Tire talk; Skinny tires, Medium tires, Fat tires

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Tire talk; Skinny tires, Medium tires, Fat tires

Post by DADZSUN »

StrutlessWonder wrote:BTW: Did you test fit to see if the center hole clears the 510 frt hub/dustcap? Make sure the wheel fits the rears as well.
I'd bet it may need to be machined larger to clear--at least, that was my experience.
And the supply of 14" performance tires is dropping all the time.
Sometimes cheap is not really as cheap as it seems in the end.
Nope, never got the wheels. Like you said, cheap is not really cheap - especially if I've got to swap wheel studs and purchase new shanked AND tapered nuts to fit the Celica Solo2 rims and Watanabe street rims.

As per Andrew's suggestion, I've moved on to researching the option of running F1600 road race tires on my 13x5.5" slots (Hoosier R25B 20.5 x 6.0-13 C2500). Cheap used rubber is hard to ignore... The question is how much better is road race compound than modern UHP tires? Can the heavier 510 work the tire quick enough to generate useful heat/traction during a Solo2 run?

As for 14" performance rubber, now that Dunlop Star Spec Z1 195/60R14 is no longer in production, the only real option IMO is the Azenis 615K 195/60R14. $345 shipped from Vulcan tire (discount on check-out) which is a pretty killer deal. It's a GREAT tire for the street and for Solo2 is a competitive tire, but I do find it heats up easily then gets greasy.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
Boy Blunder

Re: Tire talk; Skinny tires, Medium tires, Fat tires

Post by Boy Blunder »

I run 20x9.5x13 Goodyear Cantilevered slicks on 13x7 Libres with I believe a 4 inch backspace.
The tires will barely rub at full lock. I will plan on going to a 9 inch wide tire next time.

And yes, you can own R compound tires for cheap.

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

Very good guy and company to do business with. He is also on bookface and has regular updates of whats fresh. Avons, Hoosiers, Yokos.. etc.