Bias Ply Tires - need answers

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Byron510

Bias Ply Tires - need answers

Post by Byron510 »

Tires...You guys that were around when these cars were new - I need your input here. :D

Subject car – my 68 stock L13 resto project

Background.: This car will not ever be a daily driver, in fact it will be a fair weather car, period. And will likely be driven only locally for kicks, to shows and the odd meeting (I put 29 hours on the Bronze last year; I'd expect the same annual time behind the wheel in this car).
So, I need to replace the tires to something more stock looking. The true stock look would be bias plys, and you can still buy new ones (quite reasonably priced actually). I dropped by my local tire guys place, and looked through a Coker Tire catalog, and found a few options. Firestone makes a 5.60 - 13 (the correct size) with a 2 1/4" white wall which is pretty big; BF Goodrich makes a 4 ply Poly tire with a 1" or 2 1/4" white wall in the right size.

Of course the cross over size is 165 R13's, and these are available from many quality manufacturers. But here's the question for your guys that have 10 years on me (you’d need to be in your mid 40’s or better for this one): What is it really like to drive on NEW bias plies? I've never owned a car that had them (for long) and the one time I did have them, I wasn't old enough to know better. Does a bias ply tire really make a car wonder all over? Do they really increase stopping distance - are they unsafe like I've been told over the years (sudden blow outs).
The funny part of this is that I, like 95% of the rest of the people on this forum, have no background with bias ply tires. I'd love to hear educated input into this subject from those who've driven on good bias ply tires in a known good car. I don't want to hear about worn out stuff because it’s irrelevant to the subject.

Thanks guys.
Byron
Attachments
DSCN7123 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7124 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by Byron510 on 10 May 2009 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510Martinez

Re: Bias Ply Tires -need answers

Post by 510Martinez »

Been a long time since I road on a bias ply in a car but they are still common for large pickup trucks. It uses a little more fuel. It can lose pressure and not show for a while so checking air pressure regularly is crucial. They do wander a little more, but with an intact suspension, you might not notice.

I seem to recall there being a couple of makers that produce a tire that *looks* like a bias-ply but is really a radial. You may want to look into that.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Byron,The first 4 or 5 cars that I owned had bias ply tires.I know that I am still here so I guess that they weren't that unsafe.When I did graduate to radials though I did notice a big improvement overall in the handling of the car.On a different topic I came across a cool old manual for 68 to 70 Datsun 1300&1600 by Kenneth Bell.If you are interested in it it's yours.I think it would look cool in the trunk of your newest addition to your collection. Cheers Ron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510Martinez wrote:
I seem to recall there being a couple of makers that produce a tire that *looks* like a bias-ply but is really a radial. You may want to look into that.
Thanks for replying - I have asked for any local sources for these - no luck yet. I may need to cross the border to get this, which really isn't a big deal. I will look into this option, though.

Anyone else have experience specifically with bias ply’s on a 510?

Here are some pics of my exact car. The pics on page 2 of the brochure is the same blue interior/ bench seat 3 on the Tree as my car has.

I have 7X 1968 sales brochures, and they all show what appears to be a 1" white wall tire and they all list 5.60X13 4 ply tires on the specs.

I'll post there here:

Byron
Attachments
68 510 Brochure0001 (Medium).jpg
1300,16000002 (Medium).jpg
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The other two pages.....
Attachments
1300,16000003 (Medium).jpg
1300 16000004 (Medium).jpg
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

I think it may be Coker that does the reproduction. I'll look a little.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I've got a hard copy of the 2007 Coker catalog in front of me.
They list a Coker Classic radial, but it only goes down to 14" sizes.
The red line tires would be pretty cool, I'd have to admit.

I'll keep looking.

Byron
510-Trevor
Supporter

Re: Bias Ply Tires - need answers

Post by 510-Trevor »

While not 10 years your senior, I did have a '74 Beetle with bias ply tires, didn't handle well. Then about year later I got a good deal on new radials, big difference in ride and handling.
That said, you should be fine with the bias-ply's, and red-lines would be cool.
1972 Yellow 4dr
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

Byron510 wrote:I've got a hard copy of the 2007 Coker catalog in front of me.
They list a Coker Classic radial, but it only goes down to 14" sizes.
The red line tires would be pretty cool, I'd have to admit.

I'll keep looking.

Byron

Call them. It may be worth it. Maybe something they don't list or know a source.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510-Trevor wrote:While not 10 years your senior, I did have a '74 Beetle with bias ply tires, didn't handle well. Then about year later I got a good deal on new radials, big difference in ride and handling.
That said, you should be fine with the bias-ply's, and red-lines would be cool.

Dude I had a bug with bias plies too! I was just to cheap to buy new tires so I stole all the spares from the car's my cousin had lying around :D To me they felt like a 510 lowered with stockish sized tires like I had on my car. Just kinda washy and unstable. Who knows I'm sure most of that was to do with the fact they were super old :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Gee Byron, that takes me back to the 70's when I had my first 510. The original 2 door I had still had decent bias plies on, which I wore out in a year. They where OK, however, they did wander quite a bit on the road, particularly compared to the "Sears" radial tires that I replaced them with.
Jason
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I too had them on my first 71 superbeetle, if I remember right, they were all over the place, but then again, the car was not that stable either! I can remember having to pump the brakes like two or three times to get the thing to stop!! If you are not going to drive it much then it really don't matter, does it?? That sure is a nice car you got there!! I don't think I could keep anything stock anymore....not since driving my car with the SR, just way too much fun!....
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I obviously grew up with bias tires..on all my cars. I bought my first set of Michelin X radial tires for my 72 wagon, in about 1972 or 73'..I think. I thought I had died and gone to the moon. The handling, specifically on corners was amazing. I had one entrance ramp at the time, Steveston Highway on to #99, that was my yard stick. When the radial tires went on, I can remember my friend Evan saying that was a huge improvement. The funny thing, for those of you that lived it, was that they always looked "soft". Drove my Dad crazy, as he always thought they were low on tire pressure. So, I would say the cornering issues was the biggest thing I noticed, that I can remember. The ride was a bit softer also, more compliant I guess. Then, my friend with his 72' sedan bought the first of the preformance tires to hit the shores, the Pirelli CN 36, anybody remember those? For awhile...they were THE tire to have.

Then, as some said, the braking difference was dramatic too. It was not until I got the turbo on, that I really started to use the car, and by then, radial tires were IN!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Well I still have the bias plys the car was riding on when I bought it, they would probably clean up really well, but I guess for the cost of getting new ones it isn't to bad.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted