i want rear discs on my wagon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jesusno2

i want rear discs on my wagon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jesusno2 » 07 Jun 2009 02:07

anyone got discs on their wagon? just when i though i had it figured out using zx rear brakes i hit a wall! i had not tore apart my axle yet in my goon so i thought once i did makin brackets would be a pretty easy job. boy was i wrong i didnt relize that after i cut off one of my rusty backing plates that they actually hold the axle in the housing :shock: and without them the bearing actually pertrudes out of the housing about a 1/8 of an inch or so :( I really dont wanna have to mess around with those bearings and lock collars but I might have to now to make a bracket that is machined out for the bearing that way it holds the axle in too. wondering if anyone else here has come across this and might have another solution?

Dimebag

Re: i want rear discs on my wagon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dimebag » 07 Jun 2009 13:42

John Thiessen
72 Wagon

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 08 Jun 2009 07:38

jesusno2 wrote:i thought once i did makin brackets would be a pretty easy job. boy was i wrong i didnt relize that after i cut off one of my rusty backing plates that they actually hold the axle in the housing
This is what happens when you don't research your project before you start cutting. More than a few people have wagons with rear discs, time to start searching and reading.

I'm working on getting a couple different methods published in DQ, but I don't have information handy to help at the moment.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 » 08 Jun 2009 20:09

Its ok anyways the backin plates were non longer useable due to cancer around the wheel cylinders I also found out sedan and wagon backing plates are way different.I'm commited now so. Soon I will have my own brackets and I think I will do a few extra so the wagon folk have bolt on brackets that fit with no problems and a E brake too!

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 09 Jun 2009 08:48

I was reading through this http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... s&start=30 and I got to the datsun.com website where it told about what disc brakes you could use on the rear. I was thinking about the 300zx non turbo disc brakes for the back, but can you use the same rotors off a 300zx on the front?

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 09 Jun 2009 08:58

spoolinitup33 wrote:I was thinking about the 300zx non turbo disc brakes for the back, [/quote

Uh, 300ZX front or back brakes for the back?
spoolinitup33 wrote:but can you use the same rotors off a 300zx on the front?
Uh, 300ZX front or back rotors for the front?

And, what front suspension do you have? And, what generation/year 300ZX?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 09 Jun 2009 10:47

I'm saying I know you can use the rear rotors off a 300zx non turbo for the rear of the 510, but can you use the front rotors off a 300zx for the front of the 510? I just have eibach coilovers, stock brakes and everything right now. And off of like a '85 300zx

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 09 Jun 2009 11:25

spoolinitup33 wrote:I'm saying I know you can use the rear rotors off a 300zx non turbo for the rear of the 510, but can you use the front rotors off a 300zx for the front of the 510? I just have eibach coilovers, stock brakes and everything right now. And off of like a '85 300zx
I don't know if Z31 front rotors will even bolt to the stock hub. Easier route is to fit Z31 hubs/rotors to 280ZX struts, or Z31 rotors to 280ZX struts and hubs, depending on your wheel choice.

IF Z31 front rotors bolted to the 510 strut, you're still left with making a bracket for your choice of caliper AND retaining the small stock wheel bearings.

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 09 Jun 2009 13:45

okayfine wrote:
spoolinitup33 wrote:I'm saying I know you can use the rear rotors off a 300zx non turbo for the rear of the 510, but can you use the front rotors off a 300zx for the front of the 510? I just have eibach coilovers, stock brakes and everything right now. And off of like a '85 300zx
I don't know if Z31 front rotors will even bolt to the stock hub. Easier route is to fit Z31 hubs/rotors to 280ZX struts, or Z31 rotors to 280ZX struts and hubs, depending on your wheel choice.

IF Z31 front rotors bolted to the 510 strut, you're still left with making a bracket for your choice of caliper AND retaining the small stock wheel bearings.
Ok I see what you're saying. What do you mean by the small stock wheel bearings? Is that one reason for upgrading to 280zx struts and hubs? I'm kind of confused when it comes to the brakes/suspension. I mean if you get the 280zx front struts and brakes, do you still need to replace the rear drums with discs? And if you get the 280zx front struts, do you cut the spring perch off the 280 struts and cut the ones off your stock struts and weld them to the 280 struts?

johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu » 09 Jun 2009 16:39

I got rear discs on my goon....Came with a whole rear end though. NOT CHEAP :cry:
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/

jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 » 09 Jun 2009 17:57

What diff is that? But that's my point discs on a sedan are easy and can be bought for a reasonable amount of $. I seen guys use all kinds of stuff to adapt discs on the goons and most was quite crude the sedan and the wagons are quite different. Soon I will have a bracket that adapts zx brakes to the rear of the wagon. Lazer cut, and beautifull!

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 09 Jun 2009 18:52

spoolinitup33 wrote: I mean if you get the 280zx front struts and brakes, do you still need to replace the rear drums with discs? And if you get the 280zx front struts, do you cut the spring perch off the 280 struts and cut the ones off your stock struts and weld them to the 280 struts?
No, you don't have to upgrade the rear brake when in stalling 280ZX front struts/brakes. Infact unless you are tracking the car, there's no need to touch the rear brakes at all!

As to the perch, no, you can use the stock 510 front sping on the 280ZX strut as is, The perch is a bit big, but it works. You can swap the PL510 perch onto the 280ZX strut; I've done it both ways.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 09 Jun 2009 19:36

Byron510 wrote:
spoolinitup33 wrote: I mean if you get the 280zx front struts and brakes, do you still need to replace the rear drums with discs? And if you get the 280zx front struts, do you cut the spring perch off the 280 struts and cut the ones off your stock struts and weld them to the 280 struts?
No, you don't have to upgrade the rear brake when in stalling 280ZX front struts/brakes. Infact unless you are tracking the car, there's no need to touch the rear brakes at all!

As to the perch, no, you can use the stock 510 front sping on the 280ZX strut as is, The perch is a bit big, but it works. You can swap the PL510 perch onto the 280ZX strut; I've done it both ways.

Byron
Ok so with the 280zx brakes in the front, it would have enough stopping power with the SR? That would save me a lot of trouble if I didn't have to mess with the back! And I could just put my coilovers on the 280zx struts? What is the reason people weld on new perches? Just because the 280 one is bigger?

jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 » 09 Jun 2009 20:06

The zx spring is a monster compared to the 510 spring I put zx struts on my wagon. I cut the spring perches off the 510 struts and welded them on to the zx struts. Also you'll need bumpsteer spacers also other wise you'll play hell trying to get the tie rod on the steering knuckle casue the caliper is right their! Or you can flip flop the struts so the caliper sticks foward but that looks funky to me but it works.

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 09 Jun 2009 20:40

jesusno2 wrote:The zx spring is a monster compared to the 510 spring I put zx struts on my wagon. I cut the spring perches off the 510 struts and welded them on to the zx struts. Also you'll need bumpsteer spacers also other wise you'll play hell trying to get the tie rod on the steering knuckle casue the caliper is right their! Or you can flip flop the struts so the caliper sticks foward but that looks funky to me but it works.
Alright. Does anyone have a picture of a bumpsteer spacer? I might go tommorow and see if I can get some front struts off a 280zx and I don't know exactly what a bumpsteer spacer looks like.