where to get hardline brake fittings, lines etc

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jesusno2

where to get hardline brake fittings, lines etc

Post by jesusno2 » 18 Oct 2009 13:10

ok i searched every auto parts store in my vacinity today. trying to find the parts to replace my hard lines to the rear brakes on my goon. as far as i can tell the lines are 3/16 with a single flare with 10mm x 100 fittings. I have to replace the long section that runs the lenght of the car from the firewll to the rear axle ,and the soft line to the axle. then to the rear calipers (zx rear discs) where's a good place to find this hardline and fittings the rest i can have softlines or braided lines made. i would like to run softlines from the T on the axle to the calipers with banjo fittings. any recomendations for this stuff i searched online but im still seeing mostly standard double flare stuff. :(

okayfine
Supporter

Re: where to get hardline brake fittings, lines etc

Post by okayfine » 18 Oct 2009 16:01

I don't think you're going to find a line long enough for the center section at a parts store. You should be able to find a few different lengths, though, in metric 10mm x 1.0. Even PepBoys carries the stuff, but they have it in the back at my local place, so you have to ask 'em about it.

So if you bought off-the-shelf stuff you're going to have to use a coupler fitting to join two shorter pieces. The alternative is to roll your own, but the good flare tools are not cheap and there's a bit of a learning curve. If you've got an in at a place that sells braided stainless brake lines, you could run a braided line all the way back. I'd try to find hard line, personally.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 » 18 Oct 2009 16:35

i dont have a pep boys anywhere close to me. napa, had nothing shucks had a peice about 12 inches long. car quest is closed sundays. never seen any hardline stuff in that pathtic store anyways. i dont mind coupling 2 together. its just finding the peices! i have super sweet ,snap on brake flaring tool, and bender i need those fittings mainly and a coupler.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 18 Oct 2009 16:57

jesusno2 wrote:its just finding the peices!
I feel your pain. Finding someone who works at an auto parts store that knows what you're talking about is becoming a bigger issue as well.
jesusno2 wrote: i have super sweet ,snap on brake flaring tool, and bender i need those fittings mainly and a coupler.
Wouldn't need the flare tool if you're going to couple two shorter pieces. You could make your own line with it, though. I would have thought Napa would have been able to help you out with the pieces (they couldn't even order line?) and fittings. Likely lots of places online for the fittings, then just get a roll of steel hardline and flare your own.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen » 19 Oct 2009 07:27

I just finished making all new lines on my car. Napa should be able to order you a 25 foot roll of 3/16 hard line. I could not get metric fittings from them though. The fittings are available online but I ended up finding them at auto zone in the back after being told that they do not carry them. Guess it just depends on who you talk to. Most people that work at the parts house don't know what they have with out a year make and model.

jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 » 19 Oct 2009 12:24

Exactly no parts house I found had a clue about the fittings couldn't even find em in their parts book. I'm thinking at this point I'm gonna try and hit a wrecking yard and get some fittings

DeRuX

Post by DeRuX » 19 Oct 2009 13:44

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 19 Oct 2009 14:31

Or this place, plus they have the best brake line.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 03 Nov 2009 06:47

I have a hard time believing that none of the part stores in your area carry the pre-made lines, with the fittings installed, I lived in Oak Harbor, Washington and that small island town had them in all three or four parts stores, go in there and find the oldest guy and ask him, take a sample of what you are looking for, even a picture will do wonders.....if you have to, go back and buy the ones that were really short, cut them and get the fittings off, then order the roll of line and make your own, or just order everything off the internet, you CAN get ANYTHING from the internet. You just need to find the right place to do biz. I built my car on that small island, with limited parts, I ordered almost everything.....so it's out there.

Have you ever used that Snap-on flaring tool yet?? just curious.....if it looks like the more popular one on ebay, the one that looks like a c-clamp that slides over a vise type deal with different holes in.....it probably sucks. you need the hydraulic one....it's about 300 bucks or so....can't remember what I paid right now, but it's the "bomb diggity"....super easy to make perfect double flares everytime.....with very minimal practice. I fumbled with one of those cheaper one's and wasted money on brake line and time.....just junk.
Attachments
ggreat tool.jpg
This is the one......you want..
ggreat tool.jpg (11.09 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
junk tool.jpg
This is the one you don't want.....or anything that looks like it.
junk tool.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 » 03 Nov 2009 12:51

goichi1 wrote: Have you ever used that Snap-on flaring tool yet?? just curious.....if it looks like the more popular one on ebay, the one that looks like a c-clamp that slides over a vise type deal with different holes in.....it probably sucks. you need the hydraulic one....it's about 300 bucks or so....can't remember what I paid right now, but it's the "bomb diggity"....super easy to make perfect double flares everytime.....with very minimal practice. I fumbled with one of those cheaper one's and wasted money on brake line and time.....just junk.
I have to agree, the flaring tools that looks like a C clamp are complete crap. I was working out of town one time on a walk in cooler job and I forgot my good flaring tool at home. I didn't want to drive all the way back home to get it, so I went to the nearest lowes and bought a flaring tool they had. It looks a lot like the one that you showed in the 2nd picture, and it wouldn't even flare copper properly. I ended up driving back home and getting my good one.

dimeofftheline

Post by dimeofftheline » 06 Nov 2009 12:16

Jesusno2...I've been buying 5 foot lengths of metric brake line at Knecht's in Salem and Keizer. You have to go behind the counter to find them. They don't always have the greatest selection because the guys that work there don't bother to read the tags and always put the Standard thread stuff in the metric racks. I just did the complete brake and clutch systems on my 2-door and I think I used 5 or 6 of those lengths of tube.