Tires other than Sumitomo HTR 200

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jim.nos

Tires other than Sumitomo HTR 200

Post by jim.nos »

I've had a search around the boards for old topics but can't find an answer.

Do 215/50R13 tires exist that aren't Sumitomo HTR200 and are approved for street use? I've found Kumho V710s but those would wear in the blink of an eye for street driving. I am happy with my HTR200s for the most part but I'm just looking for potential alternatives.
Byron510

Re: Tires other than Sumitomo HTR 200

Post by Byron510 »

Even Yokohama discontinued the 13” tire sizes in Canada - damb!
Looks like I will have to go south of the border to get them next time...I drive my car so little that the soft tires work fine for me – Lovin’ every minute of it - and I've always had good luck with the Yoko's.
If you do find something post it up here, but I don't think you will. I went down this road 2 years ago and came up empty handed.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

You can try these guys: http://www.tracksideperformance.com/Contact.htm
They had bought up all of the 215/50/13's Yoko's, don't know if they have any left tho.
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

Kal-Tire in Burnaby can get Yokohama Advan A032R in 215/50R13 at ~$160 a tire. They apparently don't differentiate between hard and soft compound (contrary to what I have read elsewhere on the internet). And they are just limited production, not discontinued.

I also just found this one and have never seen it before is the Bridgestone MY-01 also 215/50R13. These look quite ordinary though.

Some smaller tire stores may have some Kumho 712's kicking around still. My friends at OK on Kingsway in Burnaby didn't have any, but I found 2 in Toronto.

Kumho v710's are always an option but I'm too intimidated at the cost especially if you can only get 6-8 heat cycles out of them. And what if it ever rains...
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

I guess i should get on this too as I've got a set of 13x7 Libres that need reshoeing... if anyone comes up with a good option, let me know.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Merlin,

Give me a shout. I picked up 7 brand new Toyo's in 215/50-13 size a couple years ago - but they were too hard for my liking. They have a 160 tread wear rating, but they are 12 years old! They were still stored in the dark with stickers still on them (three still have the stickers - never been mounted, the other 4 are on another set of 13X7 AR Libre's) - PM me or we can talk next time you are down.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

sounds good to me! we'll talk after x mas.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
speeder

Post by speeder »

I looked for a while and was only able to come up with the HTR 200 in 13" sizes. I bought a set of 175/70 13" for my stocker and mounted them on stock steel wheels and I drove them hard for the last 1.5 years. They are pretty good for a stock tire- smooth riding, quiet, and they wear pretty well. They are predictable as well for sliding around in both wet and dry in a stock 510. The sidewalls are pretty soft, so watch your pressure closely.

I recently bought a pair of 14" AR Libres and found it tough to find suitable smallish tires in 14" as well. I finally went with Yoko ES100's, 185/60 14". They are a huge improvement over the Sumitomo's, but they won't be available for much longer as I believe Yoko had stopped making the ES 100's.
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster