240Z vs 510 spindles

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
510rcr

240Z vs 510 spindles

Post by 510rcr »

I met a guy (cousin of an old school friend - met online due to common Datsun interests) who says that he has E34 model BMW 325 front rotors and calipers on his 240Z. He claims it is a direct bolt on, no fab. He is working in California and his Z cars are in St. Louis so I can't really just check it out.

I know that the G Production SCCA guys run the alunimum finned rear drums from a 240Z on 510's. Does anyone know if the 240Z spindles are the same size (id / od of bearings & same length) and if so, could this be true? Didn't a 240 have 14" rims though, or were they 13's as well?

If that is true, this could be an awsome upgrade with readily available parts. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this subject. I have searched around and can find nothing on it.
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: 240Z vs 510 spindles

Post by thisismatt »

The spindle doesn't have much to do with the caliper center to center bolt spacing, nor the caliper side to side relationship to the hub. Also, the E34 is not a 325
I'm your huckleberry.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Um I thought you couldn't use 240z spindles...am I wrong? isn't the camber way off or something?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

heirfaus wrote:Um I thought you couldn't use 240z spindles...am I wrong? isn't the camber way off or something?
OP never really got around to the point of his post, but yes, 240Z spindles (and, hence, struts) are not readily usable on 510s.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson