Brake upgrade on stock struts

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
TeamHightower

Brake upgrade on stock struts

Post by TeamHightower » 01 Oct 2009 14:42

Hi all,

New to the board so forgive me if my searching capabilities are limited. I'm looked for an answer on this and other boards prior to posting.

I've a '69 510 rally car. It has the factory Safari rally suspension in it. I'd like to upgrade the brakes like the 280ZX upgrade, but can't change the struts, both because I can't afford to lower the car as well as having the shock/spring combo I like. Are there any brake upgrades that will still fit 14" wheels that bolt onto the existing stock structs?

Second question will be about rear brake discs that match up with what ever I do in the front. I'm sure I can do the alum. Z drums, but I'd much rather have discs in the rear.

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.
Greg
Team Hightower
'69 510 rally car
www.teamhightower.com/cars/510.htm

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Brake upgrade on stock struts

Post by datzenmike » 01 Oct 2009 19:35

For rear disc try the search function looking for mention of '77-'79 200sx rear disc swap.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 02 Oct 2009 06:51

TeamHightower wrote:I'd like to upgrade the brakes like the 280ZX upgrade, but can't change the struts, both because I can't afford to lower the car as well as having the shock/spring combo I like.
If you can weld, or know of someone who can weld, you can change to the ZX stuff and keep your stock springs and ride height. Remove the ZX lower spring perch, remove your 510 strut lower spring perch, weld it to the ZX strut in the appropriate spot. Easy-peasy.
TeamHightower wrote:Are there any brake upgrades that will still fit 14" wheels that bolt onto the existing stock structs?
You'll want to talk with Don at DPR. He has something the vintage guys use to stay legal, but it's not cheap. It's also not listed on this page, but contact info is, so:

http://www.designproductsracing.com/brakes.html
TeamHightower wrote:Second question will be about rear brake discs that match up with what ever I do in the front.
Hard to answer until you know what you're doing up front. But ZX stuff can also go on the rear.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 02 Oct 2009 08:23

TeamHightower wrote: I'd like to upgrade the brakes like the 280ZX upgrade, but can't change the struts, both because I can't afford to lower the car as well as having the shock/spring combo I like. Are there any brake upgrades that will still fit 14" wheels that bolt onto the existing stock structs?
I made a solution for my first rally car. I had a set of 510 wagon Koni orange rally inserts (longest 510 struts), but also wanted a brake upgrade. I took a pair of 280ZX spindles, machined the strut tube out, and replaced the whole tube with a new one that was longer to accept the new wagon inserts I had. I however made the set up use the 2 1/2" smaller diameter springs and also made up a set of camber plates and adjustable T/C rods while I was at it. The set worked very well with 225# springs. The extra suspension travel and higher spring rate made the car much more predictable, especially when airborne!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

TeamHightower

Post by TeamHightower » 04 Oct 2009 19:55

Thanks for the replys. This is just about what I expected to hear.

The car already has the factory Africa Safari setup. Back from the days when you could just call the factory and tell them to send you what they use. So the concept of just welding the spindle assymbly to the bottom of the original factory tube makes sense. Then I can follow suit with matching rears.
Team Hightower
'69 510 rally car
www.teamhightower.com/cars/510.htm