control arm mono-balls

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
68 Wagon

control arm mono-balls

Post by 68 Wagon »

Any reason we can't use high misalignment mono-balls like the ones available from UB Machine in our rear control arms whilst lowering our cars? I plan on using Byron's rear kit when I do this.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
S15DET
Supporter

Re: control arm mono-balls

Post by S15DET »

No reason, spherical bearings are commonly used at suspension pivot points. Search for opinions on the increased NVH, same feel it's
not bad, others say it's not streetable. Check out these RX-7 bushed-bearings for a unique option...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... g&start=15
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I've found the additional NVH induced from hiem joint or rod end joints or bearings on their own do not add excessive amounts on their own. But when seeking take the rubber out of the front suspension (camber plates and TC kits), and remove the rubber isolation from the rear (above the springs and solid mount the cross member ), it all starts to add up.

However the advantages of using monoball bushes in the rear suspension are so many, that I would certainly encourage anyone wanting good handling to do this modification on its own. Not only does it stop the binding designed into our suspension system, it takes a good portion of that rear steer tenancy out of the system as well. A very worthwhile mod for any 510, whether utilizing an adjustable system or not.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

Thanks for the link S15DET and thanks Byron for your input. I will do it and let you guys know how it went.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!