Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Suspension Setups

Post by bertvorgon »

280ZX struts, with spacer to clear brake. Then, I can run any size spacer up to 3/4" to play with my front track/handling characteristic(s). This brake combo, with ducting will go a full on road race scenario for 1/2 hour no problem. Our cars are light.

These are Brakeman calipers, which is another clone of what was first termed the Mini GN style. The mount for these is a custom weld.

Those are Moroso wheel studs.
Attachments
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG (119.1 KiB) Viewed 11942 times
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG (106.49 KiB) Viewed 11942 times
drilled spacer.JPG
drilled spacer.JPG (113.69 KiB) Viewed 11942 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This is the ducting, cheap to build and EFFECTIVE!
Attachments
aircraft duct hose.JPG
aircraft duct hose.JPG (155.41 KiB) Viewed 11941 times
bend in sway bar.JPG
bend in sway bar.JPG (170.91 KiB) Viewed 11941 times
280zx cooling duct.JPG
280zx cooling duct.JPG (171.68 KiB) Viewed 11941 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

That's very cool, Keith, my dad and I did that on our race karts back in early 90s to keep brakes from crystallizing, others didn't and after seeing that our karts were able to come in hotter into the corners for the entire race without losing our brakes, they started doing same thing :-)
Diego.
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

Keith, was that a custom built backing plate? How did you come up with the size for that plate? I like the idea of an air duct blowing air across the rotor. I never know how people cooled their brakes and rotors until I saw the above pictures.
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Gang,

Yes, that is a custom built plate. The diameter JUST fits at the edge of the inner diameter of the rotor, and runs maybe .060" away from the rotor.

The air does NOT blow over the rotor...it blows INTO the inside of the rotor, and centrifugal force makes the air go OUT through the cooling vanes. This is the proper and only way to effectively cool your brakes.

We then cut and oval hole in the appropriate spot, squished down a pipe to fit, with all the clearances figured out to get the hose pointing in the right direction.

If you need more pictures, let me know.

found this one, you can see how it directs air into the rotor interior. These work really well, with the Specialty car also having water spray also, something I kept meaning to hook up, but, not done a track day for awhile so never got to it. I have the sprayers all ready to go, and I would use my inter-cooler spray reservoir as the water bottle.
Attachments
IMG_7973.JPG
IMG_7973.JPG (115.4 KiB) Viewed 11797 times

Keith Law
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

I think I get what you mean. That is pretty slick. My car is still in the works, very early stages of rebuild (I'm doing the suspension right now, and intend to use my tax return to buy an L20B block, if I can afford to; hard to keep money in the wallet when you intend to get married in the near future, and have a project you love to spend on) will be set up to run hard on tracks, mainly, when time and finances permit. Thanks for showing me (and all of our members) this great tech "tool". If you ever get a chance to put that sprayer setup together, maybe you can post it here, or to a new thread, or to a project thread you already have up. Thanks a lot Keith.
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No worries, it is these "little" tricks that when all put together, can make a winning package.

also, it hardly cost a cent, just some fab time.

the bigger cost is the aircraft hose, it is not cheap, but, it has been on my car for years and year, so it works out not that bad when you do not have to replace some cheap hose. This stuff is also good with heat, which is not to be discounted for the amount of radiated and transmitted heat in the brake area.

the spray system is dead simple, with an upgrade, that cost a bit more, but, can really save things on tracks that are hard on brakes.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 21 Jan 2014 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

So, back to the never unpopular subject of rear shocks.
My car came with 120# rear springs with a Carrera coilover, I swapped in 200# rear springs and never changed the shocks, which are now blown. I got conflicting answers from the guys at QA1 (who bought Carrera) who said with the 250# springs that I am now putting in, to get a shock with a softer compression and a firmer rebound, the guy at Speedway Motors who carry this style shock, said stay with the same that I had.
FYI QA1 have a 1 through 6 numbering system for both compression and rebound. My shocks were a 4/4, which on the firmer side with a 50% comp. to 50% rebound ratio. The Salesman at QA1 said to go with a 3/5 ratio. I was thinking about a 5/5 though I know the compliance of the shock is important as not to have the rear end jump around. The shock is 23.5 extended, 14.5 compressed. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/QA1- ... ks/20.html
I want to go with this shock, or at least, this STYLE of shock, because I have all of the other coilover bits that work with them.
Bilstein makes this style too, I am sure others may. Anyone have any suggestions on this QA1 body in terms of compression/rebound rates or another maker that I should check out who make a 2" shock that would receive the slide over coilover adjuster? I would like to have a single adjustable, but my searches have not turned up any.
Last edited by defdes on 20 Jan 2014 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Thanks defdes that link is help full I just picked up some cerreras .
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Get in touch with these guys, they are a QA-1 dealer and have real world experience. They set up a lot of cars and can tune your shocks. When I called QA-1 directly, they gave me their number.

naake.com
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

510wizard wrote:Get in touch with these guys, they are a QA-1 dealer and have real world experience. They set up a lot of cars and can tune your shocks. When I called QA-1 directly, they gave me their number.

naake.com
Thanks, I'll ring them up.
*LATER*
This is what their guy suggested, I will give it a try.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-5094- ... 32589.html
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

YOu can also try these guys: http://truechoicekoniracingservices.com/

They're pros, in my limited experience, and Koni makes a good shock, made in USA too. They might be a little pricier than the QA1s, but come with a great warranty.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

defdes wrote:
510wizard wrote:Get in touch with these guys, they are a QA-1 dealer and have real world experience. They set up a lot of cars and can tune your shocks. When I called QA-1 directly, they gave me their number.

naake.com
Thanks, I'll ring them up.
*LATER*
This is what their guy suggested, I will give it a try.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-5094- ... 32589.html
The nice thing about those shocks and their other race shocks is that they are field rebuildable and you can order the valve kit ( about $120) and tune them yourself. Change the rebound or compression to what you need/or want.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Yeah, that was the selling point and the fact that they were available in the valving he recommended. I still might need to order new top hats for them, but I will see first if the ones I have will work or can be modified to work.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Anyone have a Koni adjustable front insert part number that is not the 8610RACE number?