wilwood or 280zx Master cylinders and zx or z31 hubs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
gumby510

wilwood or 280zx Master cylinders and zx or z31 hubs

Post by gumby510 »

Hey guys, I have a few questions. Alright currently I have 280zx front calipers rotors .... ect and 200sx rear disks. 280zx master and b210 booster.

My 280zx master cylinder just took a dump on me :evil: . Should I go with another 280zx master (rebuild/reman) or the 1 inch wilwood master. If you think the 280zx which company should I go with, $160 or less. As a side note for proper master sizing, the car will have 4 piston Porsche 911 calipers on it soon.

Now for the hub question, I have the 280zx spindles so to upgrade my rotor size to the z31 4 lug 274mm is all I need to do is get the hubs and rotors? Also with the z31 hubs is that going to change my wheel fitment at all. The z31 hubs and rotors would make fitting the porsche caliper easier than the 280zx but 280zx brake rotors and bearings are easier to come by.

thank for the help guys. Pete
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
kayakdude07

Re: wilwood or 280zx Master cylinders and zx or z31 hubs

Post by kayakdude07 »

I think a 1" master would be too big, I've never used one but that's what a lot of others have said. It'll turn your regular braking into leg press. :)

As for the 280zx vs z31 front hubs.... I know the 280zx hubs widen the front track a bit. I would guess around 10mm each side. If you do go for z31 hubs on zx struts you will have issues with the dust seal. Z31 and S12 stuff interchange nicely because they share the same dust seals but 280zx stuff does not share that similarity. Try a search, I am sure that info is around on here somewhere... found a tidbit.

Subject: Suspension Setups
okayfine wrote:
sexyL wrote:Also, these are 300zx struts, I don't know what year but they are 4lug, and look very similar to 280zx.
Do those not fit the 510 either?
Z31 hubs fit the 280ZX spindles and restore track width to ~510 specs. You could bring the rotors over with the hubs as well if you wanted 11" rotors. Either way you'd be making a caliper adapter.

I believe the later 200SX stuff have a different-sized balljoint recess, so that could also be the same for the Z31 bits. I haven't heard of people using the complete Z31 strut, but I haven't heard of it not fitting, either.
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gumby510 wrote:Should I go with another 280zx master (rebuild/reman) or the 1 inch wilwood master. If you think the 280zx which company should I go with, $160 or less. As a side note for proper master sizing, the car will have 4 piston Porsche 911 calipers on it soon.
As mentioned, 16/16th BMC is too big...but you have a booster and maybe you like a stiff brake pedal. As for brand, any Japanese brand is going to be your best bet, and most likelyhood of finding a new BMC as opposed to a rebuilt unit. Lastly, for your upcoming BBK, we can't help with that without you knowing the bore sizes of the calipers.

AND, if you're going that route, an off-the-shelf BMC may not be the BEST answer. If you're spending money on BBKs (and, probably, unnecessarily unless this is going to be a track beast), I'd shimmy over to Tilton and give them all your information. They'll set you up with the end-all, be-all of BMC setups. Yes, it will be expensive, but you won't have to worry about quality or piecing it together from what's available at RockAuto.
gumby510 wrote:Now for the hub question, I have the 280zx spindles so to upgrade my rotor size to the z31 4 lug 274mm is all I need to do is get the hubs and rotors? Also with the z31 hubs is that going to change my wheel fitment at all.
I did this. I had no issues with regards to fitment. I know the oil seal on the inside of the hub is supposed to be different, but I slapped the Z31 hubs on my 280ZX struts and didn't have a problem.

That said, the Z31 hub will absolutely change your wheel fitment. It's the entire reason I went with the Z31 hub. The 11" Z31 rotor was just eye candy (and overkill).

If you're making brackets for your 911 calipers anyway, just figure out how to mate the Z31 rotor to the ZX hub. They'll probably bolt together as-is, just a matter of working the details.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

Thank you okayfine as always you have the info im looking for. With the z31 hubs do they in fact bring the wheels 10mm closer to the strut tube. if that is the case ill have to get larger wheel spacers.... again

Ill drop tilton and wilwood an email and see what they say.

