Throwing out all hard brake lines, need advice please!

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
KoHeartsGPA

Throwing out all hard brake lines, need advice please!

Post by KoHeartsGPA » 28 Aug 2013 11:26

So this car was sitting since 93', rust inside the master cylinder and some rust in tip of hard lines made it a no brainer decision that its best to replace it all, my dad used to build race cars in Argentina in the 70's and they installed flexible Teflon lines, question, where can I find a vendor here?, maybe an auto parts store?, Google search really didn't help much and I rather ask you folks.

Thank you!
Diego.

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Throwing out all hard brake lines, need advice please!

Post by okayfine » 28 Aug 2013 11:42

Find a vendor for what? Other than the flex lines, there isn't anyone who makes a full brake line kit for the 510, much less one made of "Teflon" lines.

If you're looking for the easy way out in regard to brakes, I'd suggest you stop right there. Secondly, for however much less the braided stainless lines flex/enlarge under pressure compared to rubber lines, they do flex/enlarge noticeably over steel hard lines. You're going to feel that in the pedal, as if you could never get all the air out of the lines.

Get friendly with some tube, a bender, and a good double flare tool.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA » 28 Aug 2013 11:51

Excellent points, ya I do have a bender for the hard lines, I was just exploring ideas, thank you :-)
Diego.

KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA » 28 Aug 2013 12:06

I just watched a video on youtube and looks simple and something I can definitely tackle, I have the tool set he's using, looking forward to getting started on it this weekend.
Diego.

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 28 Aug 2013 12:21

Use this line; easy to bend, will never rust/corrode, very well-sealing, OEM's are using it. Copper-nickle alloy, the brand name is cunnifer, from these guys.

http://fedhillusa.com/

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 28 Aug 2013 12:22

The bending is pretty straight forward. Making acceptable double flares is where the talent lies.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 28 Aug 2013 12:51

The softness of the copper-nickle alloy makes easy work of flaring, with none of the checking or cracking that you sometimes get with carbon steel or stainless. It's very easy to work with. I'm sounding like a company rep. or something, sorry.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 28 Aug 2013 14:11

S15DET wrote:I'm sounding like a company rep. or something, sorry.
Don't be. That's why we're here, to learn.

KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA » 28 Aug 2013 15:29

Good stuff! Thank you!
Diego.

SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton » 15 Sep 2013 20:11

I'm a bit late chiming in... but as it happens I've been back-and-forth with Automec, a company in England that makes cunifer brake line sets for MGs. I have a set of their pre-formed pipes on my MGB-GT-- the longer ones came coiled up so they'd fit in a box, but the material is so malleable you just straighten them out, put the bends in where you need them, and away you go. I've had them on my B for 5 years now and am totally happy with them.

Anyway, I inquired about a set for the 510. Automec said they didn't have one... but would like to make one available! So I measured up my old steel lines, sent them the info, and the "prototype" kit for left-hand drive models arrived just last week. I installed the first three lines today and they're exactly right.

This time though I'm using a little 3/16 pipe bender that Automec also sells for something like $15. It works really slick and will put in a remarkably small-radius 90 degree bend without distorting the line. I'll put up some pics in a couple of days after I've had a chance to take some.

I was going to hold off on mentioning this at all until I got the whole set installed, but since this thread is already here, and my initial experience with this kit is positive, I figure-- why not share the good news?

The Automec website is here: http://www.automec.co.uk/. On the tab for "brake piping," then "sets," you'll see that they only list MG stuff (lots and lots of varieties). However, if you drop an email to Nicki, the customer service manager, I'm sure she'll be able to help you with the 510 set as well: info@automec.co.uk.

Not sure on the price, but I imagine they'll be in line with their MGB sets, that is, maybe 100 pounds?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten » 16 Sep 2013 09:52

I started reworking the rear lines on my 510 street car using cunifer tubing from Fedhill. Very easy to work and easy to flare (well, I had help on that).

Byron posted that he uses a Mastercool flaring tool. This is a hand held hydraulic unit. I looked them and had to buy one, model 71745. Not cheap, but simple to use and very effective at making correct double flares the first time. Once you have the tool set-up it takes no time to make a perfect double flare.

Video showing use of the tool (pretty grainy).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJKA_Gm9Ks
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 16 Sep 2013 21:34

Dave Patten wrote:I started reworking the rear lines on my 510 street car using cunifer tubing from Fedhill. Very easy to work and easy to flare (well, I had help on that).

Byron posted that he uses a Mastercool flaring tool. This is a hand held hydraulic unit. I looked them and had to buy one, model 71745. Not cheap, but simple to use and very effective at making correct double flares the first time. Once you have the tool set-up it takes no time to make a perfect double flare.

Video showing use of the tool (pretty grainy).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJKA_Gm9Ks

I was put onto this tool by Rich (gochi). It's one of those tools that just simply works, and works well - every time. No messing around. It was pricey, but not when you factor in your time with cheap tools.

Now you guys are talking of nice, malleable material which might suit the use of cheaper flaring tools, but the quality of the flares that the Mastercool tool does is hard to match - it's that good. I can't say enough about it - obviously.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.