Complete Brake Job

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
goatee
Supporter

Re: Complete Brake Job

Post by goatee »

Search broken for anyone else? I just get a big fat error page.

Anyway I browsed around and found this topic which sort of covers my question. Magmux mentions using 620 stuff for power brakes will that just swap over and match up or do you have to redo some lines? I'm going to have some of my brakes apart and someday hope to do the rear conversion as well and it got me wondering.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:Search broken for anyone else? I just get a big fat error page.
Visit the Website Discussion forum.
goatee wrote:Anyway I browsed around and found this topic which sort of covers my question. Magmux mentions using 620 stuff for power brakes will that just swap over and match up or do you have to redo some lines? I'm going to have some of my brakes apart and someday hope to do the rear conversion as well and it got me wondering.
Why do you want power brakes? What components are you planning to install?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Just one of those things I was curious about more than anything else. If all it took was a booster setup while you have everything else apart, why not! :D
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:If all it took was a booster setup while you have everything else apart, why not! :D
If all it took was a booster setup for what?

Dunno, not much of a boosted-brake guy. Adds (minor, but still) weight, complexity, and just another thing to go wrong. Not much need for a power-brake setup in a light 510, given it doesn't improve braking performance. The reason I asked about the components you plan on is that proper selection of components is key, while IMO a booster is a Band-Aid.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Well like I said mostly curiosity while I was looking at it yesterday. Your statements are valid especially about added complexity sort of like the weight, it's not a LOT of complexity but more complex than stock.
I don't however understand what you mean it doesn't improve brake performance, do you mean it wouldn't improve a 510s brake performance?
If all it took was a booster setup for what?
I was just wondering if the power brake booster, master cylinder etc from the 620 would move right over. I'd assume you would have to rework lines because of the added depth or would you say length the booster would add from the firewall.

More than likely my 510 will probably stay stock for all eternity so I wouldn't worry too much over what I might do. :mrgreen:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:I don't however understand what you mean it doesn't improve brake performance, do you mean it wouldn't improve a 510s brake performance?
It shouldn't. All a booster does is assist in pressing the pedal. Making it easier to press the pistons via the pedal. You can very likely lock up the brakes without a booster, so what would you expect power brakes to do? Lock up easier, or, give you access to a portion of your braking potential somewhat earlier due to the assist.

So, if you can already supply sufficient pressure to lock up the brakes, you won't benefit from adding the booster. To add braking performance you'd have to change the brakes themselves, intelligently, in a way that adds leverage, changes pad material, or increases the amount of heat the system can absorb.
goatee wrote:I was just wondering if the power brake booster, master cylinder etc from the 620 would move right over. I'd assume you would have to rework lines because of the added depth or would you say length the booster would add from the firewall.
Mostly. You would have to bend the lines out of the BMC because, as you state, the position of the BMC changes.
goatee wrote:More than likely my 510 will probably stay stock for all eternity so I wouldn't worry too much over what I might do. :mrgreen:
For a stock DD 510, stock 510 brakes are fine. Certain IT classes must retain the stock setups, and if you can race on stock brakes...

See also:

DQ Volume 3 Issue 3 - Optimizing the stock brake system - Looking to improve your 510's brakes without having to swap in larger discs or going to the hassle of an entire brake swap? The stock system can be made to work pretty well...
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

You can very likely lock up the brakes without a booster, so what would you expect power brakes to do?
Ah now that is a VERY good point. Now I gotcha, Thanks! Being a somewhat youngster (31) I take ABS for granted lol.

I think I already have dq 3.3 in my stack of "to read" but thanks for pointing that one out. Ive picked out and backordered probably close to 10 issues so far and have yet to disect them all. Definitely good stuff.
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

I know I'm a *little* late to jump in on the topic right now, but I figured I'd ask anyway. My 510 has been sitting in the garage for several years (about 20-something years, with a bit of movement about 10 to 15 years ago, when we relocated into our garage). Should I completely replace the caliper (I will have 280zx struts for her, shortly) or should I attempt a brake rebuild? RockAuto has some caliper rebuild kits, but I don't know much about caliper disassembly and such. I can figure it out, but I don't know what exactly I can do about dealing with the threat of rust. I also need the rubber line replaced that runs to the caliper.
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I bought the front and rear rubber lines off ebay from a guy in Argentina, fair price and decent quality for all of the lines. The caliper kit will depend on the state of your pistons, if they are rusty .....
Jason
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

For ZX struts, I assume you're planning to run the ZX calipers. In which case they're still readily available complete/rebuilt starting at $20. None of the rebuild kids shown on RockAuto include pistons.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

I just got done doing complete brake on mine, original specs since I didn't lower it by much from original, master cylinder is reman (took me several years to locate one) got complete rebuild kits for calipers and rear drum system, all you need to do on calipers is take them apart and clean with carburetor cleaner, I used mothers polish to bring the piston for both calipers back, the seals are easy but tricky to install the metal ring, I went to home depot and got a pcv pipe lid to match the diameter of the ring and slowly pressed it evenly, the hard lines I used a new product that is very easy to bend and double flare, I'll look it up and post a follow up to it.
Diego.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

http://fedhillusa.com

I got something similar made in USA, $30 for 25' roll, it does not kink and very easy to double flare :-)
Diego.