Camber Plates above the surface of the strut tower.

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Camber Plates above the surface of the strut tower.

Post by Mattndew76 »

Guys I have been exploring ways to get a wider range of angular adjustment into a camber plate system but I have noticed on many systems available that do this it requires you cut up the top of the tower. I want to make one that requires zero cutting.

Guys who know more about this please feel free to pick this apart as I go.

I want raise the camber slide 1" to 2" above the tower. Essentially creating a new top. In order to do this with a stock strut assembly I would have to preload the 1" gain into the compression of the spring, but not the strut. This creates an air gap between the spring hat and Camber sphere bushing. That gap allows for no interference and more angle to adjust into.

On Adjustable spring tension coil over what I said above has no purpose because the bottom can be adjusted out, but the extra angles are available.

This would also lower the car without affecting strut travel. Unless its a stock assembly the spring lost an inch.

If this sounds confusing I can post a visual if needed :D We all like pictures.

Here is a cut away of the upper camber plate.
Attachments
1200-CP.JPG
1200-CP.JPG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
S15DET
Supporter

Re: Camber Plates above the surface of the strut tower.

Post by S15DET »

Great idea!! We'll need to remember that the spring will need to be able to rotate on something for steering. With a conventional set-up, the spring seat rotates on a needle roller bearing just under the spherical bearing. In a two-piece approach, we'll have to come up with a new spring seat and bearing, and a way to locate it so the bearing doesn't walk since during travel the spring doesn't remain perpendicular to the seat. Make any sense?

I suppose that this part will be bolted to the strut tower using the original mounting holes, with the three bolts in tension?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Under hood clearance?

Side to side adjustment is limited by the spring hitting the side of the strut tower. My stock 710 spring is all the way over.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Yep, mine are positioned so that the spring is nearly touching the back wall of the strut tower. I believe there is a bit of unused underhood clearance, have you checked this yet mattndew?
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I am only able to check hood clearance on the 1200 Coupe. Seems the 510 camber plate it have has the same bolt pattern.

Lots of room on the 1200 between the hood and tower.

I was wondering if the spring and spring hat would be too close to the tower walls. I curious if it's the same for the narrower after market sleeves and spring?

Lots of things to keep poking through. I will make some rough assembly's for us to cogetate over later.

Matt D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mattndew76 wrote:I curious if it's the same for the narrower after market sleeves and spring?
Lots more room in that situation. 5" OD down to 2.5" OD.

Any of us can give you a 510 measurement, let us know.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

So these plates and assembly may have to be for the modified strut assembly's or after market gear.

So what I need for distance measured is from the highest point on the engine bay strut tower to closed hood above it.
Oh and someone who wants to try these on and slide them around, take good feed back notes ect. :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Since I'm currently editing and reformatting a document that's gone through the legal department AND the human resources department, I'll gladly go and measure... :shock:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I will be send items to you as they are machined too.

I will need to design the new spring hat with your help too.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Using the flour+water+bag=squishable method:
IMG_6051.jpg
IMG_6051.jpg (144.54 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
I get the following measurements. Both are measured perpendicular from the "front" and "rear" of the outside pair strut mounting bolts, measured at the highest point of the strut tower. This highest point is outside of the strut mount triangle.

Front (towards front of car) clearance - 1"
Rear clearance - 1.375"

Let me know if I need to measure a different way, or provide more measurements from what I have.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

FYI, While I am running DIY coilovers, I'm using the stock (cut down ZX) top hat/isolator.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Ok so we have a slight drafted angle.

So that means the hat has to be slightly less than 1" OAH.

This idea may be dead in the pond and we discovered what may have already been discovered. If i went with what would be an extra .625" above the surface of the tower we really aren't gaining any degrees of angle and just a -.625" ride height.

......Yep after looking at a rough assembly we are just picking up a lower stance without losing strut travel.

Ah turds..... We just made a lowing kit with camber adjustable range of a regular camber kit :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Maybe. But lots of guys want the low-low ride without the necessary skill to shorten struts. An extra .625 is nothing to sneeze at. Whether there's a big enough market to make it worth it on that goal alone...well, probably not, but it's not without use.

Also, the measurements I took were at the highest point of the strut tower. There's probably 3/16"+ more clearance if you measure at the center of the outside pair of strut bolts. Strut tower is at an angle, and it angles down from the highest point. Probably not enough space to give you anything to work with. Definitely not 2" of space there to be had.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

This stuff will always be fun.

Its not much more to produce a camber hat like this.. 1" material 6" x 6" is 10$ or 12$. Simple machine profiles...

Does a stock spring hat have .625" of room above it to lose?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I don't recall the measurements of the stock top hat. They are very thick, so I could well imagine there's .625" to lose. I'll go look in my pile to see if I saved the stockers (I switched to ZX since they lower the car .5" or so with no sacrifice).