T3 280ZX coils and 280ZX hub problem

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
JDMonster
Supporter

T3 280ZX coils and 280ZX hub problem

Post by JDMonster »

I've run this setup on all my 510's and for some reason this time the hub inner bearing doesn't fit all the way onto the spindle. Has anyone seen this or had a similar problem?

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: T3 280ZX coils and 280ZX hub problem

Post by datzenmike »

The zx spindle has larger bearings than the 510. So you must have a 510 bearing.

Bearing diameters
510...... 26 X 17.5mm
280zx... 31.75 X 19mm
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I've not experienced that before. Did the bearing come off another ZX strut? Or is it a new bearing? If new, it's possible it is a misbox, or a lower-grade bearing with a crap ID tolerance.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JDMonster
Supporter

Post by JDMonster »

Any recommendations on where to look for bearings?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The inner 280zx front wheel bearing is... #40210-A0100 about $25

The outer 280zx front wheel bearing is... #40215-A0100 about $40

The inner bearing is used on all Z cars up to and including the 300zx, the B-210, 610, 710, A10, S10, S110 and S12, 810/Maxima. Pretty near everything after the 510 and the trucks.

Outer bearing same as above but also Pulsar NX, Sentra, Stanza rear axle
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Japanese, or German (SKF) if they make 'em. RockAuto usually has a selection, but they're not the only place.

Might also OD your spindle stub to verify versus a ZX bearing ID.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Trophy24

Post by Trophy24 »

Looks like the powder coating was applied to the grease seal and bearing race area of the strut. Try removing it. The bearing may slide right on.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

For what it my best worth, I recently installed a set of SKF wheel bearings on the front of my car. I noted that on one the spindles, it was difficult to install the hub. In my case, I think I had cleaned both surfaces too well, and the bearing actually cocked sideways ever so slightly not allowing it to slide on.
Check both parts for imperfections, especially the spindle. These are bearing seats,and as such do have quite close tolerances as they need to be.I would suspect that your spindle itself has a flaw. If the bearing is of good quality (SKF, FAG, NSK, ect), it is highly improbable that there is a bearing fault. As a machinist I have never seen a flawed bear. Not saying it can't happen, but quite honestly good quality bearings have so many quality controls in place that it's often joked that in the machinist realm, you can set your mics to the bearings!
However, outside that world known bearing manufacturers, all bets are off. I don't know if China is making bearings for this application, but as with anything made in China - it needs to met with some watchful suspicion in terms of quality because it generally isn't there today. I'm not being judgmental, I'm just saying as it is. 50 years ago we said the same of Japanese products on the industrial level, we'll eat those words today though. Just look at our 510's ;-)

Anyways, hope you find the solution and that the problem is simple to solve.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.