1st project post :)

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
five&dime

Re: 1st project post :)

Post by five&dime »

It's been a while. Just an update that I am ordering the jets next week. I have 150's so I will order 145,140,135 & 130's for dyno tune. The goal is 150RWHP+

I am also blasting the radiator shroud and lower splash pan and will re-paint/install before Mitty.

I should also make a new trans mount but we will see if time and money will permit that.......
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Got my jets this weekend from Todd at Wolf Creek. Since I don't have access to the dyno or Jamie/Russell's brains until later this week, I decided to do a seat of the pants test. The last time we put her on the dyno she was running so rich across the board that I decided to go straight to 140 from 150's. Took her for a quick run and it was very sluggish under lower RPM's. Instead of 125 RWHP, it felt like 100 RWHP.

Came home and threw in the 145 and she runs like a bat out of hell!!! Feels more like 135+ RWHP. She ran terriric all the way to 7500 RPM's!!!! Before it was sputtering and popping under WOT above 4500 RPM's. Still smells a little rich but much better. Cannot wait to get her all tuned up. I need to get some new plugs and wires while I am at it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm surprised you haven't sprung for a WBO2 setup. So cheap and easy these days.

Still, progress is good. Wish I could just change out a limited range of numerical jets in my SUs :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I want to but I am broke :( Even getting the jets was hard on my wallet.

I have a few friends that have them and batfastard is going to put it on his dyno so that should save me for now.

I know what you mean about SU's. Hopefully my dad will finally see the light on the Mikuni's. He has 4 pristine S30's with under 100k miles. 2 of which have L28's in them with Isky cams. He even has 2 motors for each car and still has nothing but SU's. Not that I have a problem with SU's as his dyno showed a perfect AF reading across the board. But I hope at least one of his cars can be a monster L with triple 44's :twisted: The sould alone is almost worth it IMO.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Update:

We swapped out the main fuel jets from the 150's to 145's. B/t the two jets we are getting a 12 & 14 A/F. So it seems I need 147.50's to get to a 13 which batfastard tells me is optimal.

In addition we will need to go down a size or two on pump nozzles as right after the accelerator pump gives it's initial burst of fuel, the pump nozzle holes are too big causing that burst of fuel to be too short before the jets kick in.

Making 128 RWHP now. Hoping for 135+ We also noted that improper jetting was causing me to lose 10-15 ft lbs of torque across the band in various stages so regardless of how much more power she makes, I should notice an increase in "seat of the pants" power :)

I also know I started a thread on some of the features my car was in but thought I should post the links here as well to keep it all together.

http://bulgogibrothers.wordpress.com/20 ... omment-374

http://blog.cardomain.com/2010/01/28/ph ... the-day-4/

And a teaser for the upcoming more detailed feature that will also have my BMW as well

http://bulgogibrothers.wordpress.com/20 ... -to-tease/
Last edited by five&dime on 04 Feb 2010 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

Which cam are you running in this beast of a motor? Im building a L20 Z22 Hybrid with Mikuni 44's as well and I am looking at the ISKY z196... Off your and several other recomendations my Mikuni's are on their way to Todd at Wolfcreek as we speak Im hoping to get to the 140ish HP range as well.

As I and many others have said I love your car and your build she is a beauty, when I move to the East coast in late june we will have to meet up and compare engine bays 8)
Spokane, Washington
71 2dr L20b stroker project
77 620 Looong box *sold used $$$ for rear coilovers and LSD
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

five&dime wrote:We swapped out the main fuel jets from the 150's to 145's. B/t the two jets we are getting a 12 & 14 A/F. So it seems I need 147.50's to get to a 13 which batfastard tells me is optimal.
Take the 145 and drill it to "147.50"?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

In regards to the pump jet, have you looked into changing the pump stroke? Increasing this would give the longer discharge that you are looking for. Also, in terms of main jet size, you may think about looking at the main venturi size as this can have a great affect on the jetting.

But, if you are talking with Todd, I'm sure he has informed you of all of this.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Jamie (batfastard) talked with Todd for a 1/2 hour after we ran her on the dyno. He is much more knowledgeable than I am so...... I will tell him to look at this thread before I order new nozzles though.

Good idea Julian. But I think I will just order the 147.50's so I will still have a wide range of jets for when the temp, pressure changes with the seasons :)
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Just took a few photos this weekend that came out pretty nice. Nothing new though
dat16v

Post by dat16v »

Soooo nice. May need to build an Australian replica ;)
My project: Datsun 510 w/ FJ20ET
100% Certified Datnut
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

dat16v wrote:Soooo nice. May need to build an Australian replica ;)
Where are pics of your FJ20 build?
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I just went back through this entire thread which is really amazing to me since I haven't done so in a while. I forgot about this strange install....

In the photo below you can see that someone welded in two failry large and thick pieces of steel. They did a good job welding but why would someone do this unless it was to be used as a full cage base? The floor boards look great underneat the car.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The old mob story; was a little OCD about protecting his feet? :roll:
Or someone wanted a more flat platform for their feet. But most likely there was damage at some time in the cars past, maybe ran over something or someone jacked on that point in the past....
If the plate were to continue up the side of the tunnel than I'd be thinking scatter shield, but that plate did fall a little short for that.
Just thoughts.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

that's funny you said you read back through your thread, I did the same thing yesterday, it's quite amazing to go back over it, you kind of forget how much you have actually done to the car, makes me want to keep it forever!!

....have no idea why anyone would do that....weld in extra plate steel??? had to be trying to cover something up...