Dumb adjustment question

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
S15DET
Supporter

Dumb adjustment question

Post by S15DET »

On on the alignment rack, I determined that if I adjust the camber plate XXmm that I need to compensate for toe be turning the tie-rod YY turns. Problem is I don't remember CCW or CW? So, if I increase negative camber only, will it cause a toe in or a toe out movement? Or worded another way, is the outer tie-rod ball center higher or lower than the ball joint?
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Dumb adjustment question

Post by datzenmike »

Well lets see. The steering is behind the strut center line. As the steering tie rods can't move the only way for the strut to lean inward at the top is if the front of the tire turns in. The amount may be very small. Turn the adjustment one way. If it turns in, turn the other way.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
S15DET
Supporter

Re: Dumb adjustment question

Post by S15DET »

the outer tie rod end and the ball joint appear to be perfectly level which would mean there would be no toe change as you adjust camber at the upper strut mount. However on the alignment rack there was a slight toe change, so the outer tie rod end must be very slightly higher or lower then the ball joint. If it is higher, then as the strut tilts inward then I agree that the toel would go inward. But I seem to remember being puzzled because it appeared to move the opposite direction from what I was expecting. I'm using stock outer tie rod end, steering arm and ball joint. Im track-side today so no easy way to measure it so thats why im asking.