hot dipped subs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
RMS
Supporter

hot dipped subs

Postby RMS » 04 Apr 2016 17:55

my collection of rear sub frames and control arms dwindles and I was wondering what is the best way to preserve the one's still in stock ?

I have stripped down 5 complete rear ends and was thinking of having them blasted and epoxied or powder coated.....but that dose nothing to address the cancer within. so I thought maybe hot dip galvanize would be the cure. now the process hits 450, adds weight and makes it a bastard to service after the fact ...adding Byron's brackets, gussets...well any kind of welding but it would take care of the rust

what are your thoughts on hot dipping sub frames ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

defdes
Supporter

Re: hot dipped subs

Postby defdes » 05 Apr 2016 05:27

The only problems I would see would be adding thickness to parts that receive other parts and if there are any sealed volumes in the control arms, that holes would need to be drilled to allow the fluid in and out and not have them explode during the dipping process.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 05 Apr 2016 05:56

Yeah, the outside status can be assessed and dealt with fairly easily (blast, coat). It's the inside of the arms that will determine if the parts need help. Might consider drilling a 1/2" hole in each arm to assess the interior status, then deal with as appropriate.

If considering longevity, you might also come up with a comprehensive a-arm reinforcement plan (as if you were reinforcing for coilovers) and execute on all sets before coating the inside/outside.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 06 Apr 2016 11:05

okayfine wrote:If considering longevity, you might also come up with a comprehensive a-arm reinforcement plan (as if you were reinforcing for coilovers) and execute on all sets before coating the inside/outside.

these things im considering, but should I bother...... is there a market for reconditioned subs?

if I Byron bracket, reinforce, strip, dip, coat or plate and add new bushes whats it worth ? is there a market? what would you pay?

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 07 Apr 2016 06:20

Is there a market? Sure, but not a big one - these parts were overengineered and have more than stood the test of time. But it may well be that you're in the best spot (Canada) for this venture, since rust is a more basic fact of life.

If I were you and I wanted to do what you're proposing, I'd do up one complete sub, photograph it, market it. But there's no way I'd do all five at the same time, even though that would cost less. One the one hand, there will be people that need these parts (now or in the future), on the other hand since it's never been offered there isn't a ready line of people having already expressed interest.

As always with 510s, you would probably do better to part out your subs. Offer the reconditioned crossmembers with Byron's brackets installed (and enlarged exhaust holes?!). Offer reconditioned rear arms with reinforcement for coilovers. Offer a break on the price if they buy the complete sub. People running coilovers will have probably gone to an adjustable rear crossmember already, but may not have reworked the arms. People wanting an adjustable crossmember may not have upgraded to coilovers yet. Etc.

Thing is, no one is currently offering these things, AFAIK. But no one was offering a bolt-in, large-capacity aluminum fuel tank and I built one and no one was interested, so...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 07 Apr 2016 09:02

okayfine wrote:Is there a market? Sure, but not a big one

I hear ya, in ten years I have sold one complete "drum to drum" 4 or 5 passenger side arms and 2 drivers side arms.
okayfine wrote:I'd do up one complete sub, photograph it, market it. But there's no way I'd do all five at the same time, even though that would cost less

there's the rub.....silver city has a minimum charge and the cost would be the same to do them all vs just one.

mainly Im trying to condense and preserve my stash of parts but I don't want to do something that will devalue the parts Im trying to preserve.

WxMan
Supporter

Postby WxMan » 07 Apr 2016 11:23

Datsport offers a few options : http://www.datsport.com/suspension-rear-pricelist.html Obviously shipping to North America rules that out for most people.

For what it's worth I'm in the marked for what you're talking about doing. My rear subframe is in pretty good shape, as far as I know, but I'd like Byron's brackets and the exhaust enlarged. Having the rest restored and beefed up to better than new would be a bonus. I can't imagine the whole thing will be cheap but I plan to keep my car forever and am willing to pay for quality work. I don't have the tools or skills to be doing this stuff myself so either way I'm going to have to pay if I want to play.
Russell

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 07 Apr 2016 20:24

RMS wrote:but I don't want to do something that will devalue the parts Im trying to preserve.

I don't see this as a worry. People that are going to be concerned are going to want the upgrades proposed.

OUTthere

Postby OUTthere » 08 Apr 2016 08:29

I would have bought one a year ago (look at the damn rust on rotor) instead of doing mine. All I would consider adding if I were you RMS is the option to purchase a newly rebuilt r200 with LSD with your rebuilt X-member and arms.
Attachments
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 003.JPG
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 003.JPG (453.03 KiB) Viewed 510 times
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 005.JPG
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 005.JPG (461.92 KiB) Viewed 510 times
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 004.JPG
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 004.JPG (430.93 KiB) Viewed 510 times
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 002.JPG
fj is killing me & datsun stuff 002.JPG (439.82 KiB) Viewed 510 times

Return to “Suspension”