Rear 5-lug Conversion

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
thehulk

Rear 5-lug Conversion

Post by thehulk »

I am looking into getting the front of my project 510 up to speed with Techno Toy's coilovers and wilwood brake upgrades up front. They also carry billet hubs that I would like to get to replace my front hubs that somebody welded the studs to. I would love to move to the 5-lug version of these hubs, mostly for wheel choice, but can't find and figure out what my options are on the rear. Any suggestions? I found a few things in the search, but they are likely outdated.

Thanks in advance.
Byron510

Re: Rear 5-lug Conversion

Post by Byron510 »

Why convert to 5 lug?

Plenty of new and vintage wheels out there with just about any offset you'd ever need for flared or unflared 510's.

Just curious as to what the motivation is? But when known, there are many ways to go about this depending on what you needs and desires are.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

5 lug is great!

I'm currently working on a rear CV axle conversion that would come complete with rear 5 lug axles. Once complete, this set will be up for sale. PM me if you would like more details.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Mario from TSR will redrill/weld the rear hubs to 5 lug.
thehulk

Post by thehulk »

Byron510 wrote:Why convert to 5 lug?
On a few searches for wheels, I've found a lot more options with the 5-lug wheels. That's the main reason. And I figured if I'm going to be upgrading the hell out of this car, may as well go all out, right?
thehulk

Post by thehulk »

JordanTr wrote:5 lug is great!

I'm currently working on a rear CV axle conversion that would come complete with rear 5 lug axles. Once complete, this set will be up for sale. PM me if you would like more details.
If that's the route I end up taking, I'll definitely give you a shout. Thanks!
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Again, why 5 lug? I did mine to get Z31 CV axles. I probably could have done the same or similar with Z31 4 lug options.

1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Very interesting Jeff, thanks for sharing those photos.

Of course, I have to ask questions if you don't mind.
The 5 lug for your application is noted. And the conversion to using the Z31 5 lug hub giving you the brake caliper bracket and the CV joint is commendable - great work. Are all Z31 ZX's the four bolt flange shown? And were you able to shorten the existing CV shaft be having the splines recut? Or did you cut and reweld the shaft itself (possibly with a sleeve)?

I imagine that you must have jigged the arm for re-welding the hub in place to get proper alignment. If you were really good you could compensate for camber and toe at the same time! I'd love to hear your experiences.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Only the turbos have 4 bolt flanges and ball in cage CVs. The NA ones in all years use tripod joints and a 3x2 bolted flange on different companion flanges.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)