Source for Rear Coilovers?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Source for Rear Coilovers?

Post by 2DoorJim »

I'm new here and have a couple questions, hoping someone can give a little direction. I've been looking around and don't see a source for direct fit rear coilovers for a 510. Any suppliers? Otherwise I guess I could order components through one of the shock suppliers.

I searched and read that structural failures don't seem to be an issue, generally, but this was mostly in relation to the trailing arm. What about the mount in chassis? No real mention of failures so I presume I'm OK to go without reinforcement.

Application will be street mostly, small component of track use. I want coilovers in order to adjust ride height and set corner balance. I'm actually completely clued out on spring rate at this time. I think the current rears in my car are 900 but I don't know what the ratio is at the shock pick up so I could use a little advice here too.

TIA!

Jim
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Source for Rear Coilovers?

Post by okayfine »

Motion ratio is ~3.8:1 for the stock rear suspension, with the spring inboard. With coilovers, I don't know that anyone's really using a motion ratio other than 1:1. It's not going to be exactly 1:1 since the spring is leaned over a bit, but it's probably close enough for government work.

Ground Control sells rear C/Os. Techno Toy Tuning resells G/C stuff, I believe. Troy Ermish also sells C/O setups. Up in Canada, you could contact Specialty Engineering and if they don't have an off-the-shelf piece, they could work one up or point you in the right direction.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Thanks for the feedback and suppliers names OKAYFINE. I'll check them out. Most certain they will know what rate springs to sell me with the coil overs.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

They'll have a standard rate they'll ship, but if you want something in particular, now is the time to decide so you don't have to buy a second set of springs.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson