New 7/8" Master Cylinder clogged?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
JLsKA

New 7/8" Master Cylinder clogged?

Postby JLsKA » 19 Jul 2014 20:25

Guys,
I was finally in the home stretch of completing my all-disc brake conversion… I had finished bleeding the rears then discovered the fluid is the reservoir for the fronts was not moving through the system. I loosened the bleeder valve at the MC and nothing came out. I extracted the fluid and tried blowing air through both the bleed valve and the reservoir hole but it looks like the channel to the MC is blocked?
Anyone else had this experience?
Is there anything else worth trying?

Thanks, James

okayfine
Supporter

Re: New 7/8" Master Cylinder clogged?

Postby okayfine » 20 Jul 2014 08:12

NEW master, or rebuilt? If the latter, common wisdom has been to pull it apart and clean it out before running fluid through it. Rebuilds tend to skimp on steps, including cleaning out all the debris from a hone, etc.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

JLsKA

Postby JLsKA » 20 Jul 2014 12:51

It's a new Beck & Arnley part… I assumed it would work, right out of the box.
I'll see if the channel can be cleared using a wire. Not looking forward to removing the MC, though.
Thanks

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Postby Three B's Racing » 21 Jul 2014 06:04

JLsKA wrote:It's a new Beck & Arnley part… I assumed it would work, right out of the box.
I'll see if the channel can be cleared using a wire. Not looking forward to removing the MC, though.
Thanks

New??? take it back. Is the fluid black? Because I've seen some "New" MC where within a couple weeks the fluid turned black from rubber deteriation from cheap rebuild parts. If your intent on just taking it apart get a rebuild kit and check the bore making sure it isn't scored up.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Postby Three B's Racing » 21 Jul 2014 06:06

okayfine wrote:NEW master, or rebuilt? If the latter, common wisdom has been to pull it apart and clean it out before running fluid through it. Rebuilds tend to skimp on steps, including cleaning out all the debris from a hone, etc.

From a hone? are they steel sleeved?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Return to “Suspension”