Front Suspension Issue HELP

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
S15DET
Supporter

Re: Front Suspension Issue HELP

Post by S15DET »

Ah, found it!

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=11248

And check out the last post, sounds like your situation.
Brad
datsun5104dr
Supporter

Post by datsun5104dr »

Thanks Brad! I'll do one Side and see if it helps. Or maybe I'll just get smaller head bolts! Appreciate the help!
-Mike
'68 Datsun 510 4DR
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I've been working/playing with 510's/Datsun's since 1976, I have never seen the ball joint on the bottom of the lower control arm. They all have always been on top, this goes for the Z, 610,710 also. If it came bottom mounted, someone replaced it and installed it incorrectly. Have you asked Futofab about this interference issue Mike?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
datsun5104dr
Supporter

Post by datsun5104dr »

Three B's Racing wrote:I've been working/playing with 510's/Datsun's since 1976, I have never seen the ball joint on the bottom of the lower control arm. They all have always been on top, this goes for the Z, 610,710 also. If it came bottom mounted, someone replaced it and installed it incorrectly. Have you asked Futofab about this interference issue Mike?
Lou, this is why I'm confused haha. I sent a couple pics to Dave and he said it looked fine and was installed correctly.
-Mike
'68 Datsun 510 4DR
datsun5104dr
Supporter

Post by datsun5104dr »

There's a link that S15DET sent a couple posts back. Some people have it mounted the other way as well so i don't know which way is correct...
-Mike
'68 Datsun 510 4DR
Three B's Racing
Supporter

On top is correct. If you mount it below the control arm it's only going to put the bolt head closer to the arms surface. I was looking at mine yesterday, I have the Futofab steel LCAs' and I have plenty of room. Are the steering knuckles stock from your 510? I ask because if from another earlier 510 maybe their thicker at the bolt hole putting the head to close to the LCA. If your have these issues I'd imagine a stock LCA wouldn't be any different with the same components. The ball joints are stock for a 510 right?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
datsun5104dr
Supporter

Post by datsun5104dr »

The steering knuckles came off my stock suspension. The ball joints are by MOOG, yes stock 510. ill end up getting smaller "head" bolts
-Mike
'68 Datsun 510 4DR
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

S15DET wrote:Ah, found it!

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=11248

And check out the last post, sounds like your situation.
Brad
I just updated the thread that Brad linked here with photos from the factory service manual, just to clarify how these were delivered from the factory. This backs up what Lou stated, and I admit i have only mounted the ball joint on top as per the FSM.

Brad puts in a good argument for reversal with his posts, read on and make your decision from there.

Brad - good to have you back BTW :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Thanks for the pics from the FSM Byron.

Mike, try it with the ball joint on top of the LCA, this should solve your bolt head interference problem.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Brad does put in a good argument and hey if it works for you with no issues why not? I wonder if Mike's "datsun5104dr" ball joints are simply shorter in the mounting stud lowering the bolts closer to the LCA? Mike I'm going to ask a question and please don't take it as me questioning your ability. You didn't use a early 69' ball joint with a later steering knuckle did you? Being the early BJ would have a smaller diameter mounting stud which would allow the later knuckle to drop lower?,,,,maybe? Hell maybe I'm asking a dumb ass question.

Feeling the Flame..

Lou
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

S15DET wrote:Thanks for the pics from the FSM Byron.

Mike, try it with the ball joint on top of the LCA, this should solve your bolt head interference problem.
He does have the ball joint on top of the LCA. If Mike were to put the BJ under the LCA then he'd have to contend with the tall nylock nut which is taller than the bolt head. Like I said I have the steel FUTOFAB LCA's and TC rods. Their the same thickness and I have my ball joints on top with a ton of room. I'm thinking the ball joints are incorrect in that it's shorter maybe? lowering the steering knuckle closer to the LCA? If you do a google search on "Datsun 510 lower control arm" or the like making sure you've selected pictures, you'll get a ton of setups.

Now I'm confused..
- John Lennon
datsun5104dr
Supporter

Post by datsun5104dr »

No question is ever stupid Lou! It's stupid if you don't ask... Now, 1.) I'm not sure what year the ball joint is actually for... Says 68-73. I know there's another one I saw available, but it was a completely different bolt pattern. I know it's a MOOG brand. Believe part number K9011? I will double check it tomorrow... 2.) the knuckle came on the car and I don't know how to tell which year knuckle it is. The car was pretty badly hacked so it wouldn't surprise me if its not the correct one...
-Mike
'68 Datsun 510 4DR