280ZX Strut Question.

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Rush
Supporter

280ZX Strut Question.

Post by Rush »

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in classifieds (since I haven't decided to buy yet), but can someone tell me what I can expect to pay for a 280zx strut setup for my 510? I've looked on eBay, etc, but it's not really clear since I haven't found a listing that says what's included. Not only that, I don't know all the pieces I will need yet.

I know this poor horse has been beaten to mush, so I'm not going to going to ask specific questions about the conversion until I do some more research.

I don't plan on auto crossing my car, or racing or anything like that. I mainly want it to be safe for the slightly modified L16 and to accommodate the 15x7 rims I'm hoping to buy. I'm just trying to make a decision whether I want (or need) to go this route or not.

Thanks guys.

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 280ZX Strut Question.

Post by datzenmike »

In reality all you need from the zx strut is the strut tube and contents, the caliper, the rotor and the hub. You don't need the heavy too large spring or the top hat for it. $50 a side would be a not too bad price considering you will likely need to replace the rotor and possibly the caliper. $100 a side for a good caliper and rotor equipped zx strut would also be fair.

Have you looked at the '81-'84 Maxima struts? Based on the zx platform: so had large caliper and vented rotors that are just a mm or two smaller than the zx ones? Less popular so may be more around and cheaper? Also used a 15/16" master.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ZX strut swap is probably the most documented and most performed 510 modification, so it's all out there. There are reasons for the ZX swap, including: the larger, vented brakes; larger wheel bearings (important when moving to larger, stickier rubber, or track work); supported brake parts and strut inserts.

For a mild L16 in a street 510, the stock brakes will be fine. There are any number of (mostly old) brake swaps onto stock 510 struts, including a BBK from Futo Fab. That said, these days you're probably better off moving to the ZX stuff even if you don't need or want the bigger brakes, just to have ability to get rebuild kits and strut inserts, especially if your stock parts need replacing anyway. 510 stuff is drying up.

FWIW, the 15/16ths BMC used on the ZX and Maxima will make for a dead brake pedal (BTDT), since in those cars that size BMC was used with a power booster. 13/16 and 7/8 BMCs are available in the Nissan playhouse, should you upgrade and choose a different route.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Fantastic! That points me in the right direction for the research. I wasn't aware of the Maxima fit, so that opens up some options, as well.

Thanks guys.