Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
mattc

Post by mattc »

Hey - my car weighs 2000lbs wet, so the rate i'm using is most likely that of a 700 - 800lb spring in a 2500 lb car (just a guess!) but i'm going to coil overs in the rear anyway - i'll start with a 250 and go up from there... there will be a new contributing factor - i've added a spoiler and a diffuser to rear of the car. i took out the spare well and went to town under the back of the car. it's obvious if you know what your looking for, but to untrained eye you'd think you're looking at a messed up exhaust outlet - unless you looked under the car of course, and then you'd know a little more is going on..
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law!!
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Any pictures? Sounds interesting
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

oh so to figure out the springs i should get i just divide the weight of the car by 4, correct? ok so any more feedback as to what inserts i should use in the front?
Derek

Post by Derek »

Late to the party...

280zx front struts w Tokiko (I think) 5 ways
Koni rear shocks (possibly adjustable?)
GC Camber Plates
GC Coilovers all 4 corners, 200# for all springs
TMC 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar
TMC Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

All this was on the car when I got it, as installed by Troy Ermish (as far as I know). I adjusted the coilovers for the first time while painting to get the car up in the air as much as possible.

I plan on auto-xing the car seriously this summer as well as visits to the track. So far, I have only done a couple of events in it (with sub optimal power), and it has worked quite well. The whole setup is quite adjusable, and I would love to start playing around with it to see what I can get the car to do.

Future modifications will involve a penultimate rear crossmember mod (relocating the mounting points, getting rid of the camber) when I get around to doing the the back end (diff, brakes etc.).
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

arabian_ryda wrote:oh so to figure out the springs i should get i just divide the weight of the car by 4, correct? ok so any more feedback as to what inserts i should use in the front?
Not in the slightest! because there has been so much trial and error it would be best just to go with what is now the "norm"...or atleast near it.

For the front I suppose the norm would be 200lb/in, I have 225lb/in myself while others on the board have 300lb/in.

I'm not too sure about the back but it has been discussed before!
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

5ten what kind of inserts should i go with that will match up good witht he st`s?
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

ok i called teckco(sp?) and they dont make a strut or shock for the 510. i called one of my local shop guys and they couldnt find anyone who makes shocks or struts for a 510 so im geussing you guys are using different vehicles? if anyone could help me out id really really like to know as im doing suspension right now but i keep getting into a dead end as to what i need and who has what and so on. a local shop said they can get me st`s for all 4 corners for $288.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Primary use of car. Street and autocross
front struts: Shortented/strenghtened 280ZX
Coilovers: welded on threaded perch
Camber/castor plates: Ground control
Front inserts Koni Adjustable
Front spring: 2.5" 250LB
Front Sway bar: 7/8"
Rear spring: 820LB
Rear shocks: KYB AGX adjustable
No rear sway bar
Datsport Adjustable rear crossmember
Datsport steering box brace

Front brakes: AP racing 4 piston 12" vented rotor
Rear brakes: Wilwood 2 piston 10.5" Non vented Rotor
Last edited by Yellowcar on 10 Mar 2005 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

ok so i need some advise. im gonna run my stock strut but put suspension tech springs front and rear and kyb gr2 all around. but i am gonna measure the length of the front insert that are there now and buy some that are 2 inchs shorter? giving my a 2 inch drop if my theory is correct. would this work.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Hell no its not gonna work!
Its like putting a little Weiner in a BIG hole.
Its going to bounce around inside
The strut cartridge just keep the spring from boucing ecessively.
You get the cartridge of the length of the tube.
YOu can cut the tube below the perch line and size it for a shorter cartridge. exaple 280ZX 81-83. Not shorter than that then the spring perch will come close to hitting the tire.
Need to but cut sized clocked) and welded. Not quite as simple.

How about get the S/T springs and cut a coil
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Banzai, you took the words right out of my mouth! I have seen that before, with the shock crashing around in the strut!
Arabian, you could call Specialty Engineering and ask them what it would cost to have your struts set up PERFECTLY! If you are serious about your ride, why not treat yourself to having a great suspension set-up, right from the gitgo.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I'm gonna guess he'll pass, being in Edmonton like me. I should sell him the parts out of my car...I'm not using them :(
Not too mention, not alll of us can afford Specialty. I've even heard Gerry complain. But he is in a whole different ballpark when it comes to work there.

arabian_ryda, we should get together some day while I'n still in town. I could help you get straightened out on what to do.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

rnorrish i would really appreciate the extra help and your parts :) . i have called speciality engineering twice left detailed messages and i still have not gotten a call back. this was about 2 week ago.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

how about the same length insert but with a shorter rob inside it? would that work? and aren there insert made like this or are all of the the length of the tube.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

well, when I made the suspension, I spent over $1000, plus my time and Byron's, and a race shop went over it after the install. so I sell it to you cheap. How's a million dollars sound? hehehee...

what side of town are you on?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.