Upgrading Tie rods

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
XeroX

Upgrading Tie rods

Post by XeroX »

So im thinking of making my own version of Troy Ermish's Steering kit :

http://www.ermish-racing.com/510/steeringkit.html

I was thinking about order a set of Heim Joints (aka Rod ends) like these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-MAX10T/

I think im going to go to my machine shop and c if they can make me a center link with threading to match the rod ends, since the rod ends are male i will need some kind of hollow tubing to have my machine shop thread...

the heim joints are teflon lined, should it be better to go metal to metal? any benefits? Troy's are teflon or nylon i beleive...one of the two.

I realize that i am going to have to bore out the steering knuckles and Drag link to accomidate the 5/8 inch bolt. Any opinions on this? I am concerned that its too rigid for a street car and the last thing i want is something snapping under load ... Or no? Anyone with experience with this type of setup please fill me in, i tried searching for some more info and havent really found much that will help me out...

Thanks in advance :)
I dont drink and drive, i SMOKE and FLY!
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: Upgrading Tie rods

Post by thisismatt »

Ball joints are rigid joints, so it's not going to be more so in that sense. I'll be doing the same to mine when I put in the rack & pinion if that ever happens (I already have the swaged tubes purchased). Heim joints/rod ends will be available far into the future whereas OEM ball joints will not be. The main issue is a bare rod end collects dirt and wears, and isn't really greaseable but I know of at least one company that does make boots for rod ends...kind of expensive last time I looked for them, though.
I'm your huckleberry.
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

They make greaseable heim joints mcmaster carr has them. Or the self lubricating ones will be fine for years to come I've built lots of 4x4 steering links etc that get submerged in mud, sand, etc they still work fine. 3/4 120 wal dom you can thread 5/8 18 directly with no machining. Although I would probabbly use solid rod and drill and tap the ends. The dom may not be ridgid enough for a steering link.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I would think that a 3/4"X.120 wall piece of DOM tubing over a, 8" span would be plenty strong - it's got to be more beefy than the original 12 or 14mm rod that all of our cars came with from the factory :D

But I too would be concerned about the joint being exposed all the time under a car that sees regular use (especially in areas like the Pacific NW were rain happens a lot!). Any quality Hiem joint will be available with a grease able fitting.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
XeroX

Post by XeroX »

Great input!

Now, with a greasable heim joint/rod end. Does that require more “maintenance” as opposed to a nylon/Teflon lined joint? I’m trying to picture this in my head…If there is no boot I could see that they would need to be packed with grease more often than not. I was leaning a bit more towards Nylon simply because that’s what Troy uses…I guess im going the Fanboy route haaha
I dont drink and drive, i SMOKE and FLY!