Camber Plates - info and reviews?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
vdubjim

Camber Plates - info and reviews?

Post by vdubjim »

Here are the models ive found searching here and the internets.

Design Products $275
http://designproductsracing.com/510_Fro ... nsion.html

Ermish $275

Ground Control $299

T3 $180

Datsport $560

Cusco $250-$300
http://shop.edoperformance.com/cusco-fr ... 12640.html

Anyone wish to contribute with reviews/stats on them
Last edited by vdubjim on 18 Mar 2010 14:17, edited 2 times in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Camber Plates - info and reviews?

Post by okayfine »

Whichever you select, make sure the pillow ball/rod end bushing is sized correctly for the strut insert you intend to use.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Wicked Saint
Supporter

Post by Wicked Saint »

I am using the DP Racing ones that are not offset. You need to trim out a bit of the raised portion on the tower as pictured to get full travel. They do exactly what they are supposed to do but I can point out a few things I found to be not optimal. the 2 bolt design is a little wobbly when your trying to tighten it down. I suspect this is why some designs use 4 bolts. And I wish the 3 bolts that mount to the strut tower were pressed into the camber plate, it would have made installation much easier. But like I said they do their job so I'm happy with them. Oh, and I'm using shorted stock struts with a Tokico HZ3038 insert

vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

The DP and Ermish plates are the same, the Ground controls are nice too.
In my opinion go for the offset type as you will get a little extra caster which is nice to have.
I have the offset type DP/Ermish plates in my wagon.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

Can 510s use S13 240sx camber plates?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yes.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Baz

Post by Baz »

Just to set the record straight.
Datsport camber tops are AU$560
After removing sales tax & currency conversion they are US$465 complete.
Also these parts are included. we also use a larger bearing than most others so we can fit
Koni, kyb,bilstien etc.
http://www.datsport.com/suspension-fron ... rings.html
Attachments
These are the additional parts included
These are the additional parts included
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

thanks baz!

Shipping guess to the usa?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Baz, those are nice looking parts. Is my assumption correct that the parts assemble to form a shrouded labyrinth-like shield ('seal') to protect the upper thrust bearing from environmental contamination?

EDIT - nevermind - I just read the info in the page you provided a link for.

"The thrust bearing that is used in the Datsport camber plate is much the same as used by Nissan. It is fully sealed and seated by the top hat & standoff combined. We believe this is the first of its kind and certainly the only production camber plate made in Australia with an inbuilt thrust bearing."
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Baz wrote:Just to set the record straight.
Datsport camber tops are AU$560
After removing sales tax & currency conversion they are US$465 complete.
Also these parts are included. we also use a larger bearing than most others so we can fit
Koni, kyb,bilstien etc.
http://www.datsport.com/suspension-fron ... rings.html
My question, and one which I don't see solved very well by any other plate either, is even with the thrust or needle bearing, how is the load transferred from the top hat to the camber plate, without putting the load on the spherical bearing while allowing the fore/aft motion of the strut rod about the spherical bearing during suspension travel? In other words, when you say "Without a thrust bearing the bump & corner loads cause a spherical bearing to load up and partially seize" how is your plate taking the bump & corner loads off the spherical bearing while still allowing the top hat to move side to side with the strut rod as it goes through suspension travel? The spring pushes on the top hat, the top hat pushes on one side of the thrust or needle bearing, so then what does the other side of the thrust or needle bearing push against if not the spherical bearing? If it somehow pushes against the camber plate itself, what kind of joint is this and how does it wear?
Last edited by thisismatt on 20 Mar 2010 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
I'm your huckleberry.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Last edited by Pedro on 19 Dec 2010 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

thisismatt wrote: In other words, when you say "Without a thrust bearing the bump & corner loads cause a spherical bearing to load up and partially seize" how is your plate taking the bump & corner loads off the spherical bearing while still allowing the top hat to move side to side with the strut rod as it goes through suspension travel? The spring pushes on the top hat, the top hat pushes on one side of the thrust or needle bearing, so then what does the other side of the thrust or needle bearing push against if not the spherical bearing? If it somehow pushes against the camber plate itself, what kind of joint is this and how does it wear?
You are on the correct track in bold. If you look at vdubjim's post near the top, look closely at the design products picture.....the part where the spherical bearing is with the 2 studs and nuts, well if you turned that part over you will see that the spherical bearing is circliped in, you would also see a grove for the needle/torrington bearing race to ride in. This is where all the forces are transfered directly to the camber plate. The spherical bearing is only to center the strut rod and allow it to transmit the dampening forces....it carries no vehicle weight what so ever. That small needle bearing transfers all the weight. It hasn't worn at all in my car after 4+ years.
Hope this helps
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

vgwagon wrote:
thisismatt wrote: In other words, when you say "Without a thrust bearing the bump & corner loads cause a spherical bearing to load up and partially seize" how is your plate taking the bump & corner loads off the spherical bearing while still allowing the top hat to move side to side with the strut rod as it goes through suspension travel? The spring pushes on the top hat, the top hat pushes on one side of the thrust or needle bearing, so then what does the other side of the thrust or needle bearing push against if not the spherical bearing? If it somehow pushes against the camber plate itself, what kind of joint is this and how does it wear?
You are on the correct track in bold. If you look at vdubjim's post near the top, look closely at the design products picture.....the part where the spherical bearing is with the 2 studs and nuts, well if you turned that part over you will see that the spherical bearing is circliped in, you would also see a grove for the needle/torrington bearing race to ride in. This is where all the forces are transfered directly to the camber plate. The spherical bearing is only to center the strut rod and allow it to transmit the dampening forces....it carries no vehicle weight what so ever. That small needle bearing transfers all the weight. It hasn't worn at all in my car after 4+ years.
Hope this helps
I'm surprised it doesn't wear...it sounds like the square ground control plates (not listed in this thread) that I have - they have a subtle ball and socket design where the top hat upper needle bearing has a thick upper "washer" with a convex/cup face that rides on a "ball" face machined into the camber plate.
I'm your huckleberry.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

thisismatt wrote:I'm surprised it doesn't wear...it sounds like the square ground control plates (not listed in this thread) that I have - they have a subtle ball and socket design where the top hat upper needle bearing has a thick upper "washer" with a convex/cup face that rides on a "ball" face machined into the camber plate.
A far superior design for sure.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

vgwagon wrote:
thisismatt wrote:I'm surprised it doesn't wear...it sounds like the square ground control plates (not listed in this thread) that I have - they have a subtle ball and socket design where the top hat upper needle bearing has a thick upper "washer" with a convex/cup face that rides on a "ball" face machined into the camber plate.
A far superior design for sure.
They're not currently "in service", but I feel like they would wear out eventually too
I'm your huckleberry.