.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

RVAE34 wrote: Another good thing is that the black stripes are just stickers.
So glad to hear that...I wasn't going to say anything in case you LOVED them.
Anyway, be patient with the carbs. If you need any help, borrow jets until you find the sweet spot, questions, feel free to ask. I have about $275 worth of jets from tuning, and alot of experience with Mikunis. Also, if you are not familiar with these, get one. The one on the left is better, but can have some interference with the brake master depending upon the intake (if you have a Mikuni short one, it will work fine).
balancer-1.JPG
And if you realy want to get serious, I have one of these and it's pretty slick:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/prod ... =colortune
Pics look great, welcome.

The popping and stuttering you are experiencing is a sync and or lean problem. The belt squeeling?....tighten it up.
comply
Supporter

Post by comply »

Looking forward to see how this progresses. The hood looks awesome!
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I am soo glad to have found this forum. I can tell I will learn a tremendous amount of great stuff from you all.

I am sure it will only take me a few weeks to get all the bugs worked out. My real concern is the wheel wander. It is the strangest thing I have ever felt. Almost as if all the wheels are drifting a lil bit independently. I wouldn't want to go above 45 like that :( I am guessing tie rods, but will need to put in on a lift to tell. When it came off the truck I could see underneath. Looked real nice. This seems to be a very minimal rust car.

The hood was done very well. It's just not for me. I am indeed interested in letting it go. It messed up the cowel just a smidge. I have two extras though

I am soo excited I may not be able to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be the longest day at work ever!!!! Then a weekend of cleaning and re-wiring. I will take the ignition switch out of the parts car although I don't think I have the keys for that one.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

The wander could be what you think, but it could also be just a really bad set up suspension. Not enough camber, toe being in/out differant on either side etc. can lead to a very unpredictable ride.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

You can swap the actual ignition switch separate from the key tumbler. Don't ask me how, I just know you can ;)

I really like the color of the car, and I think the hood is pretty sweet too. If you drop a V6 (VQ35 perhaps) you might be able to fit one of the normally non-fitting intakes like off a pathfinder. Either way I would at least just set it aside and save it just in case.
I'm your huckleberry.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I suppose I should bite the bullet and pick up some adjustable camber plates for the car. Any suggestions?

Well I imagine the ignition on the other car is ok. I will take it out and have a look see this weekend. Please keep the suggestions coming. This forum is far more helpful than many others I have seen.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

These are from Design Products http://designproductsracing.com/510_Fro ... nsion.html
The offset ones are a little more of a pain to install, but are nice because of the built in caster, I have them on my street and race cars and they are great.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

careful about the ignition switches, there are two (min.) sizes. they do swap out the back of the tumbler assembly with practically one little screw.

the wandering may be the tires and wheels, if the roads have any bit of a rut in them.
510s are not anywhere near the same width, and wander side to side in them.
may be the steering box too, and it could use an adjustment.

first off, find out what you have up front suspension wise, and work from there. a few adjustments may be all that is needed.

and personally, i don't care either way about the hood (though if there is actually a hole in original for more clearance, a LZ24 would fit quite well!), but really, you need to black out the rad support!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Brandon,

The wandering could be the wheels/tires as others have said. What size are they? Are those Konig wheels? I know that several people on the BB list have complained about wandering with 15" or larger wheels in certain offsets. If you adjust the steering box, be careful. If it is too tight it can ruin the box.

As for the ignition sw. you can just separate the switch from the back of the key tumbler. there are screws that hold it in place and it has a slot in the front that the rod from the key tumbler fits into. Just unplug the wiring, unscrew the screws and pull the sw. out. Install the new one in reverse. I have read that a 240Z switch is the same but I never compared them to klnow for sure.

I like the hood but would want to see it in person to know if I really like it. I was thinking that it may allow me to install a SC from a Frontier on my VG30 project. When you get some time, send me a few pics of it from the under side.

Good Luck sorting out the carbs too. I think you will like them if you get them running right. When you get to SP, check out Keith Bailey's 510 with the dual Mikunis. He may be able to provide you with more insight.

Try to get there early if you are coming on Sunday. Many folks head out around lunchtime as they have long drives home.

See you next week
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

Well, its al been said this morning, but nice car! Looks great. I like the hood. And I dont think you should black out the radiator support. I was admiring it actually, because mine is hacked up, along with my front valence(p.o.).

Welcome :)
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

My dad wants me to black out the radiator support too. I like it the way it is.

I will hang onto the hood for a bit, but it's definitely not for me.

I think I have someone coming over this weekend to help with the carbs. Can't wait to drive it. I got to take a turn last night and was blown away by the handling. Zero body roll!!!! Love it

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Feels like home on this forum :)
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

black it out :D

id take the hood, for my LZ24, if it were on this side :evil:

the stock hood will look much better on it w/a blacked out front.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Another vote for black out ;)
I'm your huckleberry.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I say brack.
frontal.JPG