My Racecar's suspension ( Pictures as requested)

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Boy Blunder

My Racecar's suspension ( Pictures as requested)

Post by Boy Blunder »

This is a follow up post from my introduction to the forum. I am kind of hesitant on giving away all the cars secrets, but owell. Im sure there are better out there. This is the rear suspension as the car sits when I have just purchased it. I am in the process now of wondering what struts/coilover package I will look at replacing/upgrading to supplement the car. Since the car has sat for over 10 years, I am thinking at least a rebuild for the Koni's are in order.

On a side note.. I did find out that the front suspension is all 510.. no hybrid setup here. They are original Datsun Competition front struts/springs ( maybe on the springs) with Tokico insterts and the original 510 front brakes. This now explains my first reaction to the cars brakes when getting all the cobwebs out of the car at the last fun run autoX a couple weeks ago. I just kept reaching for those brakes!

Anyways, here are the pictures. Fire-proof suit is now on.

Spring rates? I can't give everything away now should I? I have a good idea from the original owner, but lets just say they are stiff enough.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: My Racecar's suspension ( Pictures as requested)

Post by bertvorgon »

Interesting way to do a rear coil over setup. Never seen one quite like that.

Not sure what model of Koni's they are, but, Koni's at that time did not have the best bump/rebound rate IMHO. If you decide to get them rebuilt, and they are not adjustable, try to get a 50/50 rate, as that seems to be the best rate we have found for the rear...that being said...it all depends on the rest of the "package' and your driving style.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=225

Not sure if read this thread, just gives you an idea what we were/are shooting for, at least as a discussion.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

maybe a bit off topic but that fuel container is quite interesting. i have never seen that before.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
James

Post by James »

Outboard motor tank?
Finished is better than perfect......
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Sure looks like it, but I'm still looking for the hand pump primer. haha!

It's neat to see some vintage mods, but I don't think there's too much to be worried about divulging.
Being a production class car, the rules make it so theres not much changed. But I'm impressed the shock mount was allowed, but maybe cause it doesn't effect geometry, just travel.
Which also explains the stock front stuff. Though it's likely demon tweaked too,e h?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

That is a boat tank. A buddy used one in his VW Bug Hillclimber. He relocated the tank to the passenger side floor where it was less vulnerable than the stock "in the trunk" position. Now that was back in the days when boat tanks (and some other attachments) were all made of steel.

The rear shock mounts are a typical pre-fab'd coil-over mount available thru most any circle track supplier. The rear sway bar was a common set-up on roadrace cars from years back.

The general set-up on today's performance 510's is to control rear roll with the springs (higher spring rates and no sway bar) and to use a larger front bar for overall roll control. Keep in mind that the 510 rear suspension design does not have the most favorable toe and camber characteristics when large amoiunts of suspension travel are allowed. The same goes for the front, but to a lesser degree. Generally 510's require stiffer springs than other suspension designs to limit the amounts of design induced camber/toe changes that happen during suspension travel.

Look for posts by bertvorgon and Byron510 on their car's set-ups. While both of their cars are street drivers, they are tuned more toward performance handling than ride comfort and have by the older standards extremely stiff spring rates.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Do those bars that the shock tops mount to extend through the fuel tank bulkhead?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Interesting that the car has CVs for a '70's-era build. And no battery relo?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Boy Blunder

Post by Boy Blunder »

Batter is next to the drivers seat. Weight distribution :).

And yes, that is an old outboard motor tank. You dont need much when all you do is make a 30-40 second run at a time. The roll cage/bar is a hybrid bolt in/weld in that is triangulated into the rear of the car. No extension or triangulation into the front suspension like on a full road race car.