Apexi Integra Coilovers

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Ilovetacos

Apexi Integra Coilovers

Postby Ilovetacos » 28 Apr 2014 22:12

Has anyone tried this setup on their 510? I used a similar setup with my previous 510 with an L16. These are going on my SR20det swapped 510. No welding or grinding required. Strut assembly is from a 280zx and have had the coilovers just laying around for the last couple of years. Only planning on using my ride for street use.
Thoughts?
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (41.19 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (27.41 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Apexi Integra Coilovers

Postby okayfine » 29 Apr 2014 02:53

That bolt goes through the strut tube? Does that black sleeve locate the adjuster sleeve? Were your previous set noisy?

Coilovers are just adjusters and springs, doesn't really matter the original app as long as they fit, which these appear to do.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 29 Apr 2014 09:04

It would be nice if you could have left the sleeve a little longer to give the shock body more support. It looks like all the stress would be put on just the lower few inches.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson

Ilovetacos

Postby Ilovetacos » 29 Apr 2014 09:32

The bolt goes through the strut sleeve as well as the mounting hole at the bottom of the coilover. There was zero noise coming from the previous setup although I had left more of the strut sleeve on my previous setup. The diameter of the sleeve on a 280zx compared to the sleeve on a 510 is slightly smaller due to the thickness of the steel. In addition the coilovers have a small lip about 2.5 inches up where it gets wider.
Attachments
photo 3.jpg
photo 3.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

zKars
Supporter

Postby zKars » 29 Apr 2014 11:35

I'm gettin' the willies over this one.

Pure tensile/compressive strength along the strut long axis (up/down) is probably enough, but the bending forces are not well constrained.
That one bolt makes a pretty nice hinge to me and I don't think you want a hinge right there.

MAYBE if that 4-5" section of black pipe were welded (properly) to the spindle, and it were about twice as long.... and/or twice the OD....

I'd be wanting an opinion of a real race car suspension designer and or engineer before I'd go canyon carving...

Ilovetacos

Postby Ilovetacos » 29 Apr 2014 11:51

The black pipe is the original zx sleeve just cut shorter and cleaned (still factory welded to spindle). I'm considering using 4 inches of the stock 510 sleeve and welding it to the zx strut as reinforcement.

Dave Patten
Supporter

Postby Dave Patten » 29 Apr 2014 13:18

I have never been a fan of using a shock in a strut application.

The shaft in a strut application is not just loaded axially (bump/rebound), but is loaded horizontally as well. At rest a suspension system with any amount of scrub radius will place a bending side load on the strut. And when cornering it is amplified to much greater loads.

Shocks are designed to work against pure axial loading, they are not designed to resist any side loading on the shaft.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 29 Apr 2014 18:41

I'm with the guys above. You may have had success (in that it didn't fail) with that setup previously, but I don't like anything about it. There have been a few guys have have converted the 240SX struts to the 510 using the SX aftermarket coilovers that adjust separately for height and preload.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

JordanTr

Postby JordanTr » 29 Apr 2014 19:02

Speaking with one of the Megan techs I was told that the Honda/Acura shocks are not designed to deal with rotation either.

FWIW all height/preload adjustable coilovers for AE86 use a threaded sleeve welded onto the strut tube. The 510 guys that have done it are not odd ducks or the only test dummies. Megan leaves 40mm above the cast spindle to take up the shear load in the joint. I would not have qualms with welding it, however, I would if it were bolted.
Jordan | '72 2 door KA project | '94 240sx RB26DETT | '97 Silvia RB25DET | '90 Audi 90 Quattro 20V (DD)

Ilovetacos

Postby Ilovetacos » 29 Apr 2014 19:35

Figured this setup might be too easy. Meh, I've got plenty of time to start working on a different setup. Thank you all for the input.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 30 Apr 2014 03:59

Search out the other 240SX coilover swap. It might be on Ratsun.

Return to “Suspension”