looks like hub assembly is disconnecting from my halfshaft

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
finn
Supporter

looks like hub assembly is disconnecting from my halfshaft

Post by finn »

Wtf...
Could this be unrelated to my caliper rubbing?
Attachments
IMAG0673.jpg
IMAG0673.jpg (169.46 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
IMAG0671.jpg
IMAG0671.jpg (174.54 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Re: looks like hub assembly is disconnecting from my halfsha

Post by finn »

It just pulled straight out. :(
Attachments
IMAG0674.jpg
IMAG0674.jpg (141.73 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

The nut was there just not attached. Everything is bolted back together for now. Definitely going to change those bearings soon
Attachments
IMAG0676.jpg
IMAG0676.jpg (129.4 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Well, there's yer problem!

Typically those nuts are about as PITA to remove as there is on a 510. Was the axle nut punched to keep it from rotating? Could be that the vibrations you had from the last fun run might have been enough to loosen the works, but that's a new one.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker »

Well that's different, glad you caught it before something broke. Did you flatten the edge of the nut or use Loctite/similar anerobic locking compound?
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

okayfine wrote:Well, there's yer problem!

Typically those nuts are about as PITA to remove as there is on a 510. Was the axle nut punched to keep it from rotating? Could be that the vibrations you had from the last fun run might have been enough to loosen the works, but that's a new one.
Yeah that must have been the underlining problem. The caliper was the only thing holding the wheel on! It wasnt peened, flattened, or anything. Remarkably there wasn't even a scratch on the nut. I torqued it down but didn't have any loctite handy since I was at the base auto shop. Drove it home and it felt great, imagine that right... I'm going to Owen it here at home since I have the rest of the day off.
'69 2dr KA24DET
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

WOW!! :shock: That nut MUST BE PEENED when installed after you torque it. Use a dull chisel to make sure you get it tight against the flat part of the hub shaft. Luckily you found this the easy way....and not the hard way!! That could have been bad, really bad. Thank god you found it!!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

goichi1 wrote:WOW!! :shock: That nut MUST BE PEENED when installed after you torque it. Use a dull chisel to make sure you get it tight against the flat part of the hub shaft. Luckily you found this the easy way....and not the hard way!! That could have been bad, really bad. Thank god you found it!!
It's a good idea especially if the nut isn't torques to spec very important and you'd be surprized at how many do it yourselfers don't torque to spec as they just put a breaker bar on it then give it a heave ho and call it a day. The Z cars nut isn't peened and same torque spec. I've never peened mine and didn't to the last set I did 18 years ago. So when I recently rebuilt those same rear swing arms it made removing the nuts without F'k'n up the threads a lot easier, plus it still took all my impact had with 100ft lbs of removing torque to get those nuts off :shock: So in conclusion I'd say whoever did that nut that removed it's self didn't torque them to spec.

Lou
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

You might want to look at the other side .... cuz you might not be as luckey and lose a wheel .......
Yikes :shock:
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Im going to. I was going to remove it, and some loctite, and retorque it. Or torque it i should say...
'69 2dr KA24DET