Brake line question

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
primekutzz

Brake line question

Post by primekutzz » 20 Aug 2009 08:29

I'm gonna be doing a complete suspension and brake upgrade in a few months. I've sourced most of my suspension and brake parts from Ermish. However, for the braking system, the master cylinder is coming from Ebay. I don't have any brake lines on the car as it was a shell and never came with them. So I'm blessed with the task of bending up and fabbing up my own brake lines.

Question is: Anyone here done this before on the car? How hard was it? What tools do I need (bender and flare tool)? I have a few diagrams of a stock 510's brake lines, should I follow that general routing of the lines or should I see if I can improve on the layout? The car is currently undergoing a sr20de swap (non-turbo), should I make any special provisions or routing for the brake lines? Lastly, there are a few kits online, but does anyone know which one i should go with. I know Eastwood has 2, and total cost involved has a universal SS and regular steel kit. I don't know which one i should go with and what size tubing to use.

Anyone out there that can help?

spoolinitup33

Re: Brake line question

Post by spoolinitup33 » 20 Aug 2009 08:35

primekutzz wrote:I'm gonna be doing a complete suspension and brake upgrade in a few months. I've sourced most of my suspension and brake parts from Ermish. However, for the braking system, the master cylinder is coming from Ebay. I don't have any brake lines on the car as it was a shell and never came with them. So I'm blessed with the task of bending up and fabbing up my own brake lines.

Question is: Anyone here done this before on the car? How hard was it? What tools do I need (bender and flare tool)? I have a few diagrams of a stock 510's brake lines, should I follow that general routing of the lines or should I see if I can improve on the layout? The car is currently undergoing a sr20de swap (non-turbo), should I make any special provisions or routing for the brake lines? Lastly, there are a few kits online, but does anyone know which one i should go with. I know Eastwood has 2, and total cost involved has a universal SS and regular steel kit. I don't know which one i should go with and what size tubing to use.

Anyone out there that can help?
I bent all the brake lines on my car. You need a pipe bender and a flaring tool. It helps having a friend there with you too. Doesn't the one stock brake line go to the rear brakes go up through the tranny tunnel? I re did that one, and just ran it back the same route as my fuel lines. I wouldn't buy any kits, it's too easy to do yourself man!! Get some 1/4" line, a tube bender,some fittings, and a flaring tool and go to town!

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 20 Aug 2009 08:52

spoolinitup33 wrote:... a flaring tool and go to town!
a GOOD flaring tool!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 20 Aug 2009 09:07

I did my own lines on my SR swap, all of them, the only one I reused was the one that goes to the rear, but I re-routed it similar to my fuel likes also. Here are some lessons I learned:
1. Get a good flaring tool, or find a shop that has one and have them flare your lines after you have them all bent up. This is probably the most important step. Those cheap flaring tools at your local parts store are just that, CHEAP. I wasted a ton of money on lines trying to flare them with one of those cheesy tools. It is very difficult to get a good double flare with these type tools. If you want to buy a good one it's gonna cost you about 320.00 for the nice hydraulic one they sell on ebay. Trust me here, it's worth the money, perfect flares every time.
2. Get a decent bender, doesn't have to be expensive, most any one will work.....they look like a pair of pliers with different sized dies that change out to accommodate different sized lines.
3. Do not over-bend the lines, it makes them weak and it's not good....remember your brakes stop you.....the single most important part on a moving car period.....a million HP ain't gonna help you in this department.
4. I bought the lines they sell at your local parts store, they have pre-made lines, in different lengths, with the fittings installed, get the closest one and cut one end to length, then you only have to flare one end.
5. I ran across two different color lines, one had a green type coating and the other was just the silver color, either will be good....I really don't know the difference?? There are also stainless steel lines, I think this is overkill.....I mean really, how many cars come from the factory with stainless lines???
6. For the line that runs from the proportion valve to the right side, I ran mine across the back side of the engine crossmember and used two ADEL clamps attaching it to the member. Gives a cleaner look.

...almost forgot, I used a piece of string to determine how long each line needed to be, then took all my strings to the parts store to make sure I got the lines long enough for each one.......

Hope this helps....Rich

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 20 Aug 2009 09:21

If you haven't bought your line yet, consider this stuff.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

It's the best stuff available, copper nickel alloy. Extremely easy to bend, I used my fingers for all but the trickiest sections, and totally corrosion resistant! It was a joy to work with, and I've done lots of work with the steel lines in the past, never again.

Also, use 3/16 for brake lines, and 1/4" for the clutch lines.

primekutzz

Post by primekutzz » 20 Aug 2009 10:15

Wow...thanks for all the great input. I'm guessing 3/16" line is what I need. What size fittings do I need to get to make them fit a stock master cylinder and would it be overkill or unnecessary to get an adjustable proportioning valve like this one from Summit Racing...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A0730PL/

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 20 Aug 2009 16:32

This is another reason I bought the pre-made lines, it comes with the fittings, you will need the standard metric with standard double flare. just take one of the short lines with you to the parts store, you can be sure to match the thread pitch and ensure you get the right ones. As for the adjustable valve, it's always good to be able to adjust something, especially if you put disc brakes on the rear, but i used the stock stuff and mine stops fine.....is it perfect, I have no idea, but I am not a racer.....or a maniac driver.

niz16

Post by niz16 » 20 Aug 2009 17:08

i used a mate of mine who is a brake guy to do all new lines on the car when the shell was ready, now im in the middle of a small acco repair which has turned into another full respray, and this time im ditching the small factory splitter and valve that came with the 240k booster and master cylinder that i run on the car with a wilwood adjustable valve,
a good project datsun is never finished, theres always something else to do or something new to try

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 20 Aug 2009 19:01

You might want to explain the 240K stuff, I think that's the Aussie model R30 skyline right??

niz16

Post by niz16 » 20 Aug 2009 19:58

dont know if its a skyline back in japan, but they had em as two doors with the big black flares on em mate, havent seen them for ages over here,

my wife and i will be back in japan( shes japanese) in november for a few weeks ill ask around and see what they where for you,

and ill try on the net now too
a good project datsun is never finished, theres always something else to do or something new to try

niz16

Post by niz16 » 20 Aug 2009 20:02

goichi according the wiki they were c110s, if you google image 240k youll see what we got over here mate

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 20 Aug 2009 22:20

oh yea....that's a KenMary in Japan....the model just after the Hakosuka (box skyline) came is like 73/4 to about 78/9??? am i close??

niz16

Post by niz16 » 21 Aug 2009 05:01

you got it man, we dont see too many of em nowdays but they were good for parts, things like struts, gearbox , brakes untill we started to see some crazy gear like the guys at datsport put out

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 21 Aug 2009 08:28

sorry to tread jack, but you know the 240k is worth big bucks in Japan, very rare here, there are many KenMary cars but the Aussie 240k is money here in Japan.

niz16

Post by niz16 » 22 Aug 2009 00:10

really, man i remember going to the wreckers back 10 to 15 years when i was a young un there was heaps of them, 2 doors and mostly four doors thou, like i said thou i havent seen one in years,

where abouts in japan are you living mate??????

i lived in kyushu , just out side of fukokua kinda saga/tosu area with my wife about a year ago, had to come back home for family reasons as my father was terminally ill,

we will be back for a short stay from the 15th of november to the 1st of december, flying in to osaka, for a few nights then bullet train it back to good ol saga for the rest of the stay,

you dont know of any ol datto shops or places near osaka by any chance mate????