Pre-Bent Brake Lines for 510?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: Pre-Bent Brake Lines for 510?

Postby Dave Patten » 05 Aug 2014 14:13

I used Cunifer tubing to re-plumb the rear brake lines on my hillclimb car (eventually I'll do all of them).

Yes it works easily, but it will work harden and get noticeably stiffer if you need to do multiple manipulations to make it fit correctly.

And before I started in on this I bought a Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool (totally Byron's fault) and I can officially say, that tool is THE BALLS!
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

McWicked
Supporter

Postby McWicked » 05 Aug 2014 16:46

The only thing I never liked about bending my own lines wasn't the bending part... it was getting the stupid things straight! The radius look good, but the straight sections looked all wavy-gravy. Thankfully, we have a tubing straightener at work. So when it comes time to slap new lines in my 510 they should come out all nice and purdy.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

KoHeartsGPA

Postby KoHeartsGPA » 05 Aug 2014 17:29

McWicked wrote:The only thing I never liked about bending my own lines wasn't the bending part... it was getting the stupid things straight! The radius look good, but the straight sections looked all wavy-gravy. Thankfully, we have a tubing straightener at work. So when it comes time to slap new lines in my 510 they should come out all nice and purdy.

-McWicked

I agree, hard to keep that straight line, especially the section from the engine bay to rear axle, but you know what, I'm going to use that as motivation to keep all four wheels on the ground :P
Diego.

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 05 Aug 2014 23:25

You know, as low tech as it seems, this method works great even on steel brake line.
If you saw the work I did on the Greg Terry build, I strained that 25' coiled tube in the exact manner shone here. Only difference was in didn't use a player or vice grip; with one end of the tube clamped in a solid vice I wrapped the other end of the tube around a bar and just pulled the tube strait with a shock pulling the action similar to this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvGEKaaPf5E

I owe the technique to a gauge mechanic I worked with in the navy shipyard in my youth.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Button

Postby Button » 05 Aug 2014 23:55

Hhahaha. That was amazing Byron, I can not believe that actually works. Thanks for the tip, you truly do learn something new every day.

KoHeartsGPA

Postby KoHeartsGPA » 06 Aug 2014 00:28

Hello!!!, that was impressive, Byron!

Now I know for next time I do brake lines ;-)
Diego.

Cmac

Postby Cmac » 10 Aug 2014 07:39

Hose and Fitting will also pre bend any brake lines for you. If you have the original or set of drawings they can make it. I was in there of friday and they had a 1 1/2 stainless line bent up for something. They also have DOT approved flex lines

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com

Return to “Suspension”