I actually got the 03 911 calipers for $200 and some really good streetish stoptech pads for $100. so for 400-500 ill have a pretty beefy brake setup 8)

bore size on the calipers are 30/28mm
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gumby510 wrote:With the z31 hubs do they in fact bring the wheels 10mm closer to the strut tube. if that is the case ill have to get larger wheel spacers.... again
Z31 hubs on ZX struts will push the wheels out ~3/4" per side. 280ZX piece on the left, Z31 hub on the right.:
gumby510 wrote:I actually got the 03 911 calipers for $200 and some really good streetish stoptech pads for $100. so for 400-500 ill have a pretty beefy brake setup
There is such a thing as too much brake. Keep that in mind, given how you intend to drive your 510 99% of the time.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

That might actually be perfect. I have a 18-20mm spacer up front right now. also would you still use 280zx bearings or the 300zx ones.

I know what your saying about too much brake, I know the 280zx setup would have been fine for my 220-230whp goal, but I want just a little more. If it turns out being too much I can always try pads with less bit, convert back to the 280zx or figure out some type of brake force adjuster(not likely).

thank you again
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gumby510 wrote:also would you still use 280zx bearings or the 300zx ones.
Probably use Z31 bearings in the Z31 hubs. IIRC I didn't even replace bearings when I got the hubs, so I forget. The two applications could even cross...
gumby510 wrote:I can always try pads with less bit, convert back to the 280zx or figure out some type of brake force adjuster(not likely).
My experience (in running the Z31 11" rotors and Wilwood up front and 240SX discs in back) was that for any kind of driving other than descending long, steep canyon roads, the brakes never got hot enough (too much mass in that 11" rotor for the mass of the car) to really be effective. They weren't TOO effective, but the opposite. Coming off a freeway onto the offramp, that first press of the brake pedal was never very confidence-building.

But, again, depends on how you're going to drive the car.
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

Im also going to have to assume that a 7/8 master is going to be too small for even my current set up, correct?

Ill do another test mount to see how much of a pain making the mounting bracket will be on the 280zx rotors.
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The difference between 7/8 and 15/16 BMCs often comes down to personal preferences regarding brake pedal feel. IMO 15/16 BMC with a booster works well, or 7/8 unboosted, with your current brake setup can also work well.

15/16 without a booster, even with a BBK, results in poor pedal feel. I had a stiff pedal to be sure, but it felt like braking on a 2x4. 7/8 in my case would have been better.
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

I might give 7/8 unboosted a try. Seeing as how they can be had for $60 and are much easier to get

Im also waiting on replies from tilton, arizona z car and wilwood to see what they think.
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Back when I was considering options for my BMC solution for the SR installation, Tilton had a form you filled out providing the brake system specs. They looked it over and got back to you with their recommendations.

Interesting how Wilwood is in the next city over, and Tilton is two hours away from me. Doesn't Arizona Z Car know all the brake people are in SoCal?
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

again hello, alright ive been running the 7/8 for a wile and I like it but the lower quality master I bought is starting to go (imagine that) Ive been looking at some tilton masters.

Is this a big no no or safety issue if I go with Tilton Engineering 75-875U Master Cylinder in 7/8. the reason I ask is its a single chamber instead of a tandem.
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Single chamber (brake fluid chamber) or single circuit? Big difference. Single fill chamber is NBD and how everyone does it these days. Single circuit BMC is a big safety issue and we generally advise not running something like that.
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

That's what I thought. I was talking about a single chamber master (1 output) for both front and rear circuits for the time being. Then over the winter switch to a dual master setup and a cable hand brake

NVM fixed my issue.... Just bought a tilton dual master brake pedal and 2 master cylinders and a cable handbrake
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

okayfine wrote:
gumby510 wrote:With the z31 hubs do they in fact bring the wheels 10mm closer to the strut tube. if that is the case ill have to get larger wheel spacers.... again
Z31 hubs on ZX struts will push the wheels out ~3/4" per side. 280ZX piece on the left, Z31 hub on the right.:

Reviving this old thread to ask a different question. I have 280ZX struts, and have also acquired some Z31 hubs. As these move the rotor mounting surface away from the knuckle along with the wheel mounting face, the stock caliper mounting location of course becomes untenable. I know the use of calipers such as Wilwood have been documented, My question is, has anyone utilized a spacer to move the rotor back, or identified a different rotor setup that would allow the stock caliper to be used?

Or, Z31 rotors and calipers work with the 280ZX strut with the Z31 hubs?