Camber Plates above the surface of the strut tower.

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Camber Plates above the surface of the strut tower.

Post by okayfine »

Have. What do you need measured:
IMG_6052.jpg
IMG_6052.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I guess does the assembly have .625" to spare if moved up?

I will work this out on the 1200 coupe. Assembly looks similar to the 510
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm not sure how you're going to move it up, so I don't know what to measure to see. The main difference between the taller 510 part vs. the shorter ZX part is that the ZX has a shorter strut bearing/rubber isolator. I definitely don't have a ZX bearing assembly to measure, but I would not be surprised if it fit in the 510 top hat; if so, then it would just be a matter of making the 510 part to accept the ZX bearing.

Which kind of sounds like just using the ZX parts, but I dunno.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I'm lacking the articulation portion of me brain today. :D

When I say move up I am trying to describe how making the Camber plate the top of the strut tower. Making the old top just a interference point.

Hope my illustration helps lol.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (561.98 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The top of the center cone of the stock 510 top had does not protrude above the larger-diameter spring seat, so there isn't anything there to remove such as shown in the illustration above. Everything there is to remove is below the top of the spring seat.

There's easily .625" to remove from the bottom of the 510 top hat, provided you have another solution for a strut bearing/isolator. Alternatively, you could probably push the stock strut bearing mount upwards through the hole in the strut tower (by way of a new top hat), and so use the stock 510 strut bearing.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Excellent!! You answered my very indirect question perfectly.

Isolator solutions are very easy to make :D
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Just to chime in on this, I briefly ran camber plates with stock diameter springs before I went to coilovers. I found that there was very little adjustment available before the spring hit the strut tower. It would seem to me that anybody considering camber plates for their car should include coilovers to go along with them. Just my .02. I like seeing guys thinking outside the box like this. It helps get my brain working in different ways as well.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Duke its a good 2 cents.

I am noticing even on my 1200 These would be good for just allowing a bit of angular movement along with lowering. Although the 1200 seems to allow much more distance between hood and strut tower.

I agree that its probably best suited to have some adjustable coil overs to go along with camber adjustment plates.

I could make these as just a isolater too with no adjustment, only meant to lower the car by .625"
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

okayfine wrote:I'm not sure how you're going to move it up, so I don't know what to measure to see. The main difference between the taller 510 part vs. the shorter ZX part is that the ZX has a shorter strut bearing/rubber isolator. I definitely don't have a ZX bearing assembly to measure, but I would not be surprised if it fit in the 510 top hat; if so, then it would just be a matter of making the 510 part to accept the ZX bearing. Which kind of sounds like just using the ZX parts, but I dunno.
I'm running the ZX isolators also Jules with stock 510 bearings. So I guess that means the ZX bearings will work fine.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon