Rear shocks for lowered springs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
J.T.L.
Supporter

Rear shocks for lowered springs

Post by J.T.L. »

I have the ST Suspension lowered spring set that is supposed to lower the car ~1.4 inches or something like that.

I forget where I read this, but at some point I read that for a lowered rear suspension you should use the ~1980 RX-7 rear shocks instead of the 510 rear shocks. Not sure if that is correct, or maybe I don't remember correctly? Any advice is appreciated on which shocks are best for these springs.

Just to fill in the story, I put together a set of short struts with the lowered springs and Tokico Illumina shocks, with spacers, in the front. So I'll be going with the Illuminas in the back also, just not sure which ones to order.

Thanks in advance,
J.T.
72 PL510 4door Blue#645/White "Ellie"
72 PL510 2door BambooTan/White
butters68
Supporter

Re: Rear shocks for lowered springs

Post by butters68 »

i'm in the same spot right now too.just got the front done, doing the rear lowering spring today. iv'e seen on here somewere that 80's camaro rear shocks will work also.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The shocks used in this article were shorter:

DQ Volume 10 Issue 4 - Tech How-To: Koni Sport Shock Installation — After assessing the handling of his 510, Ted Hedman researched and installed a pair of Koni yellows. He compares the Koni Sport shocks to Tokico Illuminas and shows the steps necessary to (simply) modify the shocks for installation in a 510.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

well guess i need to dig that issue out of my desk and start reading. 8)
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

ok so the info i got from dq 10-4 issue looks like the way i'm going to go.
mustang [87 to 93] p/n 8041-1026sport yellow.
I ordered from LTBautosports.com on sale $99 bucks and change for 1.
J.T.L.
Supporter

Post by J.T.L. »

Thanks, I found and read the article in 10.4. Question I have is, can you buy the 510 lower shock bushing separately? Otherwise I'd have to either 1)buy 2 sets of shocks, using only the bottom bushing out of the one pair, or 2)find a buddy who both needs new shocks and wants to lift his Mustang by 2".

The shocks I already have are either too old to have any re-usable parts or too new/too nice condition to cannibalize for parts.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's a good question. I've never replaced them. The Nissan p/n is 56119-32201. They come up as available online, but I'd check with Chad at Chico Nissan. ~$2 a piece.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

okayfine wrote:That's a good question. I've never replaced them. The Nissan p/n is 56119-32201. They come up as available online, but I'd check with Chad at Chico Nissan. ~$2 a piece.

Changes to 56119-V6000 $2.78 ea. Readily available from Nissan.
---Yeah, I said what I said.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

so the koni sport 's i ordered from ltb autosports fell through, they refunded my money. they didnt have the shocks . so i'll have to look else were. :(
J.T.L.
Supporter

Post by J.T.L. »

Chadsinto510s wrote: Changes to 56119-V6000 $2.78 ea. Readily available from Nissan.
Thanks for the info! I was frantically going through the 'what's left to buy' list with the SPEC 510 meet coming up. Decided not to rush it, so I might wait till I get the engine in and see where the front height ends up then choose what to buy for the rear to level it up. I actually thought it was an ok ride height just with heated front springs (compressed by 1 - 1 1/2 coils) and Tokico blues holding up the rear over saggy stock springs - although it made for interesting handling.