Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Boaty

RE: first post

Post by Boaty »

Vehicle: 1971 Datsun 510 2DR
Engine: L20B, Closed A87 Head, shaved .015", L16 Cam
Struts: Stock 510
Coils: Stock Front//Rear, Front chopped 2 coils
Ride Height: Front Lowered 2"
Camber Adj.: None
Sway Bar: Stock Diameter, Poly Bushings
Bushings: Polyurethane Strut Rod Bushings, Sway bar end bushing
Satisfied? Sure. Its a 510, it runs and drives great. Motor is strong and has that pungeant burning oil scent when you come to a stop and leaves the renowned puff of blue smoke when you shift and at full throttle... piston rings are fried. Running SAE 50 oil to keep it from smokin', works allright..

Car handles great, considering blown front struts and chopped stocker coils. Car sticks to the pavement with 195/60R14s with alloy (I think 13lb) rims. New tie rod ends througout (Highly reccomended...)

Open rear diffy, so it doesn't take corners TOO hard. Car understeers fairly bad when the fronts hit the bumpstops but that should be remedied soon. Moving to 280zx (shortened) struts in the near future.

I give it a 5/10 for handling.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
frenched510

suspension setup

Post by frenched510 »

primary use:street, strip(not good drag car but whatever),auto-x,drift

struts:280ZX shortened
springs:from Dave Turner 2.5ID 250lb coilovers in front, 400lb springs in rear
shocks: tokico MR2 inserts front, tokico blue rear
ride height: really low
camber adjustment:slotted rear member, T3 camber plates
bushings:poly front and rear control arms, front sway bar, and t/c rod bushigs
wheels/tires:15x7 Konig Rewinds w/ toyo proxes T-1
satisfied?:i'll let you know when I get it running.

I got all the suspension parts from Dave turner motorsports in san diego. They have a DIY coil-over kit. The MR2 inserts allow for more travel. I used Techno Toy Tuning camber plates with the upper hat system which replace the upper hat of the coil overs with one that has a bearing in it which makes steering easier when you get camber plates. By putting in the camber plates and eliminating the giant stock strut mounts, the car lowered about another inch without loosing any travel. I am also going to by Nismo strut brace and sway bars.
frenched510

RE: suspension setup

Post by frenched510 »

oh yeah tire size is 205/50 r15
BanzaiDime

Post by BanzaiDime »

first post - coupele questions:
I just recently purchased a 71 2-door. this vehicle won't see a bit of track time, primarily will be used on sunny days, but I want it to be maybe 1-2 inches lower, without fabricating a front end, which it seams like that's nearly the only option. is it possible to lower the front of the car, using aftermarket parks that can be installed with minimal modification? Nopi.com lists a ground control coil-over kit for the front, which requires cutting and welding, I assume from reading the post, cutting the stock spring perch and welding something for the sleeve to rest on. correct? as for the back I suppose I can just use stock shocks and different springs?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Really simple and effective:
Suspension Techniques springs
280ZX inserts
68-69 struts
You'll need to make a small spacer out of a piece of pipe or a stack of large diameter washers to allow the 280ZX strut insert to tight in the strut tube when the nut is tightened down, the 68-69 struts are the shortest of all years, and the system will use your existing brakes.
Works well for a looker and boulevard cruiser.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Does anyone know how much the LCA points raised on the '69 Crossmembers?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

not enough Spence.
I'll look/measure tomorrow.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's about 1" higher on the 68-69 crossmember.
This in conjunction with the bump steer spacers definitely helps the whole system. If you are running 15" or bigger wheel, you have the advantage of running larger bump steer spacers.
Is there a particular problem you are trying to tackle here Spencer?
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
BanzaiDime

Post by BanzaiDime »

Byron510 wrote:Really simple and effective:
Suspension Techniques springs
280ZX inserts
68-69 struts
You'll need to make a small spacer out of a piece of pipe or a stack of large diameter washers to allow the 280ZX strut insert to tight in the strut tube when the nut is tightened down, the 68-69 struts are the shortest of all years, and the system will use your existing brakes.
Works well for a looker and boulevard cruiser.
Byron
OK, I want to get this right - there seems to be a lot of unwillingness to help new guys out here... which kind of sucks, so I appretiate any info you can throw my way, I've been reading the forums pages for about 6 hours (no joke) trying to soke up as much information as I can! I really am not worried about the brakes as much as they seem to do a good job stopping the car so far (haven't been doing any canyon driving, so I imagine brake fade is the main reason for switching to the 200/280 brakes)

Suspension Techniques springs - for a 510? I'll have to get under there and measure to see if I have a long or short tube assmelby (it's a 71 2-door)
280ZX inserts - from any year 280? or should it be the 80s ones? also, by insert.. I think you're talking about the strut rod correct? all my time in racing hillclimbs in my honda.. i'm confused about the terminalogy of 'insert' dispite trying to google!
68-69 struts - for my 510? what the advantage of using these over my 71 struts, unless this is the shorter assembly that i've been wondering about, obviously best for more wheel travel, correct?

thanks again, I hope to get picks up soon of the car as it is now... I have so much that needs to be done to it, but I want to focus on suspension first.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

BanzaiDime,

You want answers. I don't that people don't want to help. I think they are tired of saying it over and over again. I have asked many questions which I couldn't find searching old posts. But somehow I see the same questions come up again, and again after that.

I do have to say that there should be a basic information on upgrades in one post, just information not opinions, because opinions are so subjective. All the veterans don't need it but us novice do, and it would eliminate a lot of repeat threads.

I won't claim to know the specs or how each part will individually affect your experience, but this is what I learned, and I'll put it stupid simple, not because your dumb, but just so there are no questions:

If you want better braking - get "280XZ" front struts, not 240z, 260z, or 280z. From what others have said they lower your car about an inch by themselves.

If you don't want to do custom work. just get new springs. Don't worry about measuring the strut tube. Yes there are different sizes, but it really doesn't matter. If you order the "ST" springs, the Long tube springs will lower your car about a inch more than the Short tube ones.

Which ever struts you use, buy the 280ZX inserts, also known as Shocks, Cartidges, Strut Insert, depending on who you talk to. If you use the 280ZX strut your good to go. If you use the 510 struts you need to stack up washers that are the same diameter as the strut shock cartridge insert and them under the strut shock cartridge, since the tube is longer. It might not make sense now in your head. Just buy an inch worth of them and it will all make sense when you do the work. OR buy a spacer, like the one techno toy tuning sells.

that pretty much covers struts I think. And the 280ZX conversion was SSSOOOOO easy. I thought it would be a challenge, but I just got into it and it was a piece of cake!!

Oh yeah, throw a 1 inch anti roll bar up front, and performance shocks in the rear with your lower springs. Rear anti roll bar is up to you, there are a lot of different opinions on this. Heck maybe even throw a strut brace on under the hood.

Hope this helps!!
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
BanzaiDime

Post by BanzaiDime »

heirfaus, I really do appretiate you taking the time to share that. I know you all are tired of the same questions, but when I searched, and read through posts the answers that seemed to be givin were more like "no, that's not really worth it, do this instead..." and didn't help me out much. I understand a lot of suspension upgrades have more to do with performance than looks, and I wouldn't mind the performance increase, but the car isn't going to see track time, or even spirited driving if I can help it.
From what I've seen though, the 280zx brakes won't fit under 13" wheels which I currently have. there is an '81 280zx in my local JY, but the calipers don't have the banjo bolt, they are the wrong ones if I am correct. once I upgrade to 15s I will probably be OK moving up to the 280zx brakes/suspension setup.
thanks agian for the help, you pretty much confirmed everything for me
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Correct most 13's won't clear, so you would be better off waiting to upgrade the brakes. The good news is, the springs and shock inserts won't be wasted money, because whenever you do the ZX uprade you can use them.

What's this about a banjo bolt. Is this something I missed in my research. I just checked mine out of curiosity and my ZX brakes don't have a banjo bolt. It's uses the same brake hoses from the 510.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
BanzaiDime

Post by BanzaiDime »

OH! well in that case I guess I'll be taking a long lunch tomorrow to grab that setup! for some reason I thought you needed a specific caliper (ones with the banjo bolt) I also read that you can use the 510 top hat - which I plan to do. Also, someone noted that stock 13" steelies will clear? I guess I can always take my wheel to the JY and try to mount it on the 280zx. I want to get pictures of the installation of this setup so that I can write a how-to for some of the newer guys like myself, makes things 200x easier knowing exsactly how someone else did it, so you can do it better! :D
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Some 13's will, most won't. You HAVE to use the 510 top hat, spring and lower spring seat. You cut it off and have it welded to the ZX strut tube. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Let me know when you've got the parts and I can give you some pointers if you need them, since it's fresh in my mind, I just did it about 2 monthes ago.

-defdes
acrash62

Post by acrash62 »

i have Keiser 13"x8" 3 piece race wheels and the DO clear the 280ZX brake calipers. but the 13"x6" Western "Minilite" copy wheels do NOT... so measure FIRST !!!
Tony
'71 2-Door SCCA FSP Auto-X