shortening 280zx struts

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
68 Wagon

shortening 280zx struts

Post by 68 Wagon »

I've been playing with my ride height and finally found where the front suspension just barely bottoms out with the stock 280zx strut and a stock zx SensaTrac insert. I have some HZ3100 Tokico blues that are about an inch shorter and much stiffer too so decided to make up a fixture that would allow me to shorten the tubes in the lathe. I practiced on a spare strut I had, then today did the drivers side. While I had everything apart I checked and found the Ground Control threaded sleeve loose on the tube. I used some 2 inch Gorilla tape, just a little more than a turn, on the top and bottom areas and got a nice snug fit. Using a thin disc on the angle grinder I made a flat on the spindle side of the perch washer; I wasn't paying attention when I first installed the coil overs and had placed the flat way off kilter on both struts. I'll do the same to the other side thus giving me as much clearance as possible between the wheel/tire. I'm running 280zx turbo snowflakes 15x6 +12mm offset and with this mod and just eyeballing the clearance I'd guess 5/8 inch. I've been looking at the VTO wheels from Futofab and the +24mm would tuck a little better and still clear the strut tube/coil overs. Sure doesn't get any better than working on the Datsuns out in the shop. :D
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!