13x8/13x7 wheel + SR20?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Crevier

13x8/13x7 wheel + SR20?

Post by Crevier »

I don't know shit about gearing and ratio etc... so here the question... I what to stay with 13'' wheel for the ''old school look'' but with a SR20DET under the hood will it have a big traction problem? The SR comes OEM with 15'', will worn out the tranny? what will the best tire compound/width for lapping/street application in 13''?

sorry lots of question but only you guys can help me!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 13x8/13x7 wheel + SR20?

Post by okayfine »

Traction can be an issue depending on how you drive, however your bigger concern will be braking. 280ZX stuff can be made to fit in the front, but won't clear most 13s.

Overall gearing changes won't "wear" out the transmission and, in any case, you can compensate for it by changing the rear diff ratio. You might want to track down gearing calculator to figure out revs per mile and in gear to see if you're going to be doing 75mph on the freeway and buzzing at 5000rpm, or 3000. www.datsuns.com has one that lets you input all sorts of differences and changes on the fly.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Crevier

Post by Crevier »

thanks!

I've found another gear calculator, can't find the one you mention...

http://www.izook.com/gearcalc.htm

according to this calculator I will be around 300rpm faster at 60mph, this difference can cause problem?

and what tire will be best?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The difference is meaningless if you don't care about the additional 300rpm buzz, which should be minor. Certainly won't affect the drivetrain.

As to tires, your options are pretty limited in 13". Best bet would be to search tirerack and see what they offer in the ultra hi-po or race stuff and go from there.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
moath

Post by moath »

Your traction will also have a lot to do with the tire's compound. A skinny 13" tire with a R compound will easily outperform a wide 15" wheel with your grandmother's $30 Sears special tires.

If you don't go to a different brake rotor/caliper combo, you'll definitely want to put some better brake pads on. I've been really happy with my Porterfield R4S pads.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

moath wrote:If you don't go to a different brake rotor/caliper combo, you'll definitely want to put some better brake pads on. I've been really happy with my Porterfield R4S pads.
An SR20DET510 should in no way remain on the stock 510 brakes. :roll:
Crevier

Post by Crevier »

dont worry I have wilwood up front!

thanks for the info! seriously!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Crevier wrote:dont worry I have wilwood up front!
As an aside, what rotors?

Likely your biggest problem will be finding a 13" wheel that will fit around your calipers.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

having both 13" tires, with 032's on them, and 15" tires, with 048's on there, the only difference I have found is the change the over all gearing has. IE: A 21" tall package as opposed to a 23' tall package. As both tires have virtually the same amount of rubber on the road, I found traction identical. As others said, that is your key, the compound you use. With an Sr powered 510, you will want...no...need as much stick as possible, and I second Ok's brake issue! I have 300 HP on tap, and when you row that thing through the corners, in second gear, your life is hanging on how good that thing is sticking.

The 048's I have found, given they are still a street legal race tire, are not as soft as the truly competitive solo tires, they are an amazing tire. They have incredible stick, and are super predictable, specially on the rear, where jumping on the power in a corner is not stupidly dramatic, at least at the boost level I run. Weight transfer becomes also critical to stick , as a too hard a rear setup just lets the tires spin. To me, the perfect balance is to be able to jump on the power, and just be close to insipient wheel spin. This both keeps you safe, and maximizes forward motion. My years of slaloming needed NO wasted traction, as the clock ticked, and you did not want to go up in smoke.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
indy510

Post by indy510 »

How do you plan to fit a 13x8 in the rear??? Do you have flares??? you will need them........

Willwood makes a smaller brake kit,,, and troy ermish said he would have to make a special caliper mount to fit 13x7 in front,,, and he still might have to grind off part of the caliper...

Only problem is he said I would need flares and probably spacers too,,, and a 13x6 wheel sounded kinda doubfull too

Unless you have flares I would recomend a 14x6 wheel in front with a 195/45/14 tire,,, Lots of guys are running 14's with the bigger willwood kit...

If anyone has 13's, and willwoods, and stock fenders,,,,,,,,, please chime in
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

indy510 wrote:How do you plan to fit a 13x8 in the rear??? Do you have flares??? you will need them........

Willwood makes a smaller brake kit,,, and troy ermish said he would have to make a special caliper mount to fit 13x7 in front,,, and he still might have to grind off part of the caliper...

Only problem is he said I would need flares and probably spacers too,,, and a 13x6 wheel sounded kinda doubfull too

Unless you have flares I would recomend a 14x6 wheel in front with a 195/45/14 tire,,, Lots of guys are running 14's with the bigger willwood kit...

If anyone has 13's, and willwoods, and stock fenders,,,,,,,,, please chime in

I have the Ermish Willwood kit on my car...front and back. He said it would clear 13" Panasports...he did not mention the width or offset of the Panasports however. I am sure there are several true 3pcs JDM 13's that will clear also. The cast wheel seem to have less clearance than alot fo the JDM 3PCS wheels.

The RPM gear ratio calculator you need is here.
http://www.car-videos.net/tools/speedrp ... ecalculate

If you ran a 175/50/13 with a SR trans and a 3.54 final drive you will be able to run 148mph in 5th gear at 7000 rpm.

At 3000 rpm you will be at 65mph and so fourth......

Allmost the SR and KA pwered 240sx S13 AND S14 run these gear ratios.

1st gear is 3.323
2nd gear is 1.9
3rd is 1.308
4th is 1.0
5th is .759

This gear ratio calculator should be a sticky.....I have posted this info several times for folks now.