Tension rods

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Tension rods

Post by okayfine »

It is hard to tell. I never gave it a second thought. But I've also always replaced the stock rubber setup with one rubber bushing and the EE T/C kit.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

I went down to Merlins and had a look at one of his stock 510s
The washers are configured with the cups out...top arrangement in pic

He also had a set of rods with no kinks/bends in them.
Which makes me conclude that there were 2 versions...?...maybe has something to do with the LCAs being mounted on the cross member in a different position relative to year?
No clue....just a guess..... :)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

FWIW the '68/'69 sedan used a different part number for the tension rods than '70 and on sedans. All wagons used the later number.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I wonder what the difference is? Maybe more castor, that would be good.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sealik wrote:The washers are configured with the cups out.
The more you know...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Counterintuitive for sure. What would be the point of manufacturing those washers in cupped form if the cup-part didn't touch anything but air?

Maybe there's some other kind of logic there that I'm not seeing. But my guess would be what you earlier said: that somebody put them on backwards even on Merlin's "stock" 510.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

SteveEdmonton wrote:Counterintuitive for sure. What would be the point of manufacturing those washers in cupped form if the cup-part didn't touch anything but air?

Maybe there's some other kind of logic there that I'm not seeing. But my guess would be what you earlier said: that somebody put them on backwards even on Merlin's "stock" 510.

The rod has to swing down and up. Inward facing cup would support the rubber too well. Outward facing cup would work better I think.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

datzenmike wrote:
SteveEdmonton wrote:Counterintuitive for sure. What would be the point of manufacturing those washers in cupped form if the cup-part didn't touch anything but air?

The rod has to swing down and up. Inward facing cup would support the rubber too well. Outward facing cup would work better I think.

Correct....and once you torque the nut to 69lbs the washer and new bushing conform very well
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Ahh, I think you guys have it. Good logic.

During the night I remembered too that we've got those really strange cupped washers that secure the X-member to the body, the ones that can be flipped around to make "savage washers." They're even more concave, and in contact with nothing but air. Are they supposed to give some sort of protection to the nut they contain, and to the mount itself, in case this area gets smacked on a rock or something?

Anyway, that's a different case completely, I guess. This one at least makes sense, as you've now explained it.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata