Braking Desions - racing applications

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
510rcr

Braking Desions - racing applications

Post by 510rcr »

I realize this is a somewhat well covered question but searches do not bring me to a decision path. I am slowly converting my ITC car to a vintage prep. While I cannot (and probably will not) be able to afford to chase points anymore, I do want to complete a "tour de america" and take in all the famous tracks - kind of my bucket list. Thus, I need a setup which will be legal in most sanctioning bodies, have racing pads & rotors that are readily available in various pad compounds - and ones that would have a good probability of being available for many years to come. To date, I have been good with the stock setup - which works well when adjusted & maitenanced, but no longer really has good pad choices anymore (my opinion).

I have read in a recent posting: Don Oldenberg at Design Products Racing does the mod out here, it's the only brake upgrade sanctioned in Vintage racing. All it is is a new mounting ear welded to the tube with a different rotor (can't remember which one). They'd fit under Libras no prob, but yes they are expensive.

I like Don and his products (he supplied me everything suspension wise when I built my car years ago) - if I purchased that setup, are those same rotors available from other locations as well? (I know pads would be). Is there another option out there I have missed?

Also, what would be the best option for my rears based on the same criteria? I am down to 2 sets of "Green Stuff" Nissan Comp shoes - which I might note, have served me well as long as you adjust and tighten the rears prior to every track session. That being said, I would like to go to vintage legal rear discs to get away from having to jack and adjust the rears every session.

Thank you for everyones advise and patience.
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
510-Trevor
Supporter

Re: Braking Desions - racing applications

Post by 510-Trevor »

PM'd you.
1972 Yellow 4dr
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510-Trevor wrote:PM'd you.
Anything to share??

Don is the guy who makes quite a few of the "Comp" items, like the spray bar kits, and the comp pans (I found this out after paying a fortune for mine with Nissans wonder mark up scheme). Does Don have a set for the front/rear? What do they entail, if they are Vintage leagal?

I would be very interested in what you find out as I too am looking for a period correct rear brake upgrade that will also fit under my 13" Libra's

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Just passing on the link to the Porterfield pads/shoes I have for sale in the Classifieds.
1972 Yellow 4dr
510rcr

Post by 510rcr »

Byron510, PM was that Porterfields were for sale.

As you mentioned, Don Oldenberg makes the comp pans for Nissan. If anyone sends him a REAR DRAIN PAN, vs a side drain pan, he can make you a comp pan; heck of a nice setup. I have always had good experiences with Don.

Another question I have on braking is does anyone have experience with how strict different vintage groups are when there are such issues with parts availability as we have? The reason I ask is that I have an old BMW E30 325is street car I just rebuilt. (It's a nice practice platform as it handles & drives much like my 510.) You can still buy a boatload of 2002 stuff in the same catalogues I use for my car which makes me think I should convert over to some BMW or other brand braking system (E30 has a nice vented disk set up, unflrtunately different 4 bolt pattern). I guess I need to start traveling and go to vintage races & see what 510's are doing.
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
steveracer

Post by steveracer »

Matt,

I race a 510 in the Midwest with Vintage Sports car drivers association VSCDA. Our club looks at What is called Era correct. Sounds crazy but what was available in 1972 that is our cut off date for Performance mods. So Wilwood brakes are not allowed. But 240z brakes are. Also Ap racing etc. As far as rears you can run discs. Nobody is really going to check what you have back there if they are a steel part. A buddy ran a Bmw 2002 and his rears were Porsche 356 calipers. If you want more info contact me at sspmotorsport@aol.com
Steve
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

The "Period Correct " mod that Don does is for the aluminum 911 SC caliper, he modifies the strut with a different ear, and gives you the rotor for the caliper. I run them on my car and the they are great, but expensive. PM me if you want pics and more info.
As for rears, adjusting every session sounds like you don't have the proper pad. I run the Porterfield race compound on aluminum drums and get a season out of them....but brakes only slow you down anyway. 8)
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Matt,
My Datsun 1200 races in SCCA GTL, but it is still very much period correct for vintage racing. The car uses 240Z hubs/rotors on 200SX struts with 4 piston, cast iron, FIA calipers up front and 240Z aluminum drums in the rear. The braking is excellent for it's 2025# weight (car & driver) even without brake ducting.

This set-up could be closely duplicated by using 810 or 200SX struts, hubs and solid rotors with 79-85(86?) Toyota 4 Runner, 4 piston, CI calipers up front (made by Sumitomo, same as the FIA calipers are) and 240Z aluminum drums in the rear.

Here is an old thread from the BB List with some details on the 4 Runner conversion.
http://www.datsun510.com/bbmail/2003-2/5010.html

Mark Grimsley, Grims Customs http://datsun510.com/shop3/ (he sells rocker and floor patch panels for 510's) has installed 4 Runner calipers on 810 struts in his Wagon. You might try contacting him for the details/advice.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